Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revolutionaries' favorite pubs?

Options
  • 16-04-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I would like to know which pub the '16 revolutionaries used to hang.

The only one I know was Michael Collins used to go to JM Cleary's near Conolly station.
    I also know some were totally sober.
    Some more worthy mentioning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moving to Dublin City as you'd probably get a better idea from the locals.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I would like to know which pub the '16 revolutionaries used to hang.

The only one I know was Michael Collins used to go to JM Cleary's near Conolly station.
    I also know some were totally sober.
    Some more worthy mentioning?

A lot of the plotting was done in Wynn's Hotel. Like a lot of people who actually were involved in 1916, they don't advertise it too blatantly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Pearse signed the order to surrender in Conways on Parnell St. Not sure if any of them drank there. It's closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rumour has it, a bit of the proclamation that Pearse read out outside the GPO on Easter Monday was omitted.

A very rare copy of the actual text, that was found a few years ago, included the last paragraph:
    We place the cause of the Irish Republic under the protection of the Most High God, Whose blessing we invoke upon our arms, and we pray that no one who serves that cause will dishonour it by cowardice, inhumanity, or rapine. In this supreme hour the Irish nation must, by its valour and discipline, and by the readiness of its children to sacrifice themselves for the common good, prove itself worthy of the august destiny to which it is called. See you all in Coppers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

On a side note, all the volunteers that ordered to occupy pubs were on strict orders not to touch a drop. And by all accounts they didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement