Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is conduit required in this situation.

Options
  • 15-04-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I have a shed which I am converting to a games room and temporary living/ sleeping quarters. I want to add a few sockets, wall lights and tv.
    The internal wall is unplastered 6 inch solid blocks. I can drill one inch holes down the center of these walls for cables as I dont want the wall chased and I dont want visible conduit.
    Just wondering do I need to drill a certain size to allow for conduit or can the cables just be pulled through the concrete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

2 stroke wrote: »
    I have a shed which I am converting to a games room and temporary living/ sleeping quarters. I want to add a few sockets, wall lights and tv.
    The internal wall is unplastered 6 inch solid blocks. I can drill one inch holes down the center of these walls for cables as I dont want the wall chased and I dont want visible conduit.
    Just wondering do I need to drill a certain size to allow for conduit or can the cables just be pulled through the concrete?

Its not a good idea to run cables through concrete as it can cause a chemical reaction and erode the insulation on the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Thanks Aido, but I thought that was if cables were in contact with insulation. Theres no insulation in this wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

2 stroke wrote: »
    Thanks Aido, but I thought that was if cables were in contact with insulation. Theres no insulation in this wall.

It's the concrete that erodes the cable not the insulation.

Advertisement