Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Playoffs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

I much preferred the Cleveland Mascot's take on the act in the third quarter

He was doing his thing at half time on Saturday in Chicago and on Sunday in Cleveland. Same bloody routine.

Getting to watch the halftime 'entertainment' on League Pass is one of the unsung benefits of that service. Anyone catch this act out of OKC during the regular season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I liked this dunk too...

Hope Mirotic is ok, he was in the wars.

"The Bulls said Mirotic has a left quad strain and will be re-evaluated Tuesday morning. Mirotic also has a swollen left knee, and the fear in the locker room immediately after the 91-82 win over the Milwaukee Bucks was that he might have a concussion as well."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Very good game in Oakland tonight, final score kind of flatters the Warriors a bit because the Pelicans pushed them all the way and in my opinion were probably the better team for the most part.
    Warriors had too much depth and were able to hit the big shots when it mattered.
    Anthony Davis is outstanding, he just looks so good, he can do it all, Warriors just couldn't handle him at all, Pelicans should of put more through him, he just demands so much attention and he is quick, he can post up virtually anywhere, do a quick move and he has his man beaten for an easy basket or he gets fouled, he is able to hit free throws too.

Pelicans did well to not let the Warriors build a lead cos the Warriors are a team that hits you for a quick 15 points in 3 mins and before you know it, you are chasing the game.

I think the West could be a coin toss at this stage
    I know it's a case of speculation and potential bull****tery, but, will Golden State come out of the West? Really?

Sure, no doubt about it, they are really really good, defensively and attack. No shame in Anthony Davis killing them and scaring them, he is a stud (Steven A Smith Mode) so long as they do a Celtics or Detroit ie stop Jordan from doing enough to win, everything is gravy

But, I believe that had Durant been fit for the last three games, and OKC got the 8th seed, OKC would have been a horrible gift for Warriors after being champions of the regular season. Sure, Warriors bet them this season, but one of their losses was against OKC. Remember they came from behind against OKC when Durant had his second injury. He left the floor with 30 plus points. Warriors may have lost that game too but for Durant's Injury

Seeing Spurs rejuvenate recently, until the loss against Clippers (in typical defensive Doc Rivers second coming of Celtics team) I was willing to punt that they make the finals.

It's definitely more open in the West. Maybe not so much in the East, Cavs v Hawks (or Bulls?)

Just get round 1 out of the way sharpish ; bar Spurs v Clippers, that maybe a great contest as both would be contenders, impaired to Dallas v Rockets where only the latter are contenders

Which big player shall fall to injury?

SlimJ wrote: »
    Getting to watch the halftime 'entertainment' on League Pass is one of the unsung benefits of that service. Anyone catch this act out of OKC during the regular season?

Sure hope it was better than some old dude in a onsie piling up chairs in the air as seen In Chicago and Cleveland the other nights (though the mascot version wad better)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Mike Budenholzer named coach of the year. Steve Kerr a very close second apparently.

• Advertisement

Sure hope it was better than some old dude in a onsie piling up chairs in the air as seen In Chicago and Cleveland the other nights (though the mascot version wad better)

There was some horrific magic act in one of the Saturday games (New Orleans maybe?) and I think it's hilarious that the same old-guy-acrobat gets the gigs in different arenas. I wonder if we'll see him move across the entire league during the playoffs?

padraig_f wrote: »
    Hope Mirotic is ok, he was in the wars.

"The Bulls said Mirotic has a left quad strain and will be re-evaluated Tuesday morning. Mirotic also has a swollen left knee, and the fear in the locker room immediately after the 91-82 win over the Milwaukee Bucks was that he might have a concussion as well."

Does anybody downplay potential injuries like the Bulls? They're like the tough old man grumpily insisting he's 'fine' as he limps back to his truck.

Mike Budenholzer named coach of the year. Steve Kerr a very close second apparently.

Full results (LOL - who voted for Jeff Hornacek?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Final numbers:

1st) Budenholzer, Mike -- Atlanta 67 -- 1st votes; 58 2nd votes; 4 3rd votes = 513 total votes
    2nd) Kerr, Steve -- Golden State -- 56 1st votes; 61 2nd votes; 8 3rd votes = 471 total votes
    3rd) Kidd, Jason -- Milwaukee -- 1 1st vote; 5 2nd votes; 37 3rd votes = 57 total votes

Full results can be found here

Does anybody downplay potential injuries like the Bulls? They're like the tough old man grumpily insisting he's 'fine' as he limps back to his truck.

It has been a problem, but after a couple of years reaching the post-season banged up, things have changed this season for the better, and I think they're ok now.

Of course this has caused some friction with Thibs, and may be the thing that forces him out, we'll see in the summer. But I think the front-office has been vindicated, the team reached the post-season this season about as healthy as they could be.

