Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your longest cycle?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

3km to collect the jeep the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Arklow - Laragh- Sally Gap - Pier Gates(Luggala) - wicklow way to LoughDan- Laragh - Glendalough - Lugduff/boardwalk - Down into Glenmalure - greenane - clash - meetings - Arklow

Gone further but never longer
    was aged about 17, on ususpended mountainbikes.
    The speedo said about 108 km
    9 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    131!! Booyaahh!!!!

@Nameless Phil - I saw some Australian recently post a ride on Strava of over 1000 km, but on closer inspection it was 3 days with breaks of up to 9 hours. Don't get me wrong, 300 odd km per day over a bank holiday weekend is still very impressive but surely having a 9 hour break means it's a new ride?
    A certain Boardsie who posts here regularly has longest ride in his Strava profile of over 5000k!

Garmin kept continually charged for a few months?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

414km....from cork city to Belfast City for the Giro last May...left at 3.30am with a couple other lunatics...arrived in Belfast just after midnight... Made nice road speed, had extended breaks every 50km or so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Mile Failte 1200km last summer around the south / south west over 86.5hrs with a few (not enough!) hours sleep... longest in one go (no sleep) would be a solo attempt at the REK 400 last year, ended up about 425km in 25hrs including getting to and from the start point...

414km....from cork city to Belfast City for the Giro last May...left at 3.30am with a couple other lunatics...arrived in Belfast just after midnight... Made nice road speed, had extended breaks every 50km or so!!
    Did you meet Sean Kelly when looking for your accomodation in Belfast? I recall him mentioning in his commentary the next day that he had encountered a group of lads around midnight who had cycled from Cork and were looking for their hotel. He was very impressed. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What are the 'rules' for your longest spin ?!
    Does stopping for a snack break a rule, stopping at traffic lights, stopping to fix a puncture, and how long can you be stopped for ? etc etc etc !

Managed a route on the winter solstice last year coming up from south Wexford of about 175k, no traffic lights until I hit Rathfarnham, eating as I went. Three p-stops, a couple of minutes each, as there are limits and one to refill bottles. Way slower than most here at 22kph, more tortoise than hare on the bike, and a pretty mellow day on the bike. Would love to do a 300k, but would fully expect to take 15-16 hours at my pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

My longest ever is the 2013 edition of the evil 200 + 23km....won't be doing that again in a hurry.... Now I stick to rides shorter than 2 hours at a time

https://www.strava.com/activities/59059159

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

226k for me, Dublin to Galway last September. As easy as it gets though, pan flat and with a tailwind https://www.strava.com/activities/196905129

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

256km, Le Mans to Chateauxroux (I think), it was supposed to be 220ish but I had a few punctures so I turned around to get spares. Easy route though plus sign posted as the TdF was taking the same route the next day. Without taking my arse off the saddle is 130-160, can't remember. I did the rebel tour without stopping at all.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

smacl wrote: »
    Would love to do a 300k, but would fully expect to take 15-16 hours at my pace.

You'd have no problem doing a 300. Honestly, you have plenty of time. the minimum average speed is 15kph, so your time limit for a 300 is 20 hours. You can be what's known as a "full-value" cyclist and go right up to the time limit.

The main aim of audax is pacing yourself, there'll always be people faster or slower than you. Much of the riding is in your own head.

Once you get your head around the idea that you will be riding 300km it's actually very easy, break it down into chunks, stop if you have to for food and a rest and get back on the bike.

The next 300 is the Carlingford 300 for anyone who wants to tackle something more than a 200. If you can ride 200 you can certainly ride a 300. The organiser is still taking entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

110km, Tour de Foothills last weekend. Signed up for the WW200. Slightly apprehensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

had
    Did you meet Sean Kelly when looking for your accomodation in Belfast? I recall him mentioning in his commentary the next day that he had encountered a group of lads around midnight who had cycled from Cork and were looking for their hotel. He was very impressed.

