Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA player of the year 2014/15

Comments

5starpool wrote: »
    As I said earlier, I don't think Coutinho (or any Liverpool player) deserves to be on the lists, but the fact remains that he got voted onto the list by his fellow pros, so obviously got more votes than everyone not on the list.

It's a pretty hard concept to grasp tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How many times has a player won both awards?

I do agree if youre in the main sward ya shouldnt get nominated for the YPOTY.

Its also been mentioned but id imagine theres a lot of tactical votes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It'll be Hazard and Kane.

On another note, Coutinho is touching Vincent Kompany levels of overrated at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

GavRedKing wrote: »
    How many times has a player won both awards?

I do agree if youre in the main sward ya shouldnt get nominated for the YPOTY.

Its also been mentioned but id imagine theres a lot of tactical votes too.

How do you mean tactical votes? Players can't vote for their team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Lucas Hood wrote: »

They are voting for players who havent a hope in winning. Terry votes Coutinho instead of De Gea or Kane helps Hazard.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty sure even Liverpool fans have been on his back for being inconsistent..

I certainly wouldn't say anyone has been on his back about it, but most of us acknowledge that he has been pretty inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah I just prefer to watch the games than count stats and he's Liverpool's most important player and will deservedly win the club's player of the season even though someone like Jordan Henderson actually scores more goals and has more assists. Coutinho is the one who makes everything tick and when he plays well the team generally play well and when he's off his game the same applies. Players of his ilk are hard to classify into simple numbers on a page because they bring something almost intangible to their teams whether it's linking up play or allowing the team to be more fluid. When he's not there you notice he's not there.

Look, I agree with you. Stats only count for so much when isolated. But to be in the discussion for POTY, you have to be particularly good at something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This award is turning into a whoever wins it gets a move to real or barca in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

MD1990 wrote: »
    The obsession with stats is why Coutinho doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
    The most entertaining footballer in the PL.

But its not an award for the most entertaining footballer in the league. Its for the player of the year which he isnt. And isnt in the top 6 performers this season. Maybe he would be in the top 6 entertainers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

shano_88 wrote: »
    But its not an award for the most entertaining footballer in the league. Its for the player of the year which he isnt. And isnt in the top 6 performers this season. Maybe he would be in the top 6 entertainers though.

Not for me either tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

shano_88 wrote: »

But he is going by the votes of his peers and that's all that matters ultimately. If it was the votes of a handful of people that would be one thing but it's the votes of hundreds of fellow professionals so you have to collect a lot of votes even to be nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Maybe Arsenal and Man U players voted for him in order to sabotage the award as a numerous prank.

But he is going by the votes of his peers and that's all that matters ultimately. If it was the votes of a handful of people that would be one thing but it's the votes of hundreds of fellow professionals so you have to collect a lot of votes even to be nominated.
    But like, people aren't suggesting that he didn't get in the top 6. That isn't the discussion at hand. I accept that much. It is that he shouldn't have been. Because he wasn't good enough to be in the top 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

No mention of Fellaini but the Balon D'Or will have to do him

CSF wrote: »
    But like, people aren't suggesting that he didn't get in the top 6. That isn't the discussion at hand. I accept that much. It is that he shouldn't have been. Because he wasn't good enough to be in the top 6.

Obviously his fellow pros must think otherwise. It's a vote. What can you do? You get enough votes and you go on the list.

Obviously his fellow pros must think otherwise. It's a vote. What can you do? You get enough votes and you go on the list.
    I know he is on the list. But the question is how, and I'm definitely inclined to think he has benefitted from tactical voting. The lad just isn't in those upper echelons. I've asked what these qualities are that he consistently shows and I'm getting nothing.

I know he is on the list. But the question is how, and I'm definitely inclined to think he has benefitted from tactical voting.

There are hundreds of professionals eligible to vote. There is no way that amount of tactical voting is going on that could get him nominated. It's completely daft.

I'd say it's nothing more than when the voting forms were going round he was in great form and nearly all the Liverpool games around then were live on telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Take Terrys vote for instance, hes not going to vote Kane in the main award he might win, ditto for voting someone like Aguero, Sanchez or De Gea.

By going for Couthino, a good player to watch and probably hard to play against, hes not going to look like a mug compared to throwing down a name that you know has no hope of winning it.

Team of the year will be interesting too.

There are hundreds of professionals eligible to vote. There is no way that amount of tactical voting is going on that could get him nominated. It's completely daft.
    You'd have to imagine Hazard, Kane and De Gea are covering between 80 and 90% of the voting to be fair.

Like I honestly don't get it, what does Coutinho bring to the table that other players don't? What has he been doing consistently that other players aren't? I'm not a Liverpool fan, so others have seen him more than me (but I watch 90% of televised games so I've seen alot at the same time), but he wouldn't even be the number 1 performing Liverpool player IMO. It just seems such an out there choice.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Take Terrys vote for instance, hes not going to vote Kane in the main award he might win, ditto for voting someone like Aguero, Sanchez or De Gea.

By going for Couthino, a good player to watch and probably hard to play against, hes not going to look like a mug compared to throwing down a name that you know has no hope of winning it.

Team of the year will be interesting too.
    You'd have to imagine Coutinho is in it based on voting, which probably means no Silva, which is shocking when you consider how impressive a season he has had.

The award is a farce anyway.

Hilarious watching people care who gets nominated. It's footballers with low intelligence voting for footballers with low intelligence.

