Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meningitis B Vaccine - side effects, procedure, costs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I know I've started this thread but I have to admit I haven't got my soon vaccinated for menB yet. I still have doubts about this vaccines effectiveness. I'm wondering if there's any report published in UK on this matter since they started vaccinating their babies two years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Just wondering how is the vaccine stored if you have to collect it at chemist and then bring to the doctor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Just wondering how is the vaccine stored if you have to collect it at chemist and then bring to the doctor?

I used a cooler bag with an ice block inside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

You can no longer order the vaccine from a chemist. GSK are supplying only directly to the GPs at the minute, so storage shouldn't be an issue as all the GPs have vaccine fridges.

Yes that seems like a much better idea. I'm pretty shocked that people were allowed collect, store and transport this vaccine themselves. Cold chain is extremely important for vaccine efficacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yes that seems like a much better idea. I'm pretty shocked that people were allowed collect, store and transport this vaccine themselves. Cold chain is extremely important for vaccine efficacy.

Most products can be stored out of the fridge for short periods of time without affecting efficacy. In practice people tend to collect the vaccine on the way to the doctors

That's not correct There is extremely strick rules for the handling and storage of cold chain vaccines.

That's not correct There is extremely strick rules for the handling and storage of cold chain vaccines.

You might want to let the manufacturers know as they often give me information on storage from stability studies

Maybe you would like to post those studies? instead of sarcasm and a comment which on the internet is irrelevant as you could be anyone working for anyone. There is plenty of information available from the cdc and who all stressing the importance of vaccine cold chain, vaccine storage, handling, transport.

Maybe you would like to post those studies? instead of sarcasm and a comment which on the internet is irrelevant as you could be anyone working for anyone. There is plenty of information available from the cdc and who all stressing the importance of vaccine cold chain, vaccine storage, handling, transport.

Of course the cold chain is important - it's why it's documented from manufacturer to wholesaler to pharmacy/GP. However I am yet to come across any refrigerated product which cannot be out of the fridge for a short length of time eg when transported from pharmacy to gp. I can't furnish a link to the studies as they are not published, they are internal studies carried out by the manufacturers, available through their medicines information departments to health care professionals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

New vaccine schedule from October 1st

Still no Chickenpox on the list :( But glad the MenB is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

There has been a shortage of this vaccine here in Spain, but I finally managed to it and my 4 year old had her first dose today. She hasn't had any reaction or fever from it, just a bit of pain in the injection site. Her next dose will be in 2 months.
    No sign of it being added to the schedule here, but the pediatricians are recommending it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Ocean Blue wrote: »

Any retrospective action possible here?

- My youngest will be 4 at end of Nov.

Mango Joe wrote: »

I wouldn't imagine so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Mango Joe wrote: »

No, a catch-up program has not been, and probably won't likely be, announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Vaccine is apparently out of stock again :( I have a prescription for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I ordered it last week
    No hassle

Your GP can order for you

I had a prescription for the booster for my toddler but the pharmacy can't get it in. The GP now can get it in where they couldn't/wouldn't before. I got the booster and first two shots for new baby through the GP since July this year.

• Advertisement

Really GP said they couldn't order it :( I was half thinking of trying to get it done in newry!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

My GP got it last week for us as well. I'd ask again as they should be ordering them anyway for the new babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Great to see it confirmed!
    I see it was on the schedule to discuss BCG Shortage; is there any real update regarding that?
    (not sure if you are the original source of the picture)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Am waiting on the gp nurse to phone me back regarding the vaccine. Just wondering is there an upper age limit on it, or an age where we wouldn't have the same need for it?

Just wondering about side effects....my son was grand getting it,,,no fever etc. Doctor said he may get a swollen red patch from it, which he has. Any idea when it goes? Thanks

I paid €175 all in! In south dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

jlm29 wrote: »
    Am waiting on the gp nurse to phone me back regarding the vaccine. Just wondering is there an upper age limit on it, or an age where we wouldn't have the same need for it?

