Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graduate construction

Options
  • 15-04-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi i just was wondering if anybody could answer a few questions for me. Im considering heading to Austrailia this year and am just wondering if it would be difficult getting a job without much experience. I will finished my degree in construction management soon and am just wondering how people how found getting jobs in their field as recent graduates?
    Any information would be appreciated?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

You could get lucky, you might not..

It's hard to get a break here without local experience, I'm in that boat right now, (QS - 2 years Irish civils experience) and it is not particularly easy to get anything - even interviews are hard come by. I have been offered a graduate role that I had to turn down as it was only offering a $40k salary (Couldn't afford to live on it myself) - which unfortunately seems to be the going rate for a graduate - in Melbourne at least.

If you have any form of contacts here your best bet by far would be to utilise them, the foot in the door is the hardest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alee251

Yea thanks, connections always is a huge thing i suppose to getting a foot in. Ive already spent two years in Canada working outside the construction field. The main reason i came home was to finish the degree so i would be able to get a better job.
    I would hate to go out there and not be able to get a decent job.
    Thats the gamble i suppose. Is it really not possible to live on $40,000? Just till you get the experience. Im probably going to take bad wages somewhere for a start unless i get a job in London maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

alee251 wrote: »
    Hi i just was wondering if anybody could answer a few questions for me. Im considering heading to Austrailia this year and am just wondering if it would be difficult getting a job without much experience. I will finished my degree in construction management soon and am just wondering how people how found getting jobs in their field as recent graduates?
    Any information would be appreciated?

Thanks

Will be difficult for you I'd say, espically (assuming) if you are on a working holiday visa?
    Best bet could be to try to pick up some construction labouring work to begin with and look out for opportunities from within the industry while also of course applying for jobs as you would normally.
    There is unfortunately a bit of an oversupply of construction professionals of all sorts at moment so prepare for a long slog ....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alee251

yea it would be a working holiday visa. Maybe ill just try to get some experience here or London and it might be a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

alee251 wrote: »
    yea it would be a working holiday visa. Maybe ill just try to get some experience here or London and it might be a better option

Perhaps..., Aus is not doing too good at the moment jobs wise at least in WA.
    Bit of an exodus taking place at moment of Irish leaving aus to head home again.

If you're not too fussed about working in your profession Aus for 12-24 months is a great option but career wise I think you might be better in London to get started.

• Advertisement
Advertisement