Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dental Bridge

• 16-04-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi there!

I'm just wondering if someone could give me even a general idea of what type of price to expect for an Empress Bridge Fit please?

The tooth in question is a top incisor (The tooth beside my front tooth).

And is it okay to ask for recommendations for Dublin?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

A bridge is used to replace a missing tooth and involves usually 3 teeth, a crown is used over and existing tooth. Are you missing a tooth?

The prices will vary wildly. The fact that the Empress material (which is a fine material which I use a lot, but not so hot for bridges) is being used give you no indication of quality no more than the type of bricks a builder uses ensures a sounds and well finished building.

Single crowns will range from 500 euro to 2000 euro, a 3 unit all ceramic bridge will range from 1500 to 6000.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Hi there - and thanks for the info!

Yup, I'm (nearly) missing a tooth - it's held in by a pin at the minute and has deteriorated under the gum so much that it was suggested that I go for a 3 unit Empress Bridge fit.

I was given a price that scared the bejaysus out of me, as I had no frame of reference as to what the going-rate for these things are.
    I know every case is different and it's not something I should or would scrimp on - but money is sooooo tight at the minute that I could really do with finding somewhere that could save me a few hundred quid.

:O(

A bridge is used to replace a missing tooth and involves usually 3 teeth, a crown is used over and existing tooth. Are you missing a tooth?

The prices will vary wildly. The fact that the Empress material (which is a fine material which I use a lot, but not so hot for bridges) is being used give you no indication of quality no more than the type of bricks a builder uses ensures a sounds and well finished building.

Single crowns will range from 500 euro to 2000 euro, a 3 unit all ceramic bridge will range from 1500 to 6000.

Hi again Fitzgeme,

I got what I think is a very reasonable quote for a bridge; its for a 3 unit Zirconium bridge. Would you mind sharing your opinion on the use of zirconium, as it's for my front teeth?

Thanks a million,
    Chris

A nice looking bridge can be made out of any suitable material.
    1. Metal ceramic.
    2. All ceramic like Empress
    3. Zirconia.

It depends on how its made, not what its made from. I usually tell people its like an artist painting a picture, you dont really care the type oof paint so long as the picture is nice.

I can get a 3 unit bridge made from zirconia from a laboratory for about 300 euro however the aesthetics are poor. I can have a metal ceramic bridge made that costs over 1200 euro and it is stunning looking. So the material is not the factor, its is how its prepared, how the gums are managed and how the impressions are made and the skill and technician ability of the technician.

In a general sense I do not favor zirconia for anterior bridges. The connectors between the teeth are bulky for strength and give a poor appearance IMHO. Also there are some issues with the veneering ceramic chipping off the zirconia and it is hard to bond ceramic to zirconia.

Ask to see photographs of examples of the dentists work. Not stock photos, but actual cases. This will let you know the type of aesthetics that dentist can achieve and you can decide if that level of aesthetics is suitable for you.

Here is an example of a zirconia bridge with poor appearance due to excessive connector width.
    Slide25.jpg

Here is a metal ceramic bridge showing the neater connectors you can get with metal.

finished.jpg

Its not what you do its the way that you do it.

Good luck

Hey Fitzgeme,

Thanks a million for taking the time to explain!

Chris

• Advertisement

La Haine wrote: »
    Hey Fitzgeme,

Thanks a million for taking the time to explain!

Chris

Thank you for the thanks, us dentists on here rarely get a thanks and I for one appreciate it.

Advertisement