Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merida Crossway hybrid tyres for trails

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I've ridden some of the local single track near me on my hybrid with schwalbe land cruiser tyres on it. It was mad sketchy and really slow, but totally do-able. Both tyres you listed would be more than ready for a bit of trail riding. Not too clued in on cyclocross but I'd be looking into them tyres too if they'd fit your wheels.

Be very careful of your wheels too, I've had to true the front wheel on my hybrid after doing some daft stuff, so try not to ride any drops or jumps on it. Best thing you can do is take it handy and get a feel for the way the bike handles before trying to go fast. You'll find you have really good fun at it after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭traume

JBokeh wrote: »
    I've ridden some of the local single track near me on my hybrid with schwalbe land cruiser tyres on it. It was mad sketchy and really slow, but totally do-able. Both tyres you listed would be more than ready for a bit of trail riding. Not too clued in on cyclocross but I'd be looking into them tyres too if they'd fit your wheels.

Be very careful of your wheels too, I've had to true the front wheel on my hybrid after doing some daft stuff, so try not to ride any drops or jumps on it. Best thing you can do is take it handy and get a feel for the way the bike handles before trying to go fast. You'll find you have really good fun at it after a while

Cheers!
    The size is tyres are worrying, but let's try. Once noone else is giving any advice, I'm going to order Smart Sams.
    I really doubt I would dear to go fast at the start, that can be lethal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've a MTB with slicks for commuting, I would say the you need the tread/knobblies for grip as I have none on grass or mud/gravel. The fatter the tyre it will be more cushioning. But I don't think you need to get some fat tyre just to go off road. A hybrid tyre with knobblies would be enough. The fatter tyre would take some of the impact out of hitting stones, roots etc. If theres none of that, then you'd probably be ok.

I'm guessing though, I've not done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭traume

Today changed to Smart Sam 28x1.75. Amazing tyres. Just put on 20km on them, so nice and comfy ride. Now I'm ready for snail slow Ballinastoe.

Advertisement