Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Playoffs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

nerd69 wrote: »
    i maintain there bench will catch them eventually the spurs team they faced is not what they where timmy was superhuman but parker and ginobli are not the same and in this round the rockets are also top heavy but there first team is just not as good as the clips. golden state in the next round (if they beat the grizzlies) would be a completely different animal altogether

You say that, but Golden State aren't the Dubs we've come to know. It's easy to go with the 'Memphis are a good matchup for them' argument, but that wasn't the case when GSW OWNED them in the regular season. Golden State have been my playoff team for 3-4 years now (joys of being a Magic fan is you get to pick a playoff team :p) but the facts are the facts...maybe they peaked too early. Look at what Miami and San Antonio mastered in the past few years: they peaked at the right time. Steve Kerr is a great coach but maybe his regular season success could cost him now. And that'd be a horrible shame, they potentially have an all-timer team, if they got their ducks in a row at the right time you could easily see them going fo' fo' fo', but look at how lifeless they looked from the 2nd quarter against the Griz the other night. They could be done. I'd love a GSW/Clippers Conference Finals series, but right now you'd have a quality team on the way up versus a quality team on the way down. That matters a lot in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

leggo wrote: »
    You say that, but Golden State aren't the Dubs we've come to know. It's easy to go with the 'Memphis are a good matchup for them' argument, but that wasn't the case when GSW OWNED them in the regular season. Golden State have been my playoff team for 3-4 years now (joys of being a Magic fan is you get to pick a playoff team :p) but the facts are the facts...maybe they peaked too early. Look at what Miami and San Antonio mastered in the past few years: they peaked at the right time. Steve Kerr is a great coach but maybe his regular season success could cost him now. And that'd be a horrible shame, they potentially have an all-timer team, if they got their ducks in a row at the right time you could easily see them going fo' fo' fo', but look at how lifeless they looked from the 2nd quarter against the Griz the other night. They could be done. I'd love a GSW/Clippers Conference Finals series, but right now you'd have a quality team on the way up versus a quality team on the way down. That matters a lot in the playoffs.

thats one way of looking at it but at the same time you have to realise that come playoff time defences get tighter and you have to adjust more how many all time great teams have walked through the regular season and then had multiple close series in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hawks simply have to win tonight with John Wall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Warriors v grizzlies off to good start, going to be an intense game, warriors lose and its season over one would think

does anyone think david blatt is cavs head coach next year

• Advertisement

Pretty much depends on what Lebron wants I guess, if they win the championship it will obviously be hard to justify letting him go.

Big sigh of relief after Warriors game, they stepped it up a notch and put it away early.
    Big difference was not Just settling for jumpers or the 3 and hoping they would go down, they penetrated the lane, drove to the basket and passed the ball to the open shooters after creating the space or drawing the defenders in, simple enough stuff but they weren't doing it.
    Plus they were very aggressive on defense, forcing turnovers, they can't guard Gasol but did a good job on fronting him and denying him the ball.
    Draymond Green set the tone from the start and then Curry showed us why he was voted MVP
    Advantage Warriors, I am sure Memphis will make their adjustments, too experienced not to

Pretty much depends on what Lebron wants I guess, if they win the championship it will obviously be hard to justify letting him go.

I'm not sure the end of that last game was a disaster for him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think he is absolutely head coach next year. Cavs will be a better team next year when he has a chance to work with them over summer. Kyrie gets a lot of flak for the occasional poor performance but the guy is still very young and Blatt could turn him into a perfect compliment to Love and LJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

The 67 regular season wins Warrior team showed up and not that folding under the pressure team we've seen in the previous two games. I always expected them to drop a game or two this series, Memphis literally are the hardest matchup throughout the league for the Warriors in the past 3 or 4 years (well SAS as well). I expect them to win the next two and meet the Clippers who'll surely win their series tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

buyer95 wrote: »
    Hawks simply have to win tonight with John Wall out.

john.jpg?w=694

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

ImB7trf.jpg

Suddenly feeling better about tonight's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I don't have a strong opinion on Blatt as a coach. I know he's new to the NBA this season, but he's coached a lot of years overseas.

I will just say this: I've been following the NBA for a little while now and I don't remember a head coach ever trying to call a timeout when the team didn't have any. Keep in mind they recently (in the past few seasons) changed the rule where coaches can actually call a timeout, for years and years only players on the court could call a timeout. So whether a coach has ever told his players to call a timeout when there wasn't one., I'm not sure.

I've seen players call timeouts when they didn't have any.

Didn't Avery Johnson mess something up back in the finals against the Heat, 2006 regarding a timeout. Although I believe he asked one of his players to call a timeout and they did too soon. maybe someone remembers it.

Monty gets the bullet after a mixed 5 seasons at the helm in New Orleans. He was by no means the worst coach in the league during that period. However the Pelicans have to be better next season, and the front office may believe he took them as far as he could. Monty comes across as a nice guy, never pleasant when someone loses their job, but I am excited for Davis, a new coach brings new ideas. Pelicans will be one to watch next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Can see one from Thibs, Brooks or Malone ending up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

Does anyone think David Blatt is Cavs head coach THIS year. :pac:

This LeBron James guy is pretty good at basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Weakest ejection ever.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Weakest ejection ever.

