Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meningitis B Vaccine - side effects, procedure, costs

• 16-04-2015 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm about MenB vac again. I want to get my son vaccinated for it, he's 8.5 months. I'd like some feeback from those who got their children vaccinated for it.

so, I rang my gp yesterday to find out more about it. I spoke to the nurse - she's in charge of all vaccinations in the practice. She sounded very apprehensive about it and at the end of conversation she said something along these lines "ok, if you want I'll do it" :( I got an impression I was the first person to inquiry them about MenB vac.

She mentioned that she heard from other nurses about childrens' very bad reactions to these shots. ***How did your child react?

I'd need to do the following: go to the gp to get prescription for the vaccine, go to the chemist to get it ordered in, get app with the nurse when it arrives, collect it from chemists, go the to clinic and get it administered. repeat 3 times. ***What did you have to do?

Also the total cost runs up to 650euros. that's 170eur x3 for the vaccine itself, 30eur x3 for the nurse, 50eur gp prescription. *** How much did you pay?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My first had no reaction at all to it, apart from sleeping a bit more than usual. I paid in or around what you've been quoted, but she only had two shots, I'm going to ask about the booster third shot when I bring my other child for his first Men B shot on Monday. My GP recommended it, and the other GP in the practice who administered the shots because my usual one was away also said she recommends it and had administered it to her grandchildren. Having read about the effects of MenB (limbs amputated for one thing, never mind the deaths) I had no hesitation about administering it. We have a lot of immune system issues in our family and I know how awful meningitus can be so I didn't want to take any chances.

On the cost, I know people who paid less than that. I paid for convenience, as the pharmacy is next door to the GP practice so I didn't have to worry about carting it around (I can't remember but it might have to be in a fridge and has a short enough shelf life). So if its possible to shop around do, but those prices are very close to what I paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Hi,

I'm glad a new thread dedicated to this was opened up as I think info was being lost in the last two vaccine threads.

To answer your questions:
    My baby had a higher than normal temp the night the vaccine was given. It didn't go above 38. I was taking the temp every few hours to watch it. The baby showed no signs of side effects. I wouldn't have known about the high temp of I wasn't checking. This was at 3 months and 4 months. 3rd shot is next week.

The procedure you outlined in getting the vaccines is what I did. Get prescription, order, collect in cooler bag. Refrigerate for a night and bring to surgery in cooler bag. The refrigerate for a night was because I had an appointment the following day. You could collect before you have the appointment if you want to.

The cost for me is slightly less. I didn't have to pay for the prescription for the vaccine and I managed to source the vaccine cheaper. Tesco pharmacy and boots pharmacy change less than some. Tesco pharmacy ordered in all 3 for me and I only have to pay for one at a time.

I wasn't the first to ask about the vaccine in my surgery but I was the first to go through with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I got it done at 2, 4 and 6 months for my baby and he will get another booster after he's 1. What I did was at the normal vaccination appointments I got the GP to write the prescription, then made an appointment for a couple of weeks later. I dropped the prescription into the chemist and when it arrived in stock I just left it there in their fridge (which should be monitored) until I was on my way to the doctors. The vaccine itself cost €131 per dose. My GP administered it for free but she's probably an exception.

We didn't have any issues post-vaccination. The vaccination programme was in full-swing in Australia when I got my lad vaccinated so I consulted their guideline which recommends a dose of paracetamol in the 30 minutes before vaccination to reduce the incidence of fevers. I gave him calpol as recommended and he didn't get any temperature. The fact that they are getting them separately to the standard vaccines also reduces the fever risk. Here's the Australian guideline

Hope that's helpful! I'm surprised at your nurse's comments as the vaccine is getting a good bit of discussion in the healthcare community and while usage is limited to date I certainly haven't heard of any significant issues nationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is the vaccine purchase counted as part of your 144e pharmacy HSE drugs? We hit the max most months already so it would be great if it was free because we hit the max!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Do phone around the pharmacies as prices can vary a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I'm getting it for my daughter she is three so it's only 2 injections within a month.
    Would love to know it it's part of DPS

Is the vaccine purchase counted as part of your 144e pharmacy HSE drugs? We hit the max most months already so it would be great if it was free because we hit the max!

Unfortunately not. My pharmacist checked it for me. You can claim on the med 1 for the vaccine and doctor's fees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I've heard from two mothers recently that their GPs (two different ones) have advised that it's likely to be included in the general vacc schedule from June, and backdated for babies already born.

This is hearsay, so if anyone is considering getting it, best to clarify with your own doctor first of course!

I must ask about that but I am anxious to get it ASAP, we've delayed it for a couple of reasons so I don't want to wait any longer. I think I'll go ahead anyway and take my chances. I saw on the RTE news a while back that the cost of it was being considered in terms of it being a scheduled vaccine and I think the UK is adding it to its schedule. Who knows how long it could take.

I've heard from two mothers recently that their GPs (two different ones) have advised that it's likely to be included in the general vacc schedule from June, and backdated for babies already born.