I'm not actually sure about the upper age limit, however, I've two girls and just ordered the vaccines today from my GP. My 3.5 yr old will need two doses and my 5 month old with need three. Each injection costing €145. That's €725 in total for us :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My gp was quoting 140 per jab. We need 4 @560.
    Has anyone been quoted cheaper elsewhere?

Digs wrote: »
    I'm not actually sure about the upper age limit, however, I've two girls and just ordered the vaccines today from my GP. My 3.5 yr old will need two doses and my 5 month old with need three. Each injection costing €145. That's €725 in total for us :O

Thanks. It's steep! I know the risk of meningitis is significantly less in children over the age of 5, but I'd feel mean not vaccinating my 5 year old! I was asking the gp the other day, and he hadn't a clue about costs!

Millem wrote: »
    Just wondering about side effects....my son was grand getting it,,,no fever etc. Doctor said he may get a swollen red patch from it, which he has. Any idea when it goes? Thanks

I paid €175 all in! In south dublin.

Hi Millem, how much was the vaccine itself, excluding administration?

Thanks. It's steep! I know the risk of meningitis is significantly less in children over the age of 5, but I'd feel mean not vaccinating my 5 year old! I was asking the gp the other day, and he hadn't a clue about costs!

It is steep alright, I'm dying to have them done though. It terrifies me the thought of what could happen. I'd be the same as you, wanting them all vaccinated!

I can ask our practise nurse when I'm back in but from memory they charge me €30 to administer the free flu vaccine during pregnancy so I'm assuming in this case the vaccine itself costs approx €115?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

It is steep alright, I'm dying to have them done though. It terrifies me the thought of what could happen. I'd be the same as you, wanting them all vaccinated!

I can ask our practise nurse when I'm back in but from memory they charge me €30 to administer the free flu vaccine during pregnancy so I'm assuming in this case the vaccine itself costs approx €115?

You were charged 30 for a free flu vaccine????? That's terrible, my doc didn't charge anything for the administration of it!! That's mad!!

• Advertisement

BlueLass wrote: »
    You were charged 30 for a free flu vaccine????? That's terrible, my doc didn't charge anything for the administration of it!! That's mad!!

Yeah it's fairly standard practise. The vaccine itself is free to risk groups however it's at the GPS discretion as to whether they charge administration on it. Purely anecdotal but anyone I've spoken to about it has been charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

Yeah it's fairly standard practise. The vaccine itself is free to risk groups however it's at the GPS discretion as to whether they charge administration on it. Purely anecdotal but anyone I've spoken to about it has been charged.

Wonder if that's a regional thing because I don't know of anyone that was charged for it! Practice nurse would charge about 15 for doing bloods or other injections Like a B12.

BlueLass wrote: »
    Wonder if that's a regional thing because I don't know of anyone that was charged for it! Practice nurse would charge about 15 for doing bloods or other injections Like a B12.

Quite possibly? I'm in south Dublin. If one thing can be said about Irish healthcare, nothing is consistent or standard across the board :D although to be fair it's the only thing I put my hand in my pocket for throughout the pregnancy and even at that I claimed it back on VHI!

Hi Millem, how much was the vaccine itself, excluding administration?

Hi Jlm29, I don't know how much the vaccine was by itself. I just quoted an all in one price. We got it done in a different GP. It was the GP who administered it. The GP we went to does not accept those under 6 GP cards and costs €50 for a GP visit. They ordered the vaccine in for me as I couldn't get it myself anywhere :)

Thanks guys. I'll get them done after xmas. No one can tell me if there's a need to get the older lad done, but my gp said something like "it'll probably cost €40 or €50, so for that I'd get them both done", I knew he was on a different planet though!

Oh gosh jlm I would get it for your 5 year old. A colleague told me her sister got men b at 21....
    The gp mentioned chicken pox vaccine to me. I am going to research that after he is finished with men b. I am a but unsure of it though as he said you need to check it again as an adult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm in South Dublin too Millem and paid €160 for each meningitis jab and €30 for the flu vaccine and I think same for pertussis (Im pregnant but it wasn't free).

Mine are being done in 2 weeks.
    GP charging 140 each. Health wave in Dundrum is charging 126 per dose.