I'm in two minds about it. At first it looked bad mostly on Dellavadova. But after rewinding back a few times I think Gibson has already managed to get his leg free when he decided to kick forward on Dellavadova. Dellavadova should have gotten a tech at least.

Double tech would have been the fair thing to do. Gibson was on 5 fouls though so he was gone from the game regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Weakest ejection ever.
    I'm in two minds about it. At first it looked bad mostly on Dellavadova. But after rewinding back a few times I think Gibson has already managed to get his leg free when he decided to kick forward on Dellavadova. Dellavadova should have gotten a tech at least.

Double tech would have been the fair thing to do. Gibson was on 5 fouls though so he was gone from the game regardless.

In this day and age, if you kick someone like that you're gonna be ejected.
    Dellavadova should have gotten a tech for sure, but Gibson got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Gibson was having a poor game anyway. It was probably just frustration but tough sh1t. It was the right call. Stupid thing to do

One thing ive noticed in this series, and im no expert, is that while the Cavs rely on James and Irving to score heavily, Mosgov is massively important when it comes to defence.

He is so imposing and while he doesnt get a huge amount of rebounds his sheer presence and physicality prevented rose and butler from attacking the basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Relatively new as I say to basketball but I've really been enjoying the Bulls and Cavaliers series. Very enthralling. I hope Chicago win to take it into game 7.

Also, gonna be in Vegas for a few of the summer league games. Few of the lads and myself heading over for the Conor McGregor fight. Will probably try pick up a few tickets for a game if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How the Bulls Offense is Falling Apart (Again)

Hard to disagree with any of the points raised on the above piece.

Bulls look to have blown a huge chance. Couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to beat a LeBron-led team given the circumstances and probably won't ever get a better one again.

I have to say though, fair play to the Cleveland front office. The roster seemed to have quite a few holes initially but they've made a couple of moves that have really paid off. Mozgov especially.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Relatively new as I say to basketball but I've really been enjoying the Bulls and Cavaliers series. Very enthralling. I hope Chicago win to take it into game 7.

Also, gonna be in Vegas for a few of the summer league games. Few of the lads and myself heading over for the Conor McGregor fight. Will probably try pick up a few tickets for a game if we can.

It's summer league, they'll be begging ye to go to the game, tickets wouldn't be more than 5 dollars! Sounds like some lads trip, McGregor Aldo is going to be unreal.

Noah's fall from grace really is something else watching him the last few weeks.

What a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Soby wrote: »
    What a game.

I went from thinking Pierce had lost the game for Washington to then thinking he won it for them again! Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

What a game.
    killwill wrote: »
    I went from thinking Pierce had lost the game for Washington to then thinking he won it for them again! Great game.

great and pretty funny ending, nene should be owning that rebound, pretty much no excuse for letting horford basically snatch it out of his hands.

Warriors, Hit the switch !!!
    Pretty good display from Warriors, excellent defense and they shot the ball well, some sloppy turnovers which they need to take care of but they are looking good.
    Surprised Memphis didn't keep on pounding it inside, Gasol was getting pretty much whatever he wanted as was Randolph but it stopped after the 1st.

Nice to see Lee getting more mins, e could be a vital weapon for this team, he is intelligent and very active, he has lost his shot this season but still makes great cuts for easy baskets. he was an all star for a reason.

Memphis need Allen back, can see this going to 7

chips1234 wrote: »
    great and pretty funny ending, nene should be owning that rebound, pretty much no excuse for letting horford basically snatch it out of his hands.

Witmann had been near flawless tactics wise during the Playoffs over the last two years despite during the regular season looking like he couldn't coach a pick-up team, but between Nene and himself, that's on them. It was his 'Pop Game 6 vs Miami again with taking out an in-form Duncan moment' with Gortat being left on the bench for that final possession. In saying that, no excusing Nene. I hope the Wizards take it to 7, they don't deserve to go out in such fashion with Wall's injury and missing 3 games as a result being the talking point. Up 9 with 6 minutes left will hurt, and the Wizards were pretty faultless for most of the night. Wall was spectacular. Horford didn't deserve to lose though, put everything he had into the game last night.

Apparently Truth yelled out at the Hawks bench, "series" after his shot :o
    Pretty crazy night for sport in Washington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Witmann had been near flawless tactics wise during the Playoffs over the last two years despite during the regular season looking like he couldn't coach a pick-up team, but between Nene and himself, that's on them. It was his 'Pop Game 6 vs Miami again with taking out an in-form Duncan moment' with Gortat being left on the bench for that final possession. In saying that, no excusing Nene. I hope the Wizards take it to 7, they don't deserve to go out in such fashion with Wall's injury and missing 3 games as a result being the talking point. Up 9 with 6 minutes left will hurt, and the Wizards were pretty faultless for most of the night. Wall was spectacular. Horford didn't deserve to lose though, put everything he had into the game last night.

Apparently Truth yelled out at the Hawks bench, "series" after his shot :o
    Pretty crazy night for sport in Washington.

hahaha if he did, especially after almost losing the game for the wiz right before that, if he did it makes that ending even better, just hilarious stuff all round.

Advertisement