Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PA System Recommendations For Live Gigs

Options
  • 16-04-2015 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Looking for PA recommendations for Live Gigs for bars. Currently a two piece (acoustic/vocals & electric). Have previously rented the gear.

What sort of wattage are we talking?
    What set up? tops/bins etc?
    What brands to look at?
    What brands to stay away from?

(Looking at dry desk & power amp rather than powered desk.) Ideally something that can be added to down the line if needed.

Bar size varies obviously. Have played for a few small functions also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dave1978

I gig with a 3 piece, 2 guitars 1 banjo and one of the lads singing. We do regular pub gigs and I bought a PA when we were starting out and didnt have a big budget. Your best friend is Thomann.de, I put together a perfectly decent rig for about 800 quid, which is cheap, but it works and works well.You can actually get cheaper combinations on thomann which probably work just as well. We have 2 Behringer 400W speakers, a powered amp, speaker stands and cables for the 800quid. If you do a bit of research, even on Thomann they have sections which are kind of tutorials on the type of gear you need, you'll be able to narrow down what it is you need any buy accordingly. To be honest, itd be great to have EV300's and a beautiful mackie desk and spend 2 or 3 grand on the whole thing but if youre 2 guitars and vocals, whats the point. At the moment we're playing a pretty big function room every sunday evening and the rig is only turned up halfway at most. Id advise going to the shops because I went round every shop in Dublin and they simply cant compete on price and quality with Thomann, especially if youre on a tight budget. The desk I got was the t.mix PM 800 and you can bundle it with some speakers. For Pub gigs and a couple of instruments, its ideal. Not the best, not the prettiest, but really does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dave1978

I gig with a 3 piece, 2 guitars 1 banjo and one of the lads singing. We do regular pub gigs and I bought a PA when we were starting out and didnt have a big budget. Your best friend is Thomann.de, I put together a perfectly decent rig for about 800 quid, which is cheap, but it works and works well.You can actually get cheaper combinations on thomann which probably work just as well. We have 2 Behringer 400W speakers, a powered amp, speaker stands and cables for the 800quid. If you do a bit of research, even on Thomann they have sections which are kind of tutorials on the type of gear you need, you'll be able to narrow down what it is you need any buy accordingly. To be honest, itd be great to have EV300's and a beautiful mackie desk and spend 2 or 3 grand on the whole thing but if youre 2 guitars and vocals, whats the point. At the moment we're playing a pretty big function room every sunday evening and the rig is only turned up halfway at most. Id advise against going to the shops because I went round every shop in Dublin and they simply cant compete on price and quality with Thomann, especially if youre on a tight budget. The desk I got was the t.mix PM 800 and you can bundle it with some speakers. For Pub gigs and a couple of instruments, its ideal. Not the best, not the prettiest, but really does the job.

Advertisement