Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your longest cycle?

• 16-04-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

mine wouldn't even come close to an audax event but I met some mad men from Meath who cycled down to the Ring of Kerry last year, did the Ring and then cycled back.

Even though they looked more like prop forwards, having set in with them for 20kms or so, these boys could pedal hard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

229km is the longest so far for me, in China, from Chengde to Beijing. Hoping to get a 300km in at some point this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

150km (ish) for me - somewhere in Norway.
    Was only supposed to be 120km - one or two wrong turns and it became a very long day. I think it ended up taking about 12 hours or something ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Conor20

About 370km - from Dublin to Dingle a few years ago. Into a good westerly wind too! I slept in Tipparary for a few hours along the way, not sure if that counts as cheating. Great spin!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

245k taking a rather circuitous route from Dublin to Dungarvan. Not the hardest day on the bike by a long way though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    mine wouldn't even come close to an audax event but I met some mad men from Meath who cycled down to the Ring of Kerry last year, did the Ring and then cycled back.

Even though they looked more like prop forwards, having set in with them for 20kms or so, these boys could pedal hard.

meath to kerry over 300km. 170 for the ring. 300 back up. almost 800km.

even averaging 40km/hr, which i doubt, that's 20 hours. world record for 24 hours is 816km.

not doubting what they did, but are you sure they did it non stop? (and i don't mean breaks, but an overnight stop somewhere? cycling down the day before, sleeping, then doing the ring, night on the town and cycle back is still impressive, but nothing compared to 800km in one cycle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

230K is my longest. It was "The Big Italian Bike Ride" last year. It was the same route as Stage 2 of the Giro.
    Great day on the bike, good buzz.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/493442309

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Wicklow 200 in 2011/2012 or whatever year was the miserable weather! Even with the spin to/from my sister's house in Charlesland (near Shoreline) I only got 196km and didn't break the 200! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

213km in the Yeats 200 last year with 2900m of climbing. Tough day on a bike for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

mossym wrote: »
    meath to kerry over 300km. 170 for the ring. 300 back up. almost 800km.

even averaging 40km/hr, which i doubt, that's 20 hours. world record for 24 hours is 816km.

not doubting what they did, but are you sure they did it non stop? (and i don't mean breaks, but an overnight stop somewhere? cycling down the day before, sleeping, then doing the ring, night on the town and cycle back is still impressive, but nothing compared to 800km in one cycle)

i can't be sure of anything in life but that's what they said to me, however I wasn't try to infer they they did it all in one go - they'd be some men if they did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

g0g wrote: »
    Wicklow 200 in 2011/2012 or whatever year was the miserable weather! Even with the spin to/from my sister's house in Charlesland (near Shoreline) I only got 196km and didn't break the 200! :(

Yep, a truly horrendous 11 hours on the hybrid for me that day, also for just under 200k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

g0g wrote: »

I think in fairness anyone who managed the 200 that year deserves to have their effort doubled considering how epically bad the weather was (I did the ww200 the following year, when the weather was perfect, so I feel a bit like I cheated)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

240km spin from Malahide to Rosses Point in Sligo, a massively tough day in the saddle with a strong head wind for the entire journey

The 240km back the next day was somewhat easier with that same wind a big help

Love to do an audax event during the summer and break the 300 mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

What are the 'rules' for your longest spin ?!
    Does stopping for a snack break a rule, stopping at traffic lights, stopping to fix a puncture, and how long can you be stopped for ? etc etc etc !

I can remember one particular 'non-stopper' of just over 100km, and my only food was a packet of hula-hoops, eaten on the go, and I was trying to do it at 30km/h pace. It had started out as a 60km spin but grew-legs :rolleyes:

I have fond memories of another long spin, the Sean Kelly Tour, 160km version, and I travelled all the way down to Dungarvan but without my............cycling shoes, so I went round in my runners :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Dying Sow 300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

295kms. Milan San Remo Sportif.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10725069

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I tagged along with a gang of ten or so for an organised 200 miler. Ended up doing 326km at a 30.6kph average. Pan flat from Dublin towards the middle of the country and back. We're lucky with the weather and the wind. Had a nice tailwind when we turned for home. Great to have done it but certainly no desire to repeat or beat it. Very hard on the ar$e. Sitting back on the saddle after a break at the 220k mark with 100k to go. - Ouch.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    295kms. Milan San Remo Sportif.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10725069

That tempts me to delete mine!

Savage average speed. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Virginia 300 a couple of years ago. Haven't come close in ages

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

218km. Have done 200km + 3 times.

