Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contributory widows pension

Options
  • 15-04-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

my husband of 34yrs died by suicide and I am currently sorting out money etc. It is a night mare. we both were working, no kids and I was told to apply for contributory widows pension. So I have this week. I was told that my wages would probably be taxed a lot more now ( My net is 600e) and that I would then get the pension. I have a lot of bills and loans. Just wondering has anyone any idea on this please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

Firstly I am sorry for your loss.

You will pay more tax because you will have more income, the pension is a taxable income so your tax credits will be reduced to take into account the extra source of income. If you are near a Citizens Information office you should pop in to talk to someone who can explain it or call their helpline.

Were the loans in your husbands name? If so have you checked if there is any death benefit on them, like for example with some credit union loans. Possibly again Citizens Info could give you advice in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

You can claim extra tax credits for a number of years after being widowed, which should help offset the increase in tax.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section1

Advertisement