Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liability for Gym at Work

• 16-04-2015 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Folks, I work for a company who provides a room and some gym equipment 'at work'. It started out with a rowing machine and treadmill, then we got a cross trainer. Then we added free weights and kettle bells. Now, not only do the company employees use it, but Contractors do as well. And it's become 'very popular'. We provide professional training/coaching to our own employees on the use of the weights particularly, both to reduce the risk of an accident, and limit our liability if we do have one. But we're not going to do the same for contractors (it's not practical anyway). So it's almost like we ended up in the 'gym business' by accident.

We could put up a disclaimer notice with words to the effect " Do not use the gym unless you have appropriate training", or we could get contractors to sign an indemnity, or we could ban them altogether.

Anyone got any advice, on how to limit our liability (please !!!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

For anything we have through Sports and Social at work be it football, nights out, etc. it is for employees only.
    IMO that is the way to go. Make it for permanent staff only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

killwill wrote: »
    For anything we have through Sports and Social at work be it football, nights out, etc. it is for employees only.
    IMO that is the way to go. Make it for permanent staff only.

That's completely different a social club is funded and run specifically for employees.
    The above gym isn't part of a social club, its basically a facility of the building. It be like saying toilets are for employers only.

First you should establish if you have any liability. I've a free gym membership through work, I go on my lunch break. If I injury myself on at the gym through my own actions, I don't see how they are liable.

Regardless everyone should either sign a waiver. Or there should be a warning clearly visible at the entrance that states "users do so at their own risk..." "seek proper instruction, etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭shannonman81

We have a gym in work. And under no circumstance would it be ok for a contractor to use it. I wouldn't now the ins and outs of the legality but I can imagine its a minefield.

We pay a euro a week for upkeep, membership, purchasing of new equipment and the like.
    Contractors wouldn't be able to this as they are not on our payroll.

Advertisement