Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retention planning confusion !

Options
  • 16-04-2015 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I have a retention planning issue which I need some advice on.

I am looking to buy a mews house which has planning issues.

What I know:

1. The house was built c.late1980s

2. It was one of two identical houses build - they are both semi-detached

3. The house was put up for sale in 2006 and didnt sell so I can only assume that there are some nasties yet to be unearthed

4. The house is in a prime Dublin location and is valued about 75k less then its true value were there not so many issues with planning

5. Because of the planning issues this has to be a cash sale (I have sold my house so I can stretch to this) as no lender will issue a mortgage.

6. The previous owners applied for retention planning permission in 1994 and this was granted but it looks to me like the work on the house doesn't comply with what was agreed.

7. This is a receivership sale so the agents are clueless as to the planning details, the original house owners are obviously out of the picture and the banks just want some money out of the mess. Hence, I can't get any info out of any of them !

So, my confusion is that I cannot seem to get anyone to look at the planning consent and give me a view on 1. whats been agreed 2. whether the house is compliant & 3. what the likelihood is of my getting the retention planning assuming I need it (which I'm convinced I do).

Armed with this information I think I'd be in a good place to put in an offer.

Is anyone able to give advice on the above or refer me to someone good who can do the initial piece anyway?

Thanks so much

Ali

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

A planning consultant should be able to give you a proper view on the situation. As with any professional services it will cost you a little, but it's worth getting it clarified. You could also ask the local authority for a view - from what I understand, some of them will give a view, some of them will tell you to get your own consultant to give a view. Planning records are public domain, so you can request copies from the local authority or find them online in some cases too.

You say they applied for and got retention a while back . . . normally this is after the fact (retaining the development after it has been built) . . . so it's hard to understand how someone would apply for retention of something other than what is already there. If they applied for retention, got it and then did no further development work it should be fine. Unless of course the retention application was flawed.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

zagmund wrote: »
    A planning consultant should be able to give you a proper view on the situation. As with any professional services it will cost you a little, but it's worth getting it clarified. You could also ask the local authority for a view - from what I understand, some of them will give a view, some of them will tell you to get your own consultant to give a view. Planning records are public domain, so you can request copies from the local authority or find them online in some cases too.

You say they applied for and got retention a while back . . . normally this is after the fact (retaining the development after it has been built) . . . so it's hard to understand how someone would apply for retention of something other than what is already there. If they applied for retention, got it and then did no further development work it should be fine. Unless of course the retention application was flawed.

z

The retention grant could have had condition, specific alterations could have been orordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This is basic stuff to many architects/ arch techs/surveyors/ engineers. Get 3 quotes and references and your preferred consultant will review the planning files, survey the house and offer an opinion on what's required to rectify the situation.

Start this ASAP as it can take several weeks to get old planning files from a council

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

A planning consultant will sort this out for you. On the Irish Planning Institute's website there is a list of all planning consultant in Ireland. Have a browse of their websites and find one that suits your needs. It should be fairly bread and butter stuff but getting planning advice from a planning consultant is the best way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

chippers wrote: »
    A planning consultant will sort this out for you. On the Irish Planning Institute's website there is a list of all planning consultant in Ireland. Have a browse of their websites and find one that suits your needs. It should be fairly bread and butter stuff but getting planning advice from a planning consultant is the best way forward.

A planning consultant who doesn't have a construction qualification means the op will end up hiring two professionals

Advertisement