Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bristol or Edinburgh to live...?

• 15-04-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭

Guys, i cant decide between the two. Which one is the better city?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Both are great. Bristol is sunnier in disposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Mod: moved to United Kingdom forum
    Their charter now applies. Please read it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056174830

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

i put it in AH for hope of a better response, any chance of moving it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You won't get better responses in AH.

Edinburgh is an amazing city, I'd choose that of the two.

From what it seems you don't have a job lined up in any of the places?
    Why these two?

i have been offered a job in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Bristol, Come for pints with me!!!

When we going :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It depends what you're looking for and what you're used to, I'd say. What do you enjoy doing? What do you like about where you are now? What would you go mad without?

In terms of size and population, they're similar enough so it's really more about what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, have you ever visited either?

• Advertisement

just edinburgh, yeah i liked it but have not visited bristol.heard good things, i guess i should take a trip. just wanted other peoples opinions as i know people on here would have been to both. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tough enough choice I'd imagine.
    I live in Edinburgh so biased, but I've heard good things about Bristol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Have visited Edinburgh but was on a two month job in Bristol. Winters are easier in the South. Theres a good few Irish students in Bristol (and in Edinburgh also) Sportswise Bristol is better located for rugby horse racing etc.
    I would choose Bristol but both are good spots. I get the impression though that Edinburgh can be a bit too much of a tourist city

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I moved to Edinburgh 6 months ago after 7 years in London, and I've visited Bristol a few times - though mostly for comic conventions so I haven't really seen enough of the place to really have a proper feel to it.

Thus far I have the feeling there's definitely more tourist-oriented stuff in Edinburgh - it doesn't bother me much because I'm inured to it from living in London, but if you're not used to it I think it could be a bit jarring, especially if you end up spending much time near the Royal Mile.

And yes, winter in the South is definitely easier. Not just the temperature but also the increased amount of rain, cloudy weather and wind in Edinburgh takes some getting used to. Evenings are a bit shorter in winter too, though the reverse is also true in summer (which I look forward to enjoying later in the year).

In terms of size and population, the two places are actually similar enough as far as I can tell.

^^^ Fysh the summer's here are pretty damn good.
    Never really gets "hot" but you have high teens, pushing low twenties and the sun is out until ~20.

If you don't get the Meadows with a disposable BBQ and some Inis & Gunn you miss out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Fysh wrote: »
    Evenings are a bit shorter in winter too, though the reverse is also true in summer (which I look forward to enjoying later in the year).

I have to get the 5.40am train to London for work sometimes and those mornings in August when the sun's just coming up and everyone is still coming back from the festival are a combination of special and surreal.

It never gets properly dark either at the height of summer, like it's 6 hours of twilight and the sun's back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Been at all three, Bristol is better by miles than either Ldn or Edin, the main issue with Scotland is it's freezing most of the time. You'd be a short hop across to Cardiff also or few hours to Ldn via the aul Trams into Paddington. Getting to Holyhead would be a bit easier also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

To be honest, they're very similar cities in terms of size, population, student vibe, tonnes of festivals etc.

Architecture wise Edinburgh is amazing, one of the best looking cities in Europe in my book. Arthurs Seat etc., incredible city. Also beats Bristol for public transport hands down and outdoors pursuits with the Highlands on your doorstep.

Otherwise the major difference is the music and to a lesser extent sports scene were Bristol definately has the upper hand. However remember Glasgow is under an hour on the train so you can often head there for gigs and better sports facilities.

Fysh wrote: »
    I moved to Edinburgh 6 months ago after 7 years in London, and I've visited Bristol a few times - though mostly for comic conventions so I haven't really seen enough of the place to really have a proper feel to it.

Thus far I have the feeling there's definitely more tourist-oriented stuff in Edinburgh - it doesn't bother me much because I'm inured to it from living in London, but if you're not used to it I think it could be a bit jarring, especially if you end up spending much time near the Royal Mile.

And yes, winter in the South is definitely easier. Not just the temperature but also the increased amount of rain, cloudy weather and wind in Edinburgh takes some getting used to. Evenings are a bit shorter in winter too, though the reverse is also true in summer (which I look forward to enjoying later in the year).

In terms of size and population, the two places are actually similar enough as far as I can tell.

Just noticed this Fysh, while Edinburgh is definitely colder and wetter than the south of England, it is actually significantly drier than most Irish cities, including Dublin where I'm guessing the OP is coming from.

True enough with it being dry, it doesn't rain that often, now the wind is a completely different matter.

• Advertisement

It's rains fúck all in bristol. but really písses down when it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I lived in Edinburgh if we had a choice we would be living there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Interesting thread. I am thinking of moving back closer to home next year, and Bristol sounds like a really good option. The weather is a really big factor and so long as it doesnt rain all that much, I think it could be quite a good place to settle! Unemployment rates are riduculously low (3.9% or something!), only a couple of hours on a train from London, and you've got the great outdoors on your doorstep! Plus an international airport for all your weekend breaks to Europe and back home!

Sounds like an ideal spot to set up to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am just back from a stags in bristol and loved the place, it was my first time there. I have been to Edinburgh a few times and up to that point, it was my favourite uk city that I have been to and I have been to quite a few. I dont think there is much in them, but the far milder winters in Bristol and hotter summers would definitely be a big enough factor for me... I dont think you can make the decision without visiting Bristol first op, then also factor in the cost of rent and living in both cities...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Bristol, brighter, better weather !!!!!:)

Some great responses here, the bristol job ended up falling through last minute! But im keeping my eye out on other positions there.
    I intend to take a trip over there soon to check it out though.

Some great responses here, the bristol job ended up falling through last minute! But im keeping my eye out on other positions there.
    I intend to take a trip over there soon to check it out though.

