Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD Recommendation

Options
  • 15-04-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Looking for a reliable 250GB SSD or my Acer Aspire 5740 which has lasted a good few years now but getting a bit sluggish and hot.

So what is everyone else using and any good deals going?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If it's getting hot an SSD isn't necessarily the solution. It might be as simple as a clogged up heat sink fins. Pop it open and give it a blast from a compressed air can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Nolars wrote: »
    Looking for a reliable 250GB SSD or my Acer Aspire 5740 which has lasted a good few years now but getting a bit sluggish and hot.

So what is everyone else using and any good deals going?

Thanks

Have you been writing lots of data to it over its lifespan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

5uspect wrote: »
    If it's getting hot an SSD isn't necessarily the solution. It might be as simple as a clogged up heat sink fins. Pop it open and give it a blast from a compressed air can.

Ya thinking of giving it a good going over new ssd, bit of a clean etc. Have thermal paste from my PC build wondering if its grand to re-apply this after giving it a clean?

Saganist wrote: »
    Have you been writing lots of data to it over its lifespan ?

Lots of torrents if that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Lots of torrents if that counts

Oooh. If the SSD is old, as you say, and you're doing lots of write/read/write then you might be wearing the SSD out.

Not related, but.

Personally, I'd use a small SSD for the boot device and then a an internal/external HDD for downloads etc..

Saganist wrote: »
    Oooh. If the SSD is old, as you say, and you're doing lots of write/read/write then you might be wearing the SSD out.

Not related, but.

Personally, I'd use a small SSD for the boot device and then a an internal/external HDD for downloads etc..

I dont have a SSD at the moment im buying one.

Currently have a 200gb HD so a 250GB SSD is atually more storage :D

So any suggestions from my OP on SSD's for a decent price :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

I dont have a SSD at the moment im buying one.

Currently have a 200gb HD so a 250GB SSD is atually more storage :D

So any suggestions from my OP on SSD's for a decent price :D

I'd recommend a Samsung Evo 850 250GB, can be gotten for a good price on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I picked up the 500GB version of this last month and have no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

getting a bit sluggish and hot
    Open her up, and see if the fan is good again after a burst of compressed air.

If the fan isn't moving at all, even after the blast of air, consider having replacing the fan. Have replaced a few fans of old laptops that were completely dead, and the replacement fan only usually cost a tenner or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

samsung best for price; intel if you want to pay more for best reliability generally available (but samsung is v reliable already and cheaper); don't use ocz drives - slow and unreliable.

Agree that clogged air vent is more likely the issue. Processor might be being throttled to avoid overheating and damage. I think clogged vents are especially likely when there is an air intake on the bottom and the computer is ever put on a dusty surface like a carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Yeah that'll do the job. The difference between a regular hdd & any ssd is night and day. The Samsung drives are faster, but they're also more expensive. OCZ did have a poor reputation for reliability, but that drive is new & doesn't seem to be causing bother. It regularly goes on sale at £59.99 if you want to wait & save yourself a few quid.

As for the difference in speed between it and pricier drives, you won't notice it 99% of the time, especially in an older laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I wouldn't touch the OCZ. The brand is known for terrible SSD's. They have been taken over by toshiba, but I'd want to wait a year to see what the drives actually look like.

Crucial gets my vote. More or less the same price, and fantastic drives.

Advertisement