Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played around an hour and a half worth, equating to the first section of the game. Bearing in mind I have a natural bias for this sort of game, I think it is absolutely magnificent. It is beautiful, mysterious and enigmatic in all the right ways. The world feels lived in in ways few games do (despite the complete lack of people :pac:), and it feels incredibly rewarding to explore. The visuals are stunning, but made more so by the frequent bursts of supernatural and surreal imagery bursting into what is otherwise a grounded, totally credible rural English setting.

Basing sections of the game around individual characters is a smart move, and for the first part anyway culminates in a legitimate awe-inspiring transition to the second section. Jessica Curry has also outdone herself: the soundtrack is simply astounding. More than that, the sound design is full of detail and depth in ways that add plenty of new layers to the game's already hypnotic mood.

So yeah, I was never really on the fence about this, so if you're uncertain wait for somebody who maybe was. But to me this is a substantial improvement on what The Chinese Room achieved with Dear Esther, and would recommend it no question to anyone who was left intrigued by that. I can't wait to dig deeper into this particular apocalypse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sooo..... let's say I think Journey was one of the best experiences ever but thought the Stanley Parable was total garbage and a waste of €3.50.... where I would fall on the fence about this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Played around an hour and a half worth, equating to the first section of the game. Bearing in mind I have a natural bias for this sort of game, I think it is absolutely magnificent. It is beautiful, mysterious and enigmatic in all the right ways. The world feels lived in in ways few games do (despite the complete lack of people :pac:), and it feels incredibly rewarding to explore. The visuals are stunning, but made more so by the frequent bursts of supernatural and surreal imagery bursting into what is otherwise a grounded, totally credible rural English setting.

Basing sections of the game around individual characters is a smart move, and for the first part anyway culminates in a legitimate awe-inspiring transition to the second section. Jessica Curry has also outdone herself: the soundtrack is simply astounding. More than that, the sound design is full of detail and depth in ways that add plenty of new layers to the game's already hypnotic mood.

So yeah, I was never really on the fence about this, so if you're uncertain wait for somebody who maybe was. But to me this is a substantial improvement on what The Chinese Room achieved with Dear Esther, and would recommend it no question to anyone who was left intrigued by that. I can't wait to dig deeper into this particular apocalypse :)

Does it need to be played through in one sitting (no idea how long it is) so as not to forget pieces of the story/dialogue etc? Also, are you able to jog/run or are you stuck with the walking pace?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never like trying to predict how anybody would respond to a particular game, especially one likely to prove as divisive as this one. It's much closer in tone and narrative philosophy to Journey, but they're very different types of game at the same time.

My advice: it's fifteen quid, just ****ing go for it :pac:
    Andrew76 wrote:
    Does it need to be played through in one sitting (no idea how long it is) so as not to forget pieces of the story/dialogue etc? Also, are you able to jog/run or are you stuck with the walking pace?

Don't think you could play it in one sitting, unless it's a very long sitting! I've already played for longer than it took to finish Dear Esther, and I'm only past the first section of the game (not sure how many there are, but I've barely made a dent on the in-game maps).

You can only walk. I think it helps set the meditative, considered pace of the game. It will infuriate others :)

My advice: it's fifteen quid, just ****ing go for it :pac:

€15 is lots to me now ;_;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cormac... wrote: »
    but thought the Stanley Parable was total garbage and a waste of €3.50.... where I would fall on the fence about this?

Hopefully on the spike of the fence for hating on the Stanley Parable :eek: That game was sick. It made a mockery of the lack of choice and game narrative. Meta as feck. Loved the humour, too. That bit where he thinks you're dead for being AFK.

@johnny_ultimate

Spoken like a games journalist. Said so much yet nothing. What did you do in the game dude? Half of that was buzzwords :pac:
    Cormac... wrote: »
    €15 is lots to me now ;_;

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=ut1

Hah just saw this blogpost about the walking speed:

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/blog/a-few-bumps-on-landing

Hopefully on the spike of the fence for hating on the Stanley Parable :eek: That game was sick. It made a mockery of the lack of choice and game narrative. Meta as feck. Loved the humour, too. That bit where he thinks you're dead for being AFK.