I've heard from a friend that her gp said it wouldn't be back dated. Again hearsay so you wouldn't know. They don't generally back date the vaccines for any babies that are past the age they are scheduled for. I wonder what they did in the case of the men c vaccine? They may follow the same course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

bovril wrote: »
    I've heard from a friend that her gp said it wouldn't be back dated. Again hearsay so you wouldn't know. They don't generally back date the vaccines for any babies that are past the age they are scheduled for. I wonder what they did in the case of the men c vaccine? They may follow the same course.

One of the friends that I was talking to said that they did the exact same with MenC, that they backdated for babies already born. I don't know that for a fact though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bovril wrote: »

I was speaking with gp on it a couple of days ago. He has no set details on it. He's heard it will be out in uk and expects ireland may follow the lead. But thats it. Other wise privately its expensive and he was having difficulty in getting details for private treatment.

The Nurse in my surgery told me not to make any decisions on any additional vaccines on my baby (now 11 weeks) until June because there may be new ones going on the scheduke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'll believe it when I see it regarding adding MenB to the schedule. In the meantime, we just got it done privately. OP - the nurse etc don't see it often because it is SO expensive. I'd imagine the majority of people don't vaccinate for MenB because of the cost. For us, the prescription cost €150 per dose (2 primary doses required plus a booster) as well as the cost to administer it. Our paediatrician advises to get it. MenB is horrific.

Regarding side effects after - my baby is normally fine after any vax but vomited a couple of times that night (that's one of the side effects) and was a bit poorly but within ten minutes was fine again, in good form, continued to breastfeed lots as normal and slept well. We kept a close watch that day/night with checking temp regularly. Was totally grand the next day. Local reaction around the injection site was similar to the other scheduled vax - bit of redness etc for a while after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Was speaking to the nurse in my gp office this morning. She gives the vaccines there. She said there is no chance of them adding men b into the schedule in June and they're actually removing the dose of men c they give at the 6 month appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

The change is that one dose of men c is being moved as the prev poster said from 4,6,13m to 4,13m and 12yr. They are still considering adding in an oral rotavirus vaccine and will be considering the men B but unlikely to be in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

thanks for everyone replied. We're going ahead with it. Our GP was the same as the nurse, kept mentioning seizures as one of the side effects but he gave us the prescription because we wanted it anyway... His main point is that it's a new vaccine and it hasn't been tested on huge population numbers and some bad effects might not show up for 5-10years time :(
    <...>Here's the Australian guideline
    <...>
    linky doesn't work ;)

I spoke to my pharmacist about this today. The shelf life of the batch she has ordered is now one year, I think it was only a few weeks when our older child received the vaccine. So might be something worth considering in terms of shopping around. I'll still go with them for convenience though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

j@utis wrote: »
    thanks for everyone replied. We're going ahead with it. Our GP was the same as the nurse, kept mentioning seizures as one of the side effects but he gave us the prescription because we wanted it anyway... His main point is that it's a new vaccine and it hasn't been tested on huge population numbers and some bad effects might not show up for 5-10years time :(

linky doesn't work ;)

Sorry it was working when I posted it - try here - it had links to more detailed guidance:

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/atagi-advice-bexsero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

What's the latest on this?

Wondering about prices and whether it's going to be made available generally? IE for free.

Also, my kids range from 10 down to 3 - will some be eligible and others not?

Just wondering if some will have to be paid for but if it's best to wait for others???

• Advertisement

I wrote to my local TDs about this a short while ago. A few of them asked questions in the Dail about it. Here is the reply from one of them
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2015092200104?opendocument#WRVV04300

I had hoped that things were further along than this myself. It doesn't look to me like it's likely to be introduced in 2016. I might be wrong on this but from the reply it looks like it isn't a priority at the moment. If they do roll it out I have no idea if they will do a catch up programme or not. I believe they did for the MenC vaccine but not sure how this worked at all

As for prices, it's available privately at the moment and prices are mentioned in earlier posts.

Only you can decide if you want to have some of your children vaccinated now and wait for others based on researching the risks of the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

foodaholic wrote: »
    I'm getting it for my daughter she is three so it's only 2 injections within a month.
    Would love to know it it's part of DPS

Is the procedure different for older children? S is very nearly 3 so would he only get 2 injections rather than 3?

iguana wrote:
    Is the procedure different for older children? S is very nearly 3 so would he only get 2 injections rather than 3?

I believe so yes. Have a search of the HSE website for a doc called menbfaq.PDF and it will have the dosage.

I just saw this thread pop up. The number of doses depends on the age of the child. My older child needed three shots, the young one two.

Also FYI my pharmacist has had a little bit of trouble sourcing the second of the two shots for my younger child. I don't know if its a general problem but just thought I'd let people know. We're waiting on it for a month now.

My GP said there are no plans to put it on the schedule any time soon and recommends it for all children. He's given his own children it and another GP has done the same.

Any developments on this?

Can Meningitis strike at any age?

Is a 3 year old more at risk than a 10 year old?!

Are people just paying for younger kids to get these shots!?

- How about adults? Is incidence of meningitis in adults so low that this is not even mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Any developments on this?

Can Meningitis strike at any age?

