Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer replacement for GP 4 Season

• 16-04-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

I'm building some new wheels and want to get some nice tyres for them. I normally use GP4 Seasons on my road bike as they're grippy and very puncture resistant but I'm thinking of trying something a little nippier for the nicer wheels.

Has to be 28mm - I like comfort.
    Has to be grippy - I'd consider the GP4 Seasons to be perfect in terms of grip, so anything that good or better.
    Has to be fairly puncture resistant but willing to trade off a bit here. It's for long leisure spins so shouldn't involve too much glass but I don't want to be fixing punctures regularly. I get close to none currently, which is nice.
    Being sexy looking would be a plus. The new wheels are H Son+ Archetypes and I I wouldn't mind a bit of color to go with the anodized grey, but this is the lowest priority!

I'm thinking about getting GP 4000 IIs, they come in 28s.

Any other suggestions?

[edit]Also considering Vittoria Rubino Pro but I don't know if this is more or less racy than the GP 4000 IIs[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

I run the same tyres for winter, swap to gp 4000 11's for summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Am running Durano Plus ( also on Archetypes ) and they look really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Thanks OleRodrigo. I think the Durano Plus is a heavier tyre more like the GP 4 Seasons. I was actually considering those as an alternative winter tyre recently.

I'm looking to try out some thing that sacrifices some of the ruggedness of the Durano Plus or 4 Season for lower rolling resistance, nicer feel.

To be honest, I'm really happy with the GP 4 Seasons but I figure that I might as well try something lighter out when I'm buying tyres for these wheels to see if I can notice any difference :) It's looking like GP 4000 IIs at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isn't the whole point of the 4 seasons that you use them for all four seasons?

You can use any tyre for all four seasons ;)

I agree with you that 4 Seasons are the closest tyre I know of to an answer for every occassion but I'm going to buy a new pair of tyres for the new wheels and think GP 4000s might be a nice good weather alternative.

• Advertisement

here's an interesting article from Tour magazine from last year. Comparing 28mm road tyres.
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/road_tyres/GP4000sII/WideRaceTyreTest_TOUR_Magazine_2014.pdf

Puts the 28mm GP4000s IIs as the lowest rolling resistance.

Tried the new GP 4000 S2s today on a 90k cycle and was surprised at the difference compared to the GP4 Seasons.

Quite a bit softer over bumps, definitely liked them. I guess it's the less rigid sidewalls as my 4Seasons are also 28Mm.

Run both tyre sets at 70Psi front, 80 back. Current plan would be to go back to the 4Seasons for the winter as they never puncture. Will see how the 4000s do in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

quozl wrote: »
    Run both tyre sets at 70Psi front, 80 back. Current plan would be to go back to the 4Seasons for the winter as they never puncture. Will see how the 4000s do in that regard.

I'm assuming your quite light if your able to get away with such low pressures? I'm 75kg and keep my tyres at 100/90 R/F

I run mine at 120

Well, you both run them too high, assuming yours are also 28mm :-P

I'm 80 kg currently. Don't ever pinch flat. You can Google charts of load, pressure and tyre width. On a phone or I'd provide a link.

If i ran them at 120 psi they'd be really uncomfortable, less deflection than 23mm tyres would have at 120psi and I'd be losing the point of 28mm tyres IMO.

• Advertisement

Mine are 23's

Advertisement