Mine are being done in 2 weeks.
    GP charging 140 each. Health wave in Dundrum is charging 126 per dose.

I rang health wave a few weeks ago and they said they had no stock of vaccine!
    Anyway it suits me to get it from a gp as I can claim back 50% on my my health insurance!
    Tatranska are you in south dublin if so can you PM gp please!

I know this has probably been said before, but I can't trawl back through the whole thread! Babies get three jabs- in the new schedule, is at 2 mo, 4 mo, and 12 mo- do the first two doses have to be two months apart, or is it one month apart?
    And older kids get the first jab whenever, and when do they get their booster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I thought that the meningitis jab for newborns has actually been pulled?

I know this has probably been said before, but I can't trawl back through the whole thread! Babies get three jabs- in the new schedule, is at 2 mo, 4 mo, and 12 mo- do the first two doses have to be two months apart, or is it one month apart?
    And older kids get the first jab whenever, and when do they get their booster?

for your older guy I think the jabs can be 1 month apart but for my guy I have to wait 2 months apart as he is 2.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/OtherVaccines/menbfaq.pdf
    This document has the doses for the different ages.

Merkin wrote: »
    I thought that the meningitis jab for newborns has actually been pulled?

Not to my knowledge. The Men C schedule has changed every so slightly and the Men B vaccine was added in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

The gp mentioned chicken pox vaccine to me. I am going to research that after he is finished with men b. I am a but unsure of it though as he said you need to check it again as an adult?

I think they need a booster when they are about 16. I got it for my little girl. Worth the money, I heard some horror stories about chicken pox & everyone I spoke to whose child had had it said they would have gotten the vaccine if they had known it was available.

I rang health wave a few weeks ago and they said they had no stock of vaccine!
    Anyway it suits me to get it from a gp as I can claim back 50% on my my health insurance!
    Tatranska are you in south dublin if so can you PM gp please!

I'm in cabra
    Must check my health insurance policy.
    Both mine had chicken pox this summer. 2 weeks and it was all over for the 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cmaree

Hi..my 15month old had his 1st men b vaccine 6weeks ago.....started vomitting perfusely an hour after it was given..was admitted over night for deydtration...was fine the next day...was recommended to get the 2nd vaccine done in hospital as there was no source to his vomitting found....anyone experience other side affects?....he's due the 2nd vaccine soon..am very nervous about it....well at least it'll be done in the hospital settin..was fine with all other routine vaccines!..thanks!

Cmaree wrote: »
    Hi..my 15month old had his 1st men b vaccine 6weeks ago.....started vomitting perfusely an hour after it was given..was admitted over night for deydtration...was fine the next day...was recommended to get the 2nd vaccine done in hospital as there was no source to his vomitting found....anyone experience other side affects?....he's due the 2nd vaccine soon..am very nervous about it....well at least it'll be done in the hospital settin..was fine with all other routine vaccines!..thanks!

What a difficult situation to be in. It's very hard to continue vaccinating when your child has reacted badly to one. Did the doctors give an indication of why your child had a reaction? Maybe it would be a good idea to go through a full family medical history with the pead before giving another dose, just to rule out any possible contraindications? Or maybe that was done before the first dose? You can always delay while you think about it, speak to doctors and do your own research on the best next step

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cmaree

What a difficult situation to be in. It's very hard to continue zvaccinating when your child has reacted badly to one. Did the doctors give an indication of why your child had a reaction? Maybe it would be a good idea to go through a full family medical history with the pead before giving another dose, just to rule out any possible contraindications? Or maybe that was done before the first dose? You can always delay while you think about it, speak to doctors and do your own research on the best next step

oh yes fully investigated by paediatrics ...paediatritican advised to folllow through. .get 2nd vaccine in hospital Setting. Dats at the end of month....cud have been a coincidences too...they not sure..advised to get it done in hospital....they were happy it wasn't a full reaction..just vomittin....just nervous in case it happens again....maybe nothin will happen!

• Advertisement

How long does this vaccine offer protection for?

Advertisement