Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Fish Finders

• 15-04-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Right so off soon to fish Milltown Lough/lake near Shercock, usually I'd be a shore angler and mainly canals but will have the chance of using a boat to explore the lake, some 32 hectares in area ( how big is a hectare anyway? )

number 14 on the map
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/pike/north/cootehill.htm

so, only having 2 -3 days to get the junior with me hooked on fishing and needing (almost) guaranteed results

Anybody ever used one?

Are they any good?

Does anyone rent them out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

I can draw you a rough bathymetric map from my head. Doing quite fishing there from belly boat with fishfinder. Im using humminbird fishin buddy cheapest version costed me ca 200e. It is mainly about2m deep with 3 deeper pools up to 10m deep. Pike fishing wasnt great last 2 visits i managed only to get few fish a day. In november december i was catching 10+ fish in few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

MarcinG wrote: »
    I can draw you a rough bathymetric map from my head. Doing quite fishing there from belly boat with fishfinder. Im using humminbird fishin buddy cheapest version costed me ca 200e. It is mainly about2m deep with 3 deeper pools up to 10m deep. Pike fishing wasnt great last 2 visits i managed only to get few fish a day. In november december i was catching 10+ fish in few hours.

Any chance of pm'ing a sketch map to where the deeper pools are?

If I could find somewhere that rented them out I could be inclined to spend €20-€40 for a week but €200 too much for the amount of use it would get
    :(

Cant sent pm with attachment.

Hectare is a quarter of the acre i think.
    Pm sent.
    I would look for pike on shallows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yes but only hand scetch from mobile. Ps 1 acre is 4 hectares? Ps if you after pike they may be on shallows.

Dunno, never been a serious Pikey man (yet) but I figured that if they like cooler water then look for the deeps.

Probably spend all the time trolling and cover all the lake but knowing the whereabouts of the deep pools will allow some variation if nothing else seems to be working.

• Advertisement

Hectare is a quarter of the acre i think.
    Pm sent.
    I would look for pike on shallows.
    One at the top is about 5m deep one beside island in the middle similar one at the bottom of the map goes to about 11m. Picture is only rough idea. All depending on water level ofcourse.

Pm me with email. Mobile made map is to big for reply attachment.

Advertisement