Mirotic hasn't been injury-prone, but the Bucks upped the physical stakes last night, and he came off worst. Nothing real dirty, but it was very chippy, with 7 technicals given out (4 Bucks, 3 Bulls) and Pachulia getting ejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Hehe, I was just reading a Grantland report on last night's games:
    Toward the end of the podium interview after Game 2 of the Bucks-Bulls series, a reporter asked Butler and Joakim Noah if they had any updates on Nikola Mirotic’s condition, after Mirotic suffered an apparent injury in the second half.

“He’s fine,” Butler said.

It might’ve been the quickest answer he’d given in the entire presser. It was reflexive, because of course it was. Butler is a Thibodeau soldier, and claiming fineness is the most basic expression in the Bulls language. Talking about the injury wasn’t important to Butler. What was important to Butler was that Mirotic retaliated against Zaza Pachulia, who had elbowed Mirotic in the head on one possession, and who then got into a skirmish with him on the floor not long after. Never mind that the injury occurred in an earlier possession that didn’t involve Pachulia, or that Pachulia has bone density like diamonds and one of the largest skulls in the game.

Downplay the hurt, amplify the fight. Butler answered the question as tweets began trickling in from beat reporters that the Mirotic injury might be more serious than what was let on. None of this was scripted, but after four years of Tom Thibodeau’s tutelage, that culture becomes second nature. Bulls PR informed reporters that they’re looking at a left quad strain for Mirotic, which sounds much less severe than the initial freakout expressed on Twitter. Maybe Butler was right. Maybe he is fine. But I’m not native to the Bulls language. What if “fine” doesn’t mean what we think it means?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

kiEsA6i.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Fancy Toronto to win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mathew Hissing Wall

man i can't give brad stephens enough credit you can just see straight away how well this celtics team is coached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I know it's a case of speculation and potential bull****tery, but, will Golden State come out of the West? Really?

Sure, no doubt about it, they are really really good, defensively and attack. No shame in Anthony Davis killing them and scaring them, he is a stud (Steven A Smith Mode) so long as they do a Celtics or Detroit ie stop Jordan from doing enough to win, everything is gravy

But, I believe that had Durant been fit for the last three games, and OKC got the 8th seed, OKC would have been a horrible gift for Warriors after being champions of the regular season. Sure, Warriors bet them this season, but one of their losses was against OKC. Remember they came from behind against OKC when Durant had his second injury. He left the floor with 30 plus points. Warriors may have lost that game too but for Durant's Injury

Seeing Spurs rejuvenate recently, until the loss against Clippers (in typical defensive Doc Rivers second coming of Celtics team) I was willing to punt that they make the finals.

It's definitely more open in the West. Maybe not so much in the East, Cavs v Hawks (or Bulls?)

Just get round 1 out of the way sharpish ; bar Spurs v Clippers, that maybe a great contest as both would be contenders, impaired to Dallas v Rockets where only the latter are contenders

Which big player shall fall to injury?

I think the Warriors can genuinely get out of the West, Curry is a genuine superstar and he has a very good supporting cast, home court advantage is major. It gets frustrating listening to some Warriors fans here in the bay area or when I go to games, they expect sooo much and when things don't go their way they cant believe it.
    The West is stacked with talent and when any of the top teams click they are hard to beat, there is little between these teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

lob city in Houston, dunks galore.

I think the Warriors can genuinely get out of the West, Curry is a genuine superstar and he has a very good supporting cast, home court advantage is major. It gets frustrating listening to some Warriors fans here in the bay area or when I go to games, they expect sooo much and when things don't go their way they cant believe it.
    The West is stacked with talent and when any of the top teams click they are hard to beat, there is little between these teams.

You live by the 3s you die by the 3s. Still not completely convinced about them, for some reason (Well, the West is so hard)

padraig_f wrote: »
    the Bucks upped the physical stakes last night, and he came off worst. Nothing real dirty, but it was very chippy, with 7 technicals given out (4 Bucks, 3 Bulls) and Pachulia getting ejected.

Just watched this game last night. Well, at least we found a first quarter that was uglier than Wiz - Raptors; I think both teams shot 24% in the first quarter.

Re: Those technicals - I think we're seeing some Jason Kidd craftiness here. Double technicals on Noah and Butler, while the corresponding T's on the Bucks were to bench players (Mayo and Henson). I'm sure it wasn't as explicit as "go start a fight lads", but I'd bet Kidd is encouraging his players to get chippy. I mean, say that incident in the second quarter had escalated - the Bulls lose Noah and Butler, the Bucks lose Mayo and Henson. Which team came off worse there?

I know the Bulls are up two-nil, but after that second game - doesn't it feel like the Bucks might stretch this series to 6 or 7 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

You live by the 3s you die by the 3s. Still not completely convinced about them, for some reason (Well, the West is so hard)

Early in the season I would totally have agreed with you.
    But they have been so consistent over 80+ games now that they simply have to be favourites to get out of the West.
    When GSW play at home you just expect them to win and for Curry and Thompson to combine for 55+ points. The rest is up to their bigs to crash the boards.

Houston though, providing they stay healthy, really look like a team built for the playoffs. There guards can shoot and attack the basket and with Howard they have an unstoppable force if his head is in the game.

• Advertisement

killwill wrote: »
    Early in the season I would totally have agreed with you.
    But they have been so consistent over 80+ games now that they simply have to be favourites to get out of the West.
    When GSW play at home you just expect them to win and for Curry and Thompson to combine for 55+ points. The rest is up to their bigs to crash the boards.

Houston though, providing they stay healthy, really look like a team built for the playoffs. There guards can shoot and attack the basket and with Howard they have an unstoppable force if his head is in the game.

Would fancy GSW defensive to stop them.just Harden can kill you just by being fouled. Rather helpfully that curry hasn't needed to play most fourth quarters this season.

I fear the Spurs, even though they are old and to make three finals is rather difficult.they just had some momentum, but Clippers are in the way. Clippers too are dangerous.

We all agree that it's still open, but GSW by far, deserve a Championship. Lovely arena , gorgeous jersey colour, fine team.

Hope Atlanta quash doubts about lack of supposed super stars

Just watched this game last night. Well, at least we found a first quarter that was uglier than Wiz - Raptors; I think both teams shot 24% in the first quarter.

Yeah, it was ugly. It was ugly for 3 quarters until the Bulls pulled away. The Bucks are good defensively, and yes, well-coached. Gasol torched them for 45 points in one of the regular season games, and they were well drilled to prevent that happening again, fronting him to deny him the ball, doubling him any time he got it. It worked, as he shot 4-12. Rose didn't have a good game 2 either.
    I know the Bulls are up two-nil, but after that second game - doesn't it feel like the Bucks might stretch this series to 6 or 7 games?

They deserve to win a game or two, they've played the Bulls tough. And in a normal home-and-away series, I might predict 6 games. But the Bulls have get huge support in the Bradley Centre, it's 80 miles or so up the road. It'll be interesting to see, but the crowd could be 50-50 or even a Bulls majority. So for that reason, I still say 4-5 games. The Bucks could get swept, playing the Bulls close each game, but yeah, they deserve to win a game or two.

(Don't know if it's obvious by now, but I'm from DC and am a big Wizards fan)

I'm glad the Wizards are finding their swagger a little bit. I loved seeing John Wall flex on the crowd - especially after that 3rd quarter sequence where he stuffed Lou Williams and then made the and-1 layup through traffic. I love reading this kind of stuff:
    Pierce’s attitude has become contagious within the Wizards’ locker room. Beal waved goodbye to Lowry after fouling him out in Game 1 and took on the villain role again in Game 2 with his halftime comments and by getting into another exchange with Lowry that earned him a technical foul. Even Otto Porter Jr., who finished with 15 points, talked a little smack after a putback. “I think a lot of the stuff that y’all see that’s coming out, I think it’s always been there. I just think I kind of manifest it to another level,” Pierce said with a laugh.

(Don't know if it's obvious by now, but I'm from DC and am a big Wizards fan)

I'm glad the Wizards are finding their swagger a little bit. I loved seeing John Wall flex on the crowd - especially after that 3rd quarter sequence where he stuffed Lou Williams and then made the and-1 layup through traffic. I love reading this kind of stuff:

I am a big John Wall fan tbh.
    You cant help but think if he can keep attacking the basket like that and getting 10+ dimes a game that they have a decent chance against most teams.
    Gortat is IMO a seriously underrated player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

DRD was a big Wall fan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Soby wrote: »
    DRD was a big Wall fan too.

Please don't discuss banned users

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Sorry D2D.

Woj Bomb, Scott Brooks has been fired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Soby wrote: »
    Sorry D2D.

Woj Bomb, Scott Brooks has been fired.

Jesus, wasn't expecting that at all! Was talked about for a while but didn't think it would actually happen.

He was on borrowed time. He can't make an in game decision to save his life. What should be a team deep in quality is nothing without Both Durant and Westbrook playing together healthy. One of them out, they are screwed, both out, forget it.

Trouble is, who is coming to replace him?

• Advertisement

He should have been gone at the start of last season in fairness. He always seems totally out of his depth. He has two of the best ballers in the league in Durant and Westbrook but struggle when missing one of them.

Advertisement