Is a 3 year old more at risk than a 10 year old?!

Are people just paying for younger kids to get these shots!?

- How about adults? Is incidence of meningitis in adults so low that this is not even mentioned?

You will find data in all meningitis cases here. Eg in 2014 there was 23 cases of meningitis that covers all bacterial strains. If you scroll down that link you will see data broken down by gender and age group
    http://www.hpsc.ie/NotifiableDiseases/AnnualIDStatistics/File,2393,en.pdf

Bumping this to see if there's been any update since re pricing/availability etc?

Mango Joe wrote:
    Bumping this to see if there's been any update since re pricing/availability etc?

It's still only available privately. No idea of the current price of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It's only available privately - around €150 per dose for the vaccine itself plus the cost to administer it. Depending on age of your baby, you'll need 3 or 4 doses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Wow in the north we get it for free. Bring him up to Newry for the day ;-)

But seriously our guy had no side effects at all. Well worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Penzer

Hi, I'm hoping to get this for my 20mth old. Does anybody know the process.

Will gp normally source this for you or do I need to go and purchase from pharmacist and then get gp to administer ....if that makes sense. Thanks going to call them tmrw.

It depends on the GP so you're better off ringing and asking. Some will source it and some won't. I think it's 2 shots and a booster for a 20mth old but again they'll confirm for sure at the surgery.

You need a prescription if gp doesn't source it. Then pharmacy will order it for you.

Shop around for price.
    The most expensive pharmacy was charging €140 and the cheapest was €104. Just ordered it today - they'll have it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Penzer

Thanks, I will order it today and let you know how I get on re. price etc.

• Advertisement

Matt Dawson a UK Rugby player released photos of his child's Meningitis B battle a few days ago to raise awareness and boost vigilance among parents etc.

Thankfully they made a full recovery.

The below photo shows what your child might go through and in a lot of cases die of ultimately in a Country where your Politicians divide their time between fiddling unvouched expenses and hanging up thousands of posters of themselves on lamp posts but theres no money left over to vaccinate kids against this common killer.......

What utter Maggots.

_88328787_eaebbb17-cc98-47bc-a85d-0bcadaea1d8a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

foodaholic wrote: »
    Shop around for price.
    The most expensive pharmacy was charging €140 and the cheapest was €104. Just ordered it today - they'll have it tomorrow

Where did you manage to source it for e104??

BlueLass wrote: »
    Where did you manage to source it for e104??

Cosgraves pharmacy in Newbridge €104
    Tescos are doing it for €110

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ms_Ali_B

I just received a press release at work stating that this vaccine is being added to the schedule in Sept this year.

Not sure where this leaves children born earlier though.

National Meningitis Charity welcomes MenB Vaccine decision

Campaigning charity Meningitis Research Foundation (MRF) and its supporters across Ireland are today celebrating the news that the long awaited and hard campaigned for vaccine against this most feared and deadly disease will be offered to babies for free as part of the Primary Childhood Immunisation Schedule from September 2016, following an announcement by the Department of Health.

Ireland has the highest incidence of MenB in the European Union affecting, on average, 100 people every year. Anyone of any age can contract the disease but children under five and teenagers are most at risk. One in 10 people who contract MenB will die and one in three survivors are left with life changing disabilities including limb amputation, brain damage and deafness.

This vaccine has been available privately in Ireland since December 2013 but there are high costs involved with families getting their children vaccinated so its introduction into the Primary Childhood Immunisation Schedule at 2, 4 and 13 months will make it accessible to all babies.

It leaves them in the same place as now, get it done privately or don't get it done at all. No catch up program announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 fioc

Anyone know of any pharmacy that has the Men B /Bexsero vaccine in stock? Tried multiple pharmacies to no avail. Maker says it's in short supply (prob on account of kid above)and won't be available until Autumn but maybe some pharmacy has them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Very unlikely to find a pharmacy that has them. Vaccines tend to be expensive with short shelf life and take up precious space in the fridge so tend to be ordered on request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

My kid is 1. Feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

My kid is 1. Feck sake

Heard this discussed on radio today. there will be a catch up program for older babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

How long does this vaccine last in the fridge?
    We got the first one a few days ago, but son has a cold and we have to wait now.

probably wont be for another week that we bring it in to the GP.
    Also is it 1 month after the first that the second one has to be given for a 2 and 9 month old?
    Getting worried it will spoil now

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    How long does this vaccine last in the fridge?
    We got the first one a few days ago, but son has a cold and we have to wait now.

probably wont be for another week that we bring it in to the GP.
    Also is it 1 month after the first that the second one has to be given for a 2 and 9 month old?
    Getting worried it will spoil now

2 months after first.

yqtwqxqm wrote:
    How long does this vaccine last in the fridge? We got the first one a few days ago, but son has a cold and we have to wait now.

The best before date will be on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Thanks for the replies.
    Was getting worried the fridge wouldnt keep them for long unless it was in the pharmacy fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Only difference with pharmacy fridge is the temp is constantly monitored and an alarm will sound if the temp goes outside the required range

• Advertisement
Advertisement