Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Kilkenny People a political newspaper?

Options
  • 15-04-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I do not intend to anyone by this post. Well, as this is my first thread on the boards forum I thought I'd start if of in the Kilkenny City and County Boards. Recently I've noticed the Kilkenny People seems to be supporting the 'Mayor' a lot recently and has a strong bias against travellers. I think there reporting tends to be one-sided. I'd just like to get a discussion going, does anyone agree the Kilkenny People is becoming a political paper rather then the local paper we all expect to read. I wish there was an open-minded, independent paper in Kilkenny. Does anyone agree we need a new newspaper in Kilkenny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Part of the "people" group? Which is owned by INM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ditch print, do a Kilkenny version of Journal.ie.
    Fewer overheads.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

catbear wrote: »
    Ditch print, do a Kilkenny version of Journal.ie.
    Fewer overheads.

There is already a Kilkenny version the journal.ie lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Yes indeed, the Kilkenny Journal, that right wing bastion of balance....oh wait now, rivers of bile & blood spew forth from Mick McGraths brain onto the internet and gain traction.

The Kilkenny People is like Ulysses compared to Micks Ann & Barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

vicwatson wrote: »
    Part of the "people" group? Which is owned by INM

Not part of the People group and not owned by INM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Do people still buy papers? I haven't bought one in years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mankbag wrote: »
    Not part of the People group and not owned by INM.
    Correct, it's independent from Independent News & Media
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The quality of reporting is shockingly poor and weighted in favour of the council and as mentioned, the mayor in particular.

A legitimate online news service for Kilkenny would be very welcome, particularly if it was impartial, well written and ideally had Michael McGrath nowhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

It's turning into the mayors personal "photo op" scrapbook, fed up seeing him on every second page but nice to see him referred to this week as mayor Martin McGuinness. Their website is worse, it reported on a chap from Comer that was missing for two weeks after he was found and buried and guess who's face is top of the pile this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I look at it to see randomers out drinking to celebrate their auntie Doris's 80th or someone collecting their degree in teaching. Earth shattering news like that. Then you have untold pages on hurling, gripping stuff, but most importantly you get to see the RIP page.

Don't think they know how to actually report anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I remember when the local election were on their website and FB page had a headline and article "Sad day for politics in Kilkenny as Cllr. Ireland is eliminated".
    Then a few hours later after the independent Cllr. Breda Gardener was elected they ran with "Women who believes in fairies is elected to the council".
    WTF, a teenager wouldn't put that up - it's a joke of a paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

1984baby wrote: »
    I remember when the local election were on their website and FB page had a headline and article "Sad day for politics in Kilkenny as Cllr. Ireland is eliminated".
    Then a few hours later after the independent Cllr. Breda Gardener was elected they ran with "Women who believes in fairies is elected to the council".
    WTF, a teenager wouldn't put that up - it's a joke of a paper.

Does she really believe in Fairies :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Does she really believe in Fairies :confused:

Does it matter? Let people believe in what ever they want want. I see all those people going to mass on a Sunday believing in God. I don't share their belief but let them go about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Threadhead wrote: »
    The quality of reporting is shockingly poor and weighted in favour of the council and as mentioned, the mayor in particular.

A legitimate online news service for Kilkenny would be very welcome, particularly if it was impartial, well written and ideally had Michael McGrath nowhere near it.

If you think the Kilkenny People sucks up to the mayor, you should have a look at the Kilkenny Reporter. It's as if they're his personal PR people.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Katarzyna127

Read this paper a few times, IMHO it does seem to be biased towards FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Was there any polling done for the by-election?

Advertisement