Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardiac Hill...just stop it...

Options
  • 16-04-2015 7:01am

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

Would people just stop calling the side of Torc "Cardiac Hill"?

There is even a Facebook page to it.

Instead of inventing new names for places in Kerry, we should be asking older people in the area what they remember it was called locally in generations gone by and recording it. I bet it wasn't "Cardiac Hill" anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

Would people just stop calling the side of Torc "Cardiac Hill"?

There is even a Facebook page to it.

Instead of inventing new names for places in Kerry, we should be asking older people in the area what they remember it was called locally in generations gone by and recording it. I bet it wasn't "Cardiac Hill" anyway.

someone said that to me recently & I hadn't a clue what they meant!

There is a road in Tralee nicknamed 'the Fat mile'....due to the amount of walkers who use it.....and its not a mile long!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

It was called 'The Front of Torc' walk before, but then the OPW/Council closed the furthest part of the the walk and replaced it with the steps up from the Kenmare Road, the 'Cardiac Hill' stretch. So the name 'Cardiac Hill' hasn't actually replaced any name and is new!

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    It was called 'The Front of Torc' walk before, but then the OPW/Council closed the furthest part of the the walk and replaced it with the steps up from the Kenmare Road, the 'Cardiac Hill' stretch. So the name 'Cardiac Hill' hasn't actually replaced any name and is new!

How old is it? I only started hearing it when the adventure races started.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I've heard girls in their early 20's calling it that for a few years now. Going up a few times a week. Fair play to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

How old is it? I only started hearing it when the adventure races started.

Those 'steps' were put in I reckon 5 years ago.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There is a road in Tralee nicknamed 'the Fat mile'....due to the amount of walkers who use it.....and its not a mile long!:rolleyes:

And the walkway from the Fat Mile to the back of Dunnes along the old railway line has been christened the "skinny mile".:)

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Went up yesterday morning and this afternoon after my soccer game. Absolutely unbelievably stunning! Cardiac hill is a very apt name. Really gets the heart pumping.

Advertisement