Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meningitis B Vaccine - side effects, procedure, costs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Penzer

Hi, I'm hoping to get this for my 20mth old. Does anybody know the process.

Will gp normally source this for you or do I need to go and purchase from pharmacist and then get gp to administer ....if that makes sense. Thanks going to call them tmrw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

It depends on the GP so you're better off ringing and asking. Some will source it and some won't. I think it's 2 shots and a booster for a 20mth old but again they'll confirm for sure at the surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You need a prescription if gp doesn't source it. Then pharmacy will order it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Shop around for price.
    The most expensive pharmacy was charging €140 and the cheapest was €104. Just ordered it today - they'll have it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Penzer

Thanks, I will order it today and let you know how I get on re. price etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Matt Dawson a UK Rugby player released photos of his child's Meningitis B battle a few days ago to raise awareness and boost vigilance among parents etc.

Thankfully they made a full recovery.

The below photo shows what your child might go through and in a lot of cases die of ultimately in a Country where your Politicians divide their time between fiddling unvouched expenses and hanging up thousands of posters of themselves on lamp posts but theres no money left over to vaccinate kids against this common killer.......

What utter Maggots.

_88328787_eaebbb17-cc98-47bc-a85d-0bcadaea1d8a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

foodaholic wrote: »
    Shop around for price.
    The most expensive pharmacy was charging €140 and the cheapest was €104. Just ordered it today - they'll have it tomorrow

Where did you manage to source it for e104??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

BlueLass wrote: »
    Where did you manage to source it for e104??

Cosgraves pharmacy in Newbridge €104
    Tescos are doing it for €110

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ms_Ali_B

I just received a press release at work stating that this vaccine is being added to the schedule in Sept this year.

Not sure where this leaves children born earlier though.

National Meningitis Charity welcomes MenB Vaccine decision

Campaigning charity Meningitis Research Foundation (MRF) and its supporters across Ireland are today celebrating the news that the long awaited and hard campaigned for vaccine against this most feared and deadly disease will be offered to babies for free as part of the Primary Childhood Immunisation Schedule from September 2016, following an announcement by the Department of Health.

Ireland has the highest incidence of MenB in the European Union affecting, on average, 100 people every year. Anyone of any age can contract the disease but children under five and teenagers are most at risk. One in 10 people who contract MenB will die and one in three survivors are left with life changing disabilities including limb amputation, brain damage and deafness.

This vaccine has been available privately in Ireland since December 2013 but there are high costs involved with families getting their children vaccinated so its introduction into the Primary Childhood Immunisation Schedule at 2, 4 and 13 months will make it accessible to all babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It leaves them in the same place as now, get it done privately or don't get it done at all. No catch up program announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 fioc

Anyone know of any pharmacy that has the Men B /Bexsero vaccine in stock? Tried multiple pharmacies to no avail. Maker says it's in short supply (prob on account of kid above)and won't be available until Autumn but maybe some pharmacy has them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Very unlikely to find a pharmacy that has them. Vaccines tend to be expensive with short shelf life and take up precious space in the fridge so tend to be ordered on request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My kid is 1. Feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

My kid is 1. Feck sake

Heard this discussed on radio today. there will be a catch up program for older babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

How long does this vaccine last in the fridge?
    We got the first one a few days ago, but son has a cold and we have to wait now.

probably wont be for another week that we bring it in to the GP.
    Also is it 1 month after the first that the second one has to be given for a 2 and 9 month old?
    Getting worried it will spoil now

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    How long does this vaccine last in the fridge?
    We got the first one a few days ago, but son has a cold and we have to wait now.

probably wont be for another week that we bring it in to the GP.
    Also is it 1 month after the first that the second one has to be given for a 2 and 9 month old?
    Getting worried it will spoil now

2 months after first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

yqtwqxqm wrote:
    How long does this vaccine last in the fridge? We got the first one a few days ago, but son has a cold and we have to wait now.

The best before date will be on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Thanks for the replies.
    Was getting worried the fridge wouldnt keep them for long unless it was in the pharmacy fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Only difference with pharmacy fridge is the temp is constantly monitored and an alarm will sound if the temp goes outside the required range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I wish they would be clear on the plan for rolling out the vaccine, my little man is 6wks old so obviously won't be rolled out for his 2 month vaccines. Wondering now if I should vaccine him or wait.....

I wish they would be clear on the plan for rolling out the vaccine, my little man is 6wks old so obviously won't be rolled out for his 2 month vaccines. Wondering now if I should vaccine him or wait.....

The plan is that all babies born on or after the 1st September 2016 will be entitled to the vaccine. All babies born before 1st Sept will not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

According to happydippy above there will be a catch up program?

According to happydippy above there will be a catch up program?

According to Leo Varadkar there won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

January wrote: »
    According to Leo Varadkar there won't.

Do you have a link? Trying to find info online but no joy yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

On ray darcy show today a professor from temple street on was on talking about vaccination. He said "hold tight" it will be rolled out and there will be a catch up programme for older children ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Hi Guys,

Has anyone sourced the meningitis b vaccine recently? I was on to Boots today and they don't have it and can't get it from their supplier currently. They phoned their supplier and called me back to say they were told the manufacturer (GSK) are experiencing a major shortage due to demand and that it could be the summer before they have it in!

Anyone know where I might find it in stock?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm still waiting for my almost 11 month old to get her BCG, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on this government back dating new vaccines when they can't even keep the ones already on the schedule up to date:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Hi Guys,

Has anyone sourced the meningitis b vaccine recently? I was on to Boots today and they don't have it and can't get it from their supplier currently. They phoned their supplier and called me back to say they were told the manufacturer (GSK) are experiencing a major shortage due to demand and that it could be the summer before they have it in!

Anyone know where I might find it in stock?

Thanks

I was told the exact same thing today by my pharmacist. She reckoned it'd be July or August. She also said that the doctors could source them directly

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my almost 11 month old to get her BCG, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on this government back dating new vaccines when they can't even keep the ones already on the schedule up to date:rolleyes:

There's talk of them removing the bcg from the newborn schedule and only giving it to at risk children. Btw the shortage is not the hse fault but the supplier can't make it for some reason.

Advertisement