9b2c01a5284643dd877d558088740640007cf1c030abcb24dfb5abbce549132a.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hah just saw this blogpost about the walking speed:

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/blog/a-few-bumps-on-landing

Excellent, hold down R2. The reason I asked was because chances are I'd want to go back to some previous location where I felt I might have missed something but having to walk back would do my head in. :pac: It also doesn't make sense - I can walk but not run.

Will give it a purchase now.

What did you do in the game dude?

Walked around a rural English village where the residents had been seeming wiped out by some sort of apocalypse. Leisurely poked around the houses, gardens, pubs, community centres where there were ghostly echoes of the once residents, as well as some enigmatic messages on phones and televisions. Focus was on the local parish priest, who had something of a crisis of faith as parishioners started disappearing into thin air around him. Spent copious amounts of time soaking in the visuals and music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Is there any plans for a PC release?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Is there any plans for a PC release?

It's published by Sony so doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have to say, I sank 3 hours into this this evening. Anybody that enjoyed the Journey or similar should pick this up. It is a true next gen game graphics wise and the music and sounds just top it off. I've yet to finish it but at €16 for Plus members it's a steel. The story so far is more of what I've hope and far less of what I feared. Lots of replay value IMO.

Screenshot button was invented for games like this ;) Looks just as good as Ethan Carter in terms of art design and lighting, although a PC version would definitely allow it to soar higher again.

239vg1.jpg

2ekn4hs.jpg

wlx7c1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Screenshot button was invented for games like this ;) Looks just as good as Ethan Carter in terms of art design and lighting, although a PC version would definitely allow it to soar higher again.

wlx7c1.jpg

Jaggy leaf.

2/10, would not play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there an in game map that you bring up?

Is there an in game map that you bring up?

No but plenty of real world maps to refer to during your travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What an age we live in, where people praise & pay for tech demos! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well better pay for new tech demons than copies of the same game with a new skin (see latest BF, any EA sport game etc.).

How is it a tech demo? It's a game, offering an experience.
    You dont need a M4 rifle in everything you play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Played a number of hours last night. This isn't the sort of game I usually play, however I was really drawn into the experience. It is visually stunning and extremely well crafted. I really want to find out what has happened to all those people, and it has hooked me.

Anyone who says this is simply a "tech demo" is talking through their arse and obviously hasn't given it a chance.

Noopti wrote: »
    Anyone who says this is simply a "tech demo" is talking through their arse and obviously hasn't given it a chance.

So you played past the point of unlocking the Shotgun i take it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If we start calling every game built in the latest iteration of CryEngine (or Unreal Engine 4 for that matter) that has decent art direction a tech demo it's going to be a long ass generation. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How long is the game??

How long is the game??

4-6 hours has been mentioned.
    Personally I'm 4 hours in but I dont know how much is left.

Also, there is some replayability from what I hear as there is extra info you can glean by going off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

For people who are not interested in the game and just want to see the ending, there are a few 11 minute completed speedruns of it on Youtube popping up now, although you would be missing out on a great experience if you went this route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

gizmo wrote: »
    If we start calling every game built in the latest iteration of CryEngine (or Unreal Engine 4 for that matter) that has decent art direction a tech demo it's going to be a long ass generation. :o

presumably most games will have challenges to overcome or some form of competition.

strelok wrote: »
    presumably most games will have challenges to overcome or some form of competition.

Most would alright. Not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Noopti wrote: »
    Played a number of hours last night. This isn't the sort of game I usually play, however I was really drawn into the experience. It is visually stunning and extremely well crafted. I really want to find out what has happened to all those people, and it has hooked me.

Sorry, I already played through games set in a world forgotten by time, full of artistic merit, stunning architecture and challenge.

yG3M9Tnl.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorry, I already played through games set in a world forgotten by time, full of artistic merit, stunning architecture and challenge.

So you haven't played Everybody has Gone to the Rapture then? Ico is one of my favourite games ever made. Still adore this though.

Advertisement