What line of work are you in?
    I know of one Financial Services firm that has big offices in both cities, you could almost use it to make the best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Winter weather can be grim in Edinburgh, much worse than Ireland. Bristol is a brighter place to live with easy access to Somerset &Cornwall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I live in Bristol and have done for the last few years. Its a great city it really is. I always say if you are bored in Bristol there is something wrong with you not the city. Music, the arts, history, good weather, fine food, the street food, the closing down the main street to put a waterslide on it for the craic, the weather, the location. Jasus I love this place :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Personally I wouldn't choose to live in either of them ( London / Home Counties is where the action is ), but if forced to choose between the Edinburgh would get my vote. Bristol is far too isolated and parochial.

Long Gone wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't choose to live in either of them ( London / Home Counties is where the action is ), but if forced to choose between the Edinburgh would get my vote. Bristol is far too isolated and parochial.

Oh not again. Not everyone wants or indeed needs to live in the south-east of England unless you're involved in the financial sector and even then Edinburgh is pretty good work-wise in that regard. The quality of life in Edinburgh is far superior to that of London and the south-east with the exception of weather. Why is this so hard to understand for a certain sub-group of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Keep this thread on topic please. You may not agree with others' opinions but dragging the thread into an argument will result in disciplinary action.

Thank you,
    Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Haven't met one person to say a bad word against Bristol. I've heard there's plenty of work going on too! Decent sized city, friendly people, international airport and only a couple of hours on a train to London. Can think of worse spots to set up!!

Undertow wrote: »
    Haven't met one person to say a bad word against Bristol.

They obviously haven't been to St. Pauls then ! .:D

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/stabbed-violence-hits-St-Paul-s-Carnival-2014/story-21338114-detail/story.html

The rental market in Bristol is a fúckin nightmare.

• Advertisement

The rental market in Bristolthe UK is a fúckin nightmare.

Fixed that for you ;)

Honestly not meaning to diminish any difficulties you've had in Bristol, just suggesting that it's a widespread thing here - I've found both London and Edinburgh to be a stressful pain in the hole in terms of finding rental accommodation, especially with a pet cat, compared to Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

any tips on trying to find accom in bristol? best to go through estate agents?

zweton wrote: »

www.rightmove.co.uk

Looking to share or rent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Looking to share or rent?

im thinking share initially until i get on my feet.

• Advertisement

im thinking share initially until i get on my feet.

Gumtree is your friend there, try and get one where the rent, bills, council are all included. Will make moving gaff easier.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Gumtree is your friend there, try and get one where the rent, bills, council are all included. Will make moving gaff easier.

I remember when I first moved to London in 1985. I lived 17 to a dormitory room (mixed) in Paddington - £5 per night or £30 if you paid for a full week in advance ! The ensuing entertainment (including a very attractive young German girl who insisted in stripping naked in full view of everyone else in the dorm) came free ! .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Anyone ever teach and live in Bristol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brideygreen

Having lived in Edinburgh for a year, and the UK for 7, I have visited Bristol a lot as I have a lot of friends there, my preference would definitely be Bristol. In 2015 it won the green capital of Europe (the year previously was Copenhagen) as it has a fantastic quality of life there. If you are interested in sustainable living, food, local brewing, vibrant music scene, art and culture, Bristol really trumps Edinburgh. While edinburgh is classically and architecturally beautiful, it really lacks the progressive vibrance of Bristol, and is a bit more stuffy, and posh!!! It is also much less socially diverse than Bristol. In Edinburgh most of the poorer housing areas have been pushed outside the city, whereas Bristol has a really diverse social urban environment, which is fantastic, and many of the areas which were quite rough in the 90's have been really revitalised because of the arts scene.

Edinburgh is a fantastic city also, but a lot more conservative, and full of tourists in the summertime. Its also quite cold and dark there in the winter, it is considerably milder and brighter down south!

Bristol has a really progressive mayor at the moment, and as a city it really promotes independent businesses, it also attracts a lot of university graduates to stay there because the quality of life is so good. It's also not too far from Devon, if you are into surfing etc, and Bristol has a large surf community.

I would highly recommend visiting both to get a feel for the places before you choose! Let me know if you have anymore questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just saw this thread and now very excited! Moving to Bristol in June yay!

I lived mainly in Birmingham/midlands for 4 years til now so I have a very low baseline, haha. Looking forward to meeting new people, training for a triathlon, soaking up the Somerset countryside, surfing in Devon etc etc!

Are there many Irish people living there? I swear to god I'm not someone who only hangs out with fellow Irish but just curious :P

I've only been to Bristol once before but you know when you just like somewhere straight away. Having been to Edinburgh a few times and from the experience of a friend who did a masters there, think Bristol wins out overall. Edinburgh is beautiful and fun but freezing, and even if you have no interest in the south east, you're likely to have friends who live there, like me. I don't fancy being so far away from my friends in London, while not actually wanting to live in London myself!

I've heard of people moving to Scotland and never being heard from again as the effort of getting up and down is just too much. Sad but true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Maybe its because once they reach Scotland they never want to leave! Going from Edinburgh to London is actually nice and easy I've done it a few times just for the day and takes less time than it used to take me to get from work to home when I lived in London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Shelga

£100+ for a train ticket though... :( And that's assuming you plan well ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Shelga wrote: »

You can fly for half of that including transfer to/from Stansted.

Shelga wrote: »

Where are you getting these prices from?

You can fly London Edinburgh for under 30 quid return quite a lot of the time. Even the trains are usually under about 70 quid return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Where are you getting these prices from?

You can fly London Edinburgh for under 30 quid return quite a lot of the time. Even the trains are usually under about 70 quid return.

Bristol to Edinburgh a few times a day with Easy Jet. Quick, cheap and easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement