Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Playoffs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think OKC need new medical staff along with their coaching staff. That situation just got very interesting. Whoever replaces him will have to hit the ground running and be tasked with keeping Durant and Westbrook interested in re-signing along with winning a championship right now. Also who's the alpha dog there now? They could play together when Durant was a clear alpha, but after the season Westbrook just had and with Durant's long-term health concerns, how do you not build around him? Then again...Durant won his MVP race and got them to the playoffs when Westbrook was hurt. Brooks' replacement will need to handle all of that so delicately. No pressure or anything. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I said after they lost in the Finals to Miami a few years ago they should fire Brooks, after he made basic errors (main one being to play Perkins extended minutes against the small Miami lineup, when it was clear after game 1 it was hurting them). Not blowing my own trumpet because other bloggers & commenters were saying it. Just find it interesting that bloggers and fans can sometimes see something and a pro organisation can't...until 3 years down the line.

He was even out of contract after that season, they didn't need to pay him anything. After he screwed up the Finals, they awarded him with a new contract in the summer.

They're desperate now with the prospect of Westbrook and Durant leaving, but they should've showed that urgency before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

leggo wrote: »
    I think OKC need new medical staff along with their coaching staff. That situation just got very interesting. Whoever replaces him will have to hit the ground running and be tasked with keeping Durant and Westbrook interested in re-signing along with winning a championship right now. Also who's the alpha dog there now? They could play together when Durant was a clear alpha, but after the season Westbrook just had and with Durant's long-term health concerns, how do you not build around him? Then again...Durant won his MVP race and got them to the playoffs when Westbrook was hurt. Brooks' replacement will need to handle all of that so delicately. No pressure or anything. :pac:

In fairness to Westbrook I think if he had played the whole year and ibaka had stayed healthy they would have made the playoffs and he would be in the MVP race. I don't think you have to build around either they are friends and durant seems happy to let Westbrook have the ball once he's scoring

wow

Do you expect Rajon Rondo to ever wear a Mavericks uniform again? "No, I don't," Rick Carlisle said.

padraig_f wrote: »
    wow

Do you expect Rajon Rondo to ever wear a Mavericks uniform again? "No, I don't," Rick Carlisle said.

jesus thats blunt did something happen to keep him out of the rest of this series or did he mean after this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

nerd69 wrote: »
    jesus thats blunt did something happen to keep him out of the rest of this series or did he mean after this year

Ruled out indefinitely due to a back injury which was announced just hours after it was rumoured that he wouldn't be coming back if Carlisle was still coaching. All this after playing only 9 minutes last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Ruled out indefinitely due to a back injury which was announced just hours after it was rumoured that he wouldn't be coming back if Carlisle was still coaching. All this after playing only 9 minutes last night.

If Carlisle is still coaching? Rick is one of the best coaches in the league, ofcourse he will still be at the helm next season. Rondo on the otherhand hasn't looked anything like the player he was since blowing out his knee. For Rondo to be good he needs the ball all the time, be the main decision maker on offense, essentially the coach on the floor. He isn't a system player, Carlisle runs a very elaborate and very successful pace and space flow offense that doesn't suit Rondo. Carlisle calls all the plays and doesn't let Rondo run the offense, this has driven Rondo nuts. In games this year he has waived off Carlisles play calls, ran his own stuff and promptly been benched. If this was 2010 playoff Rondo I might argue that Rondo should be allowed to do his own thing ala LeBron, but he's not that guy anymore. He will be a Laker next season, where Kobe will dominate the ball and again make Rondo ineffective. Looking back, trading two key rotational pieces in Brandon Wright and Jae Crowder now looks to have been an awful deal for half a season of Rondo. The team regressed on offense and is still poor defensively. Word at the time was Carlisle was against the Rondo trade, fearing he would mess up their spacing on offense. Hes done much worse than that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

buyer95 wrote: »
    If Carlisle is still coaching? Rick is one of the best coaches in the league, ofcourse he will still be at the helm next season. Rondo on the otherhand hasn't looked anything like the player he was since blowing out his knee. For Rondo to be good he needs the ball all the time, be the main decision maker on offense, essentially the coach on the floor. He isn't a system player, Carlisle runs a very elaborate and very successful pace and space flow offense that doesn't suit Rondo. Carlisle calls all the plays and doesn't let Rondo run the offense, this has driven Rondo nuts. In games this year he has waived off Carlisles play calls, ran his own stuff and promptly been benched. If this was 2010 playoff Rondo I might argue that Rondo should be allowed to do his own thing ala LeBron, but he's not that guy anymore. He will be a Laker next season, where Kobe will dominate the ball and again make Rondo ineffective. Looking back, trading two key rotational pieces in Brandon Wright and Jae Crowder now looks to have been an awful deal for half a season of Rondo. The team regressed on offense and is still poor defensively. Word at the time was Carlisle was against the Rondo trade, fearing he would mess up their spacing on offense. Hes done much worse than that
    Crowder has been excellent for the Celtics. Great coup.

As usual Rondo is being Rondo. Celtics got a great deal there

Now way in hell is Carsile been sacked. Cuban doesn't come across as a guy that would want to loose a guy like Carlisle

What other guys are there to replace people like Carsile and now Brooks?

Crowder has been excellent for the Celtics. Great coup.

As usual Rondo is being Rondo. Celtics got a great deal there

Now way in hell is Carsile been sacked. Cuban doesn't come across as a guy that would want to loose a guy like Carlisle

What other guys are there to replace people like Carsile and now Brooks?
    Carlisles going nowhere, it would be like Pop getting sacked if they lose(which they may) the Clippers series. Hard to know who OKC will plump for, Mark Jackson is being touted as is Jeff Van Gundy.

okc has to be the most attractive coaching position in a long time it really is a dream job.you get two bonafied superstars and another serious player in ibaka if they can stay healthy they can still win multiple rings

• Advertisement

okc has to be the most attractive coaching position in a long time it really is a dream job.you get two bonafied superstars and another serious player in ibaka if they can stay healthy they can still win multiple rings

Talent pool that bad?

Credit to Van Grundy, never saw any coach in sport mote willing to run onto the court and take a slap from an opponent in order to protect his team

OKC could also be a poisonous chalice. Injuries will keep creeping u. This is the third play offs where they didn't have their full team

Doubt Waiters or Westbrook are easy to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Definitely the right move by the Thunder, Brooks is by no means a total failure, he has built a good team that play good basketball plus he has had to mange some big egos. Some of his in game management has been questionable, reminds me of Mark Jackson, cant make timeouts at the right time and can panic toward the end of games. He will get another job in the NBA pretty easy.
    I am sure Durrant and Westbrook had a say in this decision also and they may get a say in the new hire, Kevin Ollie looks to be a favorite, he will have the backing of the two superstars which would make it an easy hire.
    Don't really see any big name coach that would make themselves available, probably a couple of assistants that could take the job, someone like Getry that has served under Pop and has been a part of a great season this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Short term it is anyway.

One of Durant or Westbrook will leave in FA in my opinion, unless they were putting up a front in regards to defending Brooks for as long as they did. I remember Durant flipping out during the All Star break at a reporter for questioning Brooks position as coach. If Durant doesn't leave, Westbrook will. The bright lights of LA and New York will come calling undoubtedly to tempt him away. Given his business ventures off the court is why I can also see him on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Look at the plays in this link. Dude was not interested.

Watched the 2nd half & overtime of Spurs-Clippers this morning, deadly, game of the playoffs so far, I'd say. Pity one of these teams has to go out in the first round, but it does mean we get a great first round series.

I'm still rooting for the Spurs, even though they won it last year, they're so good to watch. I was admiring Boris Diaw last night, doesn't get the headlines, but one of my favourite players to watch. So smart and great touch.

SlimJ wrote: »
    Look at the plays in this link. Dude was not interested.

He's not been interested for s while to be honest he admited to not playing d for the celtics

To be honest, Durant's last statement about the sacking ain't that convincing. He just said he was a nice guy,a good friend and kept everyone together and warm and fuzzy inside.

Feck that, you want a coach who you trust impeccably, can learn from, I doubt Durant has anything to learn from Brooks

While it helps, you don't have to like your coach to have a great professional relationship

Frankly his "statement of support" was mealy mouth

Serge seems to be the only one you really put his flag up NY categorically saying it's not Brooks fault, he ain't responsible for injuries (actually I would expect Thibs to loose his job at Chicago for failing to keep his guys healthy)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Another award for Kawhi. DPOY added to his career.

Another award for Kawhi. DPOY added to his career.

D'Andre Jordan must be bulling

Actually Draymond Green got more first preference vote, easily. He must be furious

It should be all about who got the number 1 vote. Nonsense.

Jordan led the league in blocks and rebounds

Yeah, I love Kahwi but it seems like he got the votes because everyone is determined to make him the next superstar in the league after the Finals MVP. Jordan had his career year and deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

if kawhi was playing the whole year, then yes i would agree with this...

I would have put draymond way ahead of Jordan though, what he does defensively is massive for the warriors...

Only reason I'd put Jordan ahead of Green is the same logic someone (not me) would pick Harden over Curry for MVP: the Warriors are such a complete team that it slightly diminishes individual accomplishment. Whereas DeAndre had to dig in and take over for the Clips on D this year to keep them in the hunt where, at any stage, they could've so easily dropped down the seedings with Blake's injury etc. It's the whole 'most valuable' versus 'best' argument, but Green easily has a claim to the award too.

Great crowd in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

What a finish for the Warriors, after being totally outplayed for most of the game they come from 20 down to tie it up with a crazy 3 from Curry to send it to overtime, should of been +1 but whatever, refs were pretty poor.
    A lot of credit must go to Green, he was the catalyst for getting them back in the game for me, some massive offensive rebounds and they just got it done.
    New Orleans must be sickened, they had it in the bag, but once Kerr went small it changed the game, great coaching.

New Orleans did kind of throw it away though no matter how you look at it, you just cant give up that big a lead in the playoffs. Davis was very good again for them so the future is very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Haven't had a chance to post as things are crazy for me right now in the real world.

I hate saying this as they were my pick to win it all this year but GSW are going to get trounced in Round 2 unless they SERIOUSLY improve and get some composure in themselves and their game. They look so nervous and a different team to the team that had the league's best record. And before anyone says it, it's not the fricking "jump shot teams don't win the play offs", it's just awful execution.

That said, the comeback last night showed heart an guts on a level they haven't had to dig into this year. And Curry was clobbered on that last play. How a ref can't see that is beyond me. He'd have been at the line and as a career 90%+ FT shooter it's game over. Horrible officiating. Imagine if he MISSED the shot? He should have been at the line with 3 shots to tie. Game changing call.

The Scott Brooks thing is a farce. I don't think he's a good coach and should have been sacked before now, but to sack him after KD and Westbrook missed all the games this year is a joke and a chicken-sh!t move by Presti who's likely bricking it he's next too. As previously posted, last chance saloon next year for OKC.

Wil be back later to post my predictions (I know, very late but I'll be honest!) and Extra Butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Couldn't really sleep last night and stayed up to watch Boston vs Cleveland. I've never watched a basketball game before and while some of the terminology was lost on me, I fully enjoyed it.

Barely have time to process various dunks and what have you before the ball is up the other end.

Really great stuff.

Must watch some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Credit to the Bulls and Warriors for coming through last night, even the Cavs looked on the ropes a few times, though it was the first half, so at least it was early. LeBron missing numerous wide open layups, Kyrie being a ghost for a large chunk of the game and in general, some awful turnovers from them. But that was some collapse from the Bucks who were up around 20 points at one stage, and even more so the Pelicans late in the fourth was something else. Couldn't imagine how demoralising it'll be for anyone associated with New Orleans basketball this morning.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Couldn't really sleep last night and stayed up to watch Boston vs Cleveland. I've never watched a basketball game before and while some of the terminology was lost on me, I fully enjoyed it.

Barely have time to process various dunks and what have you before the ball is up the other end.

Really great stuff.

Must watch some more.

It's a action packed sport, the more you watch it the more you will enjoy it. The basic principles of the games are easily understood, there are a lot of intricacies that will go over your head that we often discuss on here, but don't worry about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That_Guy wrote: »

Really great stuff.

Must watch some more.

Welcome to the NBA!
    The game you refer to wasn't even a classic; stick with it and you'll be richly rewarded from an entertainment point of view.

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    Watched the 2nd half & overtime of Spurs-Clippers this morning, deadly, game of the playoffs so far, I'd say. Pity one of these teams has to go out in the first round, but it does mean we get a great first round series.

I'm still rooting for the Spurs, even though they won it last year, they're so good to watch. I was admiring Boris Diaw last night, doesn't get the headlines, but one of my favourite players to watch. So smart and great touch.

Still think that they are the only team to really scare Warriors if they beat Clippers. Don't be shocked if they make the conference finals

Advertisement