It's a meaningless award from a supporters viewpoint. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The award is a farce anyway.

Hilarious watching people care who gets nominated. It's footballers with low intelligence voting for footballers with low intelligence.

It's a meaningless award from a supporters viewpoint. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things
    You could probably argue the same for any award though, especially when you see some of the crazy choices on the Ballon D'or spreadsheets that come out.

Doesn't seem to stop them being a massive deal once the time comes around.

You could probably argue the same for any award though, especially when you see some of the crazy choices on the Ballon D'or spreadsheets that come out.

Doesn't seem to stop them being a massive deal once the time comes around.

Is it a big deal though? It's overhyped nonsense.

Will any fan celebrate their player winning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If Sanchez gets it im going on a fcukin mad one

Although he'll come 4th that's what we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The player is the only winner, for the rest of us its like winning the fair play league.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is it a big deal though? It's overhyped nonsense.

Will any fan celebrate their player winning it?
    I would be delighted if any player from Shels or Villa won an individual award. I get excited when ex-Shels players win Ireland Under 21 caps. United and Liverpool fans don't know how good they have it sometimes in that respect. I'd imagine Tottenham fans would be the same with Kane.

Soups123 wrote: »
    If Sanchez gets it im going on a fcukin mad one

Although he'll come 4th that's what we do

Coutinho 5th.

Next year he'll win it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hazard will win the big one I think and Kane gets the young player award imo.

Disappointed not to see a couple of players there. Silva has been one of the best players in the league this year imo and I was expecting at least one of Matic and Fabregas to be there. I don't think Diego Costa deserves to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hazard and it's not even close, he has been the best and most consistent player all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

John Terry is a Chelsea fan, always has been. Terry put him in his top 10, it completely negates your point I'm afraid.

John Terry was a Utd fan growing up, as were his father and grandfather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you didn't pick Coutinho and Sterling.

Ah now I may use Liverpool as an example at times as I know the club better than I would know other clubs, but I feel I am far from an extreme bias towards them.

Coutinho doesnt belong on the list. Sterling probably does as he stepped up to the plate prior to christmas.

For me Sterling Kane Ings Beranhio and possibly Zouma are the ones I would put on the shortlist for young player of the year.

But Thats only because I dont think established players like Hazard belong on that particular list.

Dont accuse me of bias unless you can actually back up your statement. I havent shown any extreme bias on here (I'm sure I have been a little bias but I try not to be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hazard the easy winner. My favourite player to watch along with Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hazard should win it. If not him, than Kane.

Should win it and will win it are two different things however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Coutinho has been in good form in the last couple of months but aside from that he has been average this season. Benteke probably deserves to be on the list more than him.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Coutinho has been in good form in the last couple of months but aside from that he has been average this season. Benteke probably deserves to be on the list more than him.

Benteke only started scoring goals in the past few weeks. 8 of his 10 goals have come in the past month. Would be a worthy winner of player of the month alright but hardly for player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

My favourite player this season is easily Balotelli, never a full moment when he's around.

Best player will probably go to Kane however.

Benteke only started scoring goals in the past few weeks. 8 of his 10 goals have come in the past month. Would be a worthy winner of player of the month alright but hardly for player of the year.

Yup, Hutton will probably get Villa POTY and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Eden Hazard has to get the award. He has been sensational. Harry Kane for young player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I'm usually the first to have a moan about Coutinho's consistentcy but I don't see the big deal about including him. He may have been slow to get going but he's easily been one of the best performers in the league since January.

Not saying he should win, as that should go to someone who has been consistent throughout. Someone like Hazard. But if someone has a detailed dossier on should be in Coutinho's spot by all means throw it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

cSE6lrQ.jpg

Watch the thread explode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

No one is saying Di Maria should be in there instead of Coutinho though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

HAS TO BE BALOTELLI...

David De Gea all day long he is so influential this year United would be lost without him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Eden Hazard has to get the award. He has been sensational. Harry Kane for young player.
    My heart says De Gea but apart from that your spot on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I'm usually the first to have a moan about Coutinho's consistentcy but I don't see the big deal about including him. He may have been slow to get going but he's easily been one of the best performers in the league since January.

Because their have been heaps of better players then him. Aguero, Silva, Matic, Fabregas just off the top of my head.

I'm not sure why this debate is still going on. Coutinho won't win, or probably even be in the top 3, but he got more votes than eveyone not on the list. It's not the way most of us see it, but it's not the most mind boggling thing I've ever seen either. I can understand why he's in the top 6 even if I don't personally agree he should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Coutinho is a joy to watch when he's on his game and if he was in or around his best all season there would be no argument. He shouldn't be on the list for the same reason Fabregas isn't on it.

Coutinho is a joy to watch when he's on his game and if he was in or around his best all season there would be no argument. He shouldn't be on the list for the same reason Fabregas isn't on it.

If Fabregas has his season reversed (started slowly, then after Christmas showed his early season form) he'd definitely be on the list.

It's only down to things being fresh in peoples minds, that's why these votes are very subjective and shouldn't be read into too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

cSE6lrQ.jpg

Watch the thread explode

Coutinho - 8m
    Di Maria - 59.7m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

brevity wrote: »
    Coutinho - 8m
    Di Maria - 59.7m

Bit of an Invalid point when theres roughly 400 minutes in the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

cSE6lrQ.jpg

Watch the thread explode
    Again the obsession with stats.
    No doubt Coutinho has been better this season than Di Maria.

Advertisement