Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE?? 6th year LC Autism + Professor of Psychology

• 15-04-2015 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to say this is a bit hard because I am on the Autism Spectrum (I have a autism but can function some what in the world) , and have 2 months left in the LC.

After school I wish to progress my education level in college or university and become a professor of Mathematics, a BC in Business and a professor of psychology.

I have been working since 5th class and have saved every penny, along with birthdays,extra work and confirmation (6th class),and other money and all the money I got I put it into the bank, as a result I have enough money to pay for a degree for a professor of psychology and a BC in Business.

I have taken tests of a fake leaving cert and got above 450 points, I have pretty much learned off the whole course of the leaving cert.

Check List ( I like lists, its part of my ASD :) ):
    - Money saved for college
    - Points (I am 99% sure I will get the points)

May you give advice to me please?

Thank You.

Best Regards,
    Paul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to say this is a bit hard because I am on the Autism Spectrum (I have a autism but can function some what in the world) , and have 2 months left in the LC.

After school I wish to progress my education level in college or university and become a professor of Mathematics, a BC in Business and a professor of psychology.

I have been working since 5th class and have saved every penny, along with birthdays,extra work and confirmation (6th class),and other money and all the money I got I put it into the bank, as a result I have enough money to pay for a degree for a professor of psychology and a BC in Business.

I have taken tests of a fake leaving cert and got above 450 points, I have pretty much learned off the whole course of the leaving cert.

Check List ( I like lists, its part of my ASD :) ):
    - Money saved for college
    - Points (I am 99% sure I will get the points)

May you give advice to me please?

Thank You.

Best Regards,
    Paul.

Are you willing to spend that many years in education? As far as I'm aware, to teach in a University/college, you need a phD in the field. They usually consume, give or take seven years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 cavedwelling

Are you willing to spend that many years in education? As far as I'm aware, to teach in a University/college, you need a phD in the field. They usually consume, give or take seven years.

Yes, I fully know it will take a long time. I also don't plan on teaching as in my opinion teaching in this world is a complete waste of time.

I have a caravan (on the wheels) thing and I will drive it around and do my study in the caravan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, I fully know it will take a long time. I also don't plan on teaching as in my opinion teaching in this world is a complete waste of time.
    Um, well, just to be clear, a "Professor" is a senior academic appointment, and such appointments almost always include teaching duties.

There are such things as "Research Professor of ___" posts, but they are very few and far between in this country anyway, and even at that it would be very unusual to see someone appointed to such a post without coming up through the ranks, including more junior academic posts which would have included teaching duties!

Um, well, just to be clear, a "Professor" is a senior academic appointment, and such appointments almost always include teaching duties.

There are such things as "Research Professor of ___" posts, but they are very few and far between in this country anyway, and even at that it would be very unusual to see someone appointed to such a post without coming up through the ranks, including more junior academic posts which would have included teaching duties!

As a matter of fact, that sounds like a great idea. Thank you.
    I now want to become a teacher.

My plan is to teach in schools and drive around in my caravan around Ireland, some nights I will travel around Ireland and lets say like on monday with school I would stay up all saturday night driving up back to the school ready to teach.

any advice guys? come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 JK2015

From the OP its not clear if you want to be involved in maths/psych/business or all three (impossible). regardless, becoming a professor is no mean feat - the majority of those employed by universities are lecturers, researchers, drs, etc. To get a phd is difficult enough, let alone to be employed in academia afterwards. then progression through numerous levels, including considerable contributions to education and research within the field are needed before an academic is even considered for a professorship. my advice to you would be to focus on one field and see where that takes you. At 17/18, you are far too young to know exactly what kind of life you want. what is it about being a professor appeals to you?? your plan appears wildly ambitious and poorly thought out tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement