Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meningitis B Vaccine - side effects, procedure, costs

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Has anyone gotten this for their kids lately? I got my two boys (age 1 and age 5) done recently. When they got the first dose I was told the older one needed two shots and the baby needed two, and then a booster after 12 mo. When I went back the second time, the practise nurse told me guidelines had changed and the baby doesn't need a booster now. Has anyone else been told this? She actually opened a file on her computer and showed me, but I'm still a bit sceptical because the first day they have me the information leaflet from the box of the vaccine and it clearly said he needed a booster in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Iamhere

jlm29 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten this for their kids lately? I got my two boys (age 1 and age 5) done recently. When they got the first dose I was told the older one needed two shots and the baby needed two, and then a booster after 12 mo. When I went back the second time, the practise nurse told me guidelines had changed and the baby doesn't need a booster now. Has anyone else been told this? She actually opened a file on her computer and showed me, but I'm still a bit sceptical because the first day they have me the information leaflet from the box of the vaccine and it clearly said he needed a booster in a year.

Our 5 year old and nearly 2 year old had their first dose in May and due second in July, our understanding is that the 5 year old will need a booster after 12 months.

Iamhere wrote: »
    Our 5 year old and nearly 2 year old had their first dose in May and due second in July, our understanding is that the 5 year old will need a booster after 12 months.

No, it would be your younger child who would need the booster, kids over two only need two doses, two months apart,

But I also found this. Which I think is what the practise nurse showed me the day I was in with her last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My son had 2 shots as a baby (2 and 4 months) and a booster at just over 13 months. The NHS is definitely still doing it as 3 shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

j@utis wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm about MenB vac again. I want to get my son vaccinated for it, he's 8.5 months. I'd like some feeback from those who got their children vaccinated for it.

so, I rang my gp yesterday to find out more about it. I spoke to the nurse - she's in charge of all vaccinations in the practice. She sounded very apprehensive about it and at the end of conversation she said something along these lines "ok, if you want I'll do it" :( I got an impression I was the first person to inquiry them about MenB vac.

She mentioned that she heard from other nurses about childrens' very bad reactions to these shots. ***How did your child react?

I'd need to do the following: go to the gp to get prescription for the vaccine, go to the chemist to get it ordered in, get app with the nurse when it arrives, collect it from chemists, go the to clinic and get it administered. repeat 3 times. ***What did you have to do?

Also the total cost runs up to 650euros. that's 170eur x3 for the vaccine itself, 30eur x3 for the nurse, 50eur gp prescription. *** How much did you pay?

TIA!

Hi does anybody know how long this vaccine lasts for, we got it for our twins about three years ago and they are 7 now. Thanks.

I was told it offers lifelong protection by the practise nurse who administered it.

Advertisement