Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on import from China

Options
  • 15-04-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All

I was hoping someone could advise.

I have just made a purchase totalling €74.00, including shipping, from China.

I read on the revenue website beforehand that this amount is below the threshold for Duties but that the usual 23% rate of VAT would be applied, i.e. €17.02.

Unfortunately, I am now being charged €46 instead of €17; a €10 handling fee by DHL (I hadn't anticipated but makes sense) plus an additional charge of 23% over €85 in shipping costs that I did not actually pay!

The lady I spoke to at DHL says this is standard practice by customs. I asked where I might lodge a complaint and she said that wasn't possible because the package was marked with a triple x?? Sounds very odd.

Is anyone familiar with this customs procedure and is there any official route to dispute the additional charge?

Thanks in advance,

RJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rj1908

Update:

DHL admitted it had been their mistake. They should have contacted me if they doubted the invoice details provided.

They have made the changes to the documentation so that I'm now paying 23% on the €74 only.

In terms of the money I "saved" it was definitely not worth the effort but there is some satisfaction in getting the problem resolved.

Hope this helps someone in the same position.

cheers

Advertisement