Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blown graphics card?

Options
  • 16-04-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

My partner's PC last night crashed and had problems restarting with random character groups all over the start up screen and windows took some attempts to repair before it started again. I had her install Speccy to get some temp readouts and it was sitting on 90+ degs, dropping to about 70 after a while. This morning after about 30 minutes idle it went up to about 52 degs.

Startup still has the random character groups and the desktop has four blocks of blue vertical stripes across the screen.

My assumption so far is graphics card wonky causing the overheating (she was playing Rift at the time, and has been complaining of some mild graphics issues (very infrequent intermittent screen shakes etc.) for some time.

The system is 7 years old but has been upgraded with memory & ssd card and is running flawlessly apart from the recent issues.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz" value="78 °C,
    RAM 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 397MHz (5-5-5-18)
    Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7360 (CPU 1)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

The Mobo has a PCI express x 16 slot.

Currently I am leaning to just getting a cheapo card (local availability in the Cork store) - this would work I recon as it supports PCIe. Speed is of the essence as its a work PC and ordering something online takes too long.

Long term outlook will be a new PC but this system should have a bit of life in it yet.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

morgana wrote: »
    My partner's PC last night crashed and had problems restarting with random character groups all over the start up screen and windows took some attempts to repair before it started again. I had her install Speccy to get some temp readouts and it was sitting on 90+ degs, dropping to about 70 after a while. This morning after about 30 minutes idle it went up to about 52 degs.

Startup still has the random character groups and the desktop has four blocks of blue vertical stripes across the screen.

My assumption so far is graphics card wonky causing the overheating (she was playing Rift at the time, and has been complaining of some mild graphics issues (very infrequent intermittent screen shakes etc.) for some time.

The system is 7 years old but has been upgraded with memory & ssd card and is running flawlessly apart from the recent issues.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz" value="78 °C,
    RAM 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 397MHz (5-5-5-18)
    Motherboard MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD MS-7360 (CPU 1)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

The Mobo has a PCI express x 16 slot.

Currently I am leaning to just getting a cheapo card (local availability in the Cork store) - this would work I recon as it supports PCIe. Speed is of the essence as its a work PC and ordering something online takes too long.

Long term outlook will be a new PC but this system should have a bit of life in it yet.

Any thoughts?

Yup thats how my graphics card went, the exact same model as yours. Just pick up a cheap replacement and you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Bought the Geforce 610 and Bob's your uncle! Lovely card, nippy and low format / small footprint so should also help the airflow in the machine!
    Hopefully this will extend the life of the machine for another good while.

Advertisement