Sure did....yeah he mentioned us on Eurosport and the next day, and also on the second last stage he mentioned us again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just over 600k last September on the AudaxUK 'Flatlands 600'. That included 2h30 in a sleeping bag on the bank of a river outside Gainsborough at 377k. 1200 PBP is in this year's plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Neleven wrote: »
    Too scared to post.
    yeah, me to!

• Advertisement

227, Wicklow 200 + cycling to it. Few years ago at this stage.

Don't like going over 160km these days, its long enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

110km, Tour de Foothills last weekend. Signed up for the WW200. Slightly apprehensive.

If you managed to finish the TdF in last weekend's downpour, fair play and the ww200 will be grand for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Dónal wrote: »
    Don't like going over 160km these days, its long enough for me.

Similar. I actually really dislike long cycles and prefer 2-3 hours. Despite that some of my best memories on the bike are long cycles. Last year I spent very little time on the bike but managed a one day solo escape from Dublin to Limerick down the old N7. Breakfast of coffee. Packed three gels. Hit the road. Appletart in Monasterevin. A 99 somewhere in The middle. A chocolate shake in Roscrea and temp hitting 30 for much of the day.
    Prior to that I fondly recall a cycle in the Pyrenees organised by Capt Havoc. 220km on no food due to illness. LennyMc and myself stopped for steak and chips at the halfway stage and powered the last 100k.

I get really apprehensive before a long event and I have no idea why - what's the worst that could happen? But despite that every easier I feel dead jealous of those about to set off doing a flèche. Every year I promise myself that I will do it but never do. Need to change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

25km a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

6,000kms from Seattle to Washington DC in 2010, with 42 little sleeps in between :)

COA%2Broute.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

For those mad feckers that don't mind spending a day in the saddle. Some savage distances fair play to ye FB_IMG_1429306516103_zpssjhr04br.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Easter Fleche 2014 for me as well 447.2km should have done the extra 2.8 km
    https://www.strava.com/activities/132412800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's a dammned hard 2.8k to do at that end of the ride...

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

170ish km last summer From Cork to Somewhere just inside Galway. Day one of a nearly 300 km with a group of friends and others. Doing it again this year and considering the WW200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

I did the 520km spin from Malin to Hook Head with Fondriest last summer- more less non stop bar a couple of brief stops for food/fuel, all in 19hrs 40 mins in the saddle, unforgettable experience for many many reasons, looking forward to the next challenge of hitting all 32 counties / 1,000 km over 48 hrs next year

cdaly_ wrote: »
    It's a dammned hard 2.8k to do at that end of the ride...
    The first time I did a 300k, I arrived near home with 297k done. It was lashing rain and I was cold and wet. I just wanted to go home but I knew I would have really regretted it afterwards so I did a few laps of the block passing my own front door several times. When the Garmin reached 300k, I was very tempted to end it, but from experience I decided to throw in another lap to bring it to 301k. I wasn't going to be caught again ending a long ride to discover sometimes that, when uploaded, the ride is slightly shortened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chrissy_W

Not as impressive as most on here, but in Ireland my longest cycle has only been to Howth from Knocklyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

100km a few weeks ago, along the Grand Canal from Dublin to Tullamore. Muddy and uncycleable at parts.

I learnt that I need better padded cycling shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Kebel wrote: »
    I did the 520km spin from Malin to Hook Head with Fondriest last summer- more less non stop bar a couple of brief stops for food/fuel, all in 19hrs 40 mins in the saddle, unforgettable experience for many many reasons, looking forward to the next challenge of hitting all 32 counties / 1,000 km over 48 hrs next year

Eh 48hrs ?? :eek: I don't remember saying 48hrs . I might have said a couple of days give or take ........

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Not the longest I have done but I did do a cycle that was 99.9km long and I doubt I will ever do one as long again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

fondriest wrote: »
    Eh 48hrs ?? :eek: I don't remember saying 48hrs . I might have said a couple of days give or take ........

@Fondriest, phew that's a relief ..... I think :)

Sure at that rate we might even have time for an ice cream !!!

Seriously though, if we get the same back up crew, (and riders) it will be unforgettable, I don't think I ever laughed as much before or since as I did in Donegal. How some of us weren't locked up that day is an absolute miracle .... :)

Advertisement