Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming PC

Options
  • 16-04-2015 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My current rig was mid-range-ish and is probably due for an overhaul. I'm trying to move away from "buy the cheap end of mid-range".

1. What is your budget? About €800.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (GTV 5, Cities:Skylines,)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? HDD/SSD, possibly the PSU too.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1680x1050 & 1280x1024 dual monitor set up. Might upgrade, but not planning to. A 1900 might tempt me if price is right.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not really. I'd rather not risk something burning out.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card or Cash

9. When are you purchasing? Not rushed, but within 3 months.

What I currently have:
    Drives: 250gig SSD, 1Terra and 500gig HDDs.
    GPU: GTX 660.
    PSU: FirePower ModXStream Pro 700MXSP 700W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 185
    GTX 970 370
    Nanoxia DS3 65
    Crucial ballistic sport ram 8gb 65
    Motherboard 80

Total is 777 delivered roughly.

Will link later

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adder_86

Thanks for the reply. Looks like that mobo-pack/graphics is your standard pick for this price range, got the links from other threads.

Any idea if FirePower ModXStream PSUs are good? The Thermaltake 630W is not expensive, so it won't break the bank. But I did pay extra for a modular PSU after my last one crapped out.

I'm asleep altogether ffs. Will link now

One other question then: If I wanted a 1080 monitor, what would you recommend? Is it worth going branded (Asus/Philips) or would a cheapo one from Dabs.ie do it?

Item|Price
    ASRock H97 Pro4, LGA 1150, ATX|€€ 85
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 55
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black, without power supply|€€ 66
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G, 4GB GDDR5|€€ 369
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 182
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€771

Now we're talking, I hadn't re-read your OP so I screwed up. These are the parts you want.
    I'd say you're better going branded, if you see a cheap one that looks well then a google of it is never bad form, you can't lump all small brands as crap and big brands as great imo.

• Advertisement

The Firepower has far more power than you need, so you might as well hold onto it for upgrades and such. Never heard of the brand but 4 stars on Amazon and Newegg so they're doing something right

Tell me about it; that's why I use Monoprice headphones (especially since I have family that can cut down on US shipping costs).

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Advertisement