Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Deinonychus could fly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

hard to beleive they did though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Definitely no stranger than say, a Quetzalcoatlus...

Since Deinonychus were apparently quite aggressive and possibly cannibalistic, I can see how climbing trees and flying would have given them an advantage over the adults, allowing them to grow without being eaten by their elders- sort of like young Komodo dragons seeking refuge in trees until they're big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I would have thought it more likely that a big leap and "powered" glide a tad more likely tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Well, if they were arboreal chances are they were not particularly good fliers- maybe the neotropical cracids would be a good equivalent? They can fly but usually just leap from one branch to another, very rarely attempting long trips...

tumblr_mnfjb2q9mx1rxyvj1o2_500.jpg

Guan_chestnutbel-BRZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Linnaeus

I do not think that Deinonychus could have flown, at any age. We simply do not have enough evidence to support this hypothesis. True, certain small dromaeosaurids and coelosaurian dinosaurs were evolving anatomically toward avian forms. But today, there is no solid proof that Deinonychus had feathers or wings.

The members of Microraptoria, such as the recently discovered four-winged Changyuraptor, were much more likely to have possessed the power of true flight or at least sturdy gliding ability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UqJxj2t.jpg

Advertisement