Hope to do a couple of 200km + this year. Maybe even 250km or 300km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

331k last Saturday is my longest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That tempts me to delete mine!

Savage average speed. Well done.

Thanks. Part of that was done within a massive peloton. Somewhere around the 200km mark I lost a bit of myself out there and had a bit of time in my own little limbo! Headwind all the way along the coast IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

410 km on the Fleche - fixed gear. Some longer ones coming up, and hopefully Paris Brest Paris in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Conor20 wrote: »
    About 370km - from Dublin to Dingle a few years ago. Into a good westerly wind too! I slept in Tipparary for a few hours along the way, not sure if that counts as cheating. Great spin!

Puts my 137km, from Castlemaine to Clogher Head and back, to shame.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    410 km on the Fleche - fixed gear. Some longer ones coming up, and hopefully Paris Brest Paris in August.

Ah, here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Committed audaxer here but even then I'm in the ha'penny place in comparison to some...

434km as part of a 600km audax last year. If you don't count the 2 1/2 hours sleep, then 600km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Committed audaxer here but even then I'm in the ha'penny place in comparison to some...

434km as part of a 600km audax last year. If you don't count the 2 1/2 hours sleep, then 600km.
    I reckoned this thread would finish when you came along!

I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Wicklow 200 in 2011 weather was pissing from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

200 km from maynooth to galway (galway cycle) last March.

Pittance in comparison to some :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

240 or so a good few years back. Kenmare - Dingle - Conor Pass - dingle slea head - Kenmare. It was a sun splitting the rocks day.
    Several 200s.

I have always wanted to do a flèche and would really love to cycle from my house in Kerry to my house in Dublin (330km).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Wicklow 200 - 7 or 8 times. Time to try something different this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Last nights 8k TT! Thought the finish line would never arrive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Good few 200s (if you count the to and from the start/finish in the Dying Light probably about 210 was the longest). None of them in the top ten of toughest days on a bike though, including the pissing rain 2011 Wicklow 200 (which was actually grand as I was well dressed for the occasion).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I feel so puny. 130km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

170 so far. Hoping to do 200 for first time at WW200 in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Did 520km from Malin head to hook head last summer for charity , left Malin at 2pm Saturday and arrived in Hook at 2pm Sunday . A few stops for grub and a couple of changes of gear on the way because we got a real soaking through the night . The plan is to do 1000km next year for the same charity .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I feel so puny. 130km

131!! Booyaahh!!!!

@Nameless Phil - I saw some Australian recently post a ride on Strava of over 1000 km, but on closer inspection it was 3 days with breaks of up to 9 hours. Don't get me wrong, 300 odd km per day over a bank holiday weekend is still very impressive but surely having a 9 hour break means it's a new ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

200 km maynooth to Galway this year. We'll proud of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Jesus and here's me dreading 170km for the Ring of Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

310 Dublin Cork. Strava kindly added about 4km I didn't do because some of the people I was with had a short spin to the start. I've done 200 about half a dozen times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Rule should be how long without retiring to a bed or a nominal bed / home. Sleeping in a field under a blanket for an hour or two is ok, sleeping in a tent you brought on your touring bike not?

Think that Austrian fella managed to do RAM (3000 kms odd I think?) on six hours sleep and did it at a faster average pace than I did Dublin to Howth that weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

160.4kms. Last year's Sean Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

93KM a few weeks back. I have, however, signed up today for the Wicklow 200 :) I am not quite sure what I have got myself into, but I am going to attempt the Wicklow 100 route this weekend and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

The organiser of MB200, presume he may occasionally post here, did Paris Brest Paris 1200 in 54h or so 4 years ago. Not much in the line of sleep or rest. He wasn't the fastest either!
    Did 6/7 hilly cycles last year over 300km and Fleche was 440 something. However two hardest cycles were two 120km sportives!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Too scared to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

405.4km Easter Fleche 2014

Strava

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about 105km, maybe 13 years ago. i'd just bought my first road bike, and agreed to meet a friend who would go out for an hour or two with his mates on a saturday morning, seemed a good way to break in the new bike. none of his usual friends could make it, so he rang a couple of his team mates in the ravens who were training for the ras; and i got home about four or five hours later. my previous best had been probably 30km. i was a broken man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

167 km
    I would dearly love to complete a 200km this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

203.6k for me Wicklow 200 in 2013

Extra km or so at the end cause i couldn't find my bloody car at the end due to severe exhaustion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ANother for the 2011 WW200... I've sworn never to do over 135km ever again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement