Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy glass bottle for kid

Options
  • 16-04-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

As you know, plastic bottle is not healthy to be used frequently.
    My child do need a bottle to carry water to school every day.
    So i am wondering in Dublin, where i can buy a bottle made by glass, so he can use daily?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Plastic bottles are bad to use every day? Why?

Also, the school might not be happy with a student bringing a glass container to school. Ya know...health and safety paranoia.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You can buy drinks bottles in any of the school supplies shops. I'm not sure if a glass bottle would be the cleverest idea in a school bag that could get thrown around, walked on etc. A flask might be a better idea?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

hopehope wrote: »
    As you know, plastic bottle is not healthy to be used frequently.
    My child do need a bottle to carry water to school every day.
    So i am wondering in Dublin, where i can buy a bottle made by glass, so he can use daily?

Thanks a lot!

Will glass bottles be permitted to use in school? You may need to check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've heard of the drinks companies saying that their PET bottles aren't intended to be refilled but tbh, always assumed this was just to discourage people from refilling water bottles instead of buying more... I'd assume any plastic drinking bottles sold as refillable are perfectly safe (and tbh, expect that the PET ones are too).

There's little chance the school will be happy with any child bringing glass to school, it *is* unsafe imo.

If you're dead set against the plastic bottles, you could get one of the lightweight metal ones they have in camping/hiking shops? Our eldest uses one of them for school most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Check with the school before you send your child in with a glass bottle. I know our school did not allow them. If they do allow them I have bottles which may be suitable in TK Maxx however I would strongly urge you to find and alternative given the rough and tumble school bags go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 hopehope

hi I really appreciate everyone's help! i know i am doing a bit too much, and I feel tired too!

Well, after i have a child, I start becoming quite picky....always looking for things best for children.

And I thought glass might be best material for container...

That's why I start to looking for handy glass bottle for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

hopehope wrote: »
    hi I really appreciate everyone's help! i know i am doing a bit too much, and I feel tired too!

Well, after i have a child, I start becoming quite picky....always looking for things best for children.

And I thought glass might be best material for container...

That's why I start to looking for handy glass bottle for him.

I went to primary school back in the 80's and glass bottles(Soda Stream) were banned after a few mishaps.
    The most common one was split lips and a few teeth knocked loose from kids bumping into each other while drinking.

Our kids have sports bottles now, I got them the BPA free ones as I think these safer than glass

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

These stainless steel ones:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002E6F06W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or any other (not coated) stainless steel bottle should be safe to drink from but there shouldn't be any safety worries about broken glass etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

BPA-free plastic would be a hell of a lot safer than a glass bottle for a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

When I was in school, Emil bottles were all the rage. They're glass bottles with a styrofoam and fabric cover that prevents them from breaking. If you do a search for "Emil bottle", you should find them.

Or, as some others said, a good stainless steel bottle (e.g. Kleen Kanteen).

(BTW: After seeing the film "Plastic Planet", I can understand your wish to find an alternative to plastic bottles for your child.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Sending a child to school with a glass bottle? Seriously, that is insane. And you would get a serious talking to from the school principal and class teacher for allowing something so stupid. It's completely against health and safety. Get a BPA-free bottle and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

To a lot of non-Irish people like me, health and safety rules in Irish schools are insane :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

franzilein wrote: »
    To a lot of non-Irish people like me, health and safety rules in Irish schools are insane :-)

I teach in a primary school and off the top of my head I can't think of any that I would consider 'insane'. Letting children come to school with glass bottles is not a good idea. Do you know how many times a day bags/bottles/drinks get knocked over? In Junior classes kids drop/break things very frequently. It's bad enough dealing with the inevitable yogurt/drink covered bags and children without having to worry about the hazard of broken glass. People have mentioned many safe alternatives to glass bottles in this thread so why wouldn't people who want an alternative to plastic seek out one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Stainless steel drinking bottle would probably be the best option for school. Glass presents obvious hazards as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got stainless steel sports bottles in tesco last August. Absolutely brilliant, the knocks that bottles get at school and the plastic ones are pretty useless for my 12 year old who plays football, I went through 3 bottles last year, this year the steel one is a bit dented but otherwise perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My sister(iin her thithies30's) got one of these. There called flaska. It's a glass bottle in a protective sleve the bottle also structures the water. http://www.flaska.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

the bottle also structures the water.

Sorry, whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

http://www.flaska.eu/water-structuring-with-flaska

Right at the bottom:
    * This page content is based on findings and theories that are not recognised or addressed by official institutions.

Basically, it's for the anti-vaxxers, plastic bottles cause cancer brigade who have more money than sense. I ran through their website out of curiosity and it's *ONLY* €35,94 for one of these bottles with your kids name printed on it or €32.04 without the personalisation... :eek:

Advertisement