Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike rack for camper van

Options
  • 16-04-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

hi, would anyone know where to get a second hand bike rack for a camper van?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

What type of camper? Unless somebody is scrapping a camper they are unlikely to be selling a rack. If you have a tow bar you could get a tow at mounted rack. They are not that expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nedjordan

*Kol* wrote: »
    What type of camper? Unless somebody is scrapping a camper they are unlikely to be selling a rack. If you have a tow bar you could get a tow at mounted rack. They are not that expensive

there is no tow on it, its a hymer van

Donaghys have a nice Fiamma rack for €289.

Donaghys have a nice Fiamma rack for €289.

that is a good price, will have a look, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Had both Omnistor and Fiamma bike racks. Fiamma are better.

That Fiamma one in Donagheys for €289 is the Carry-Bike Pro. Comes with rails and blocks (1&3) to carry 2 bikes but can take 4 bikes. If carrying 4 bikes you'll need to purchase the extra 2 x rails and 2 x blocks (2&4).

http://www.partsformotorhomes.com/travel-leisure/cycling-bikes/bike-carriers.html

Regarding your payload, don't forget that a bike rack and 4 standard bikes will add an extra 50-60kg.

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Had both Omnistor and Fiamma bike racks. Fiamma are better.

That Fiamma one in Donagheys for €289 is the Carry-Bike Pro. Comes with rails and blocks (1&3) to carry 2 bikes but can take 4 bikes. If carrying 4 bikes you'll need to purchase the extra 2 x rails and 2 x blocks (2&4).

http://www.partsformotorhomes.com/travel-leisure/cycling-bikes/bike-carriers.html

Regarding your payload, don't forget that a bike rack and 4 standard bikes will add an extra 50-60kg.

Good point about the weight. I am always reluctant to put 4 bikes on the rack. I think the max weight capability of most racks is around 60kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Good point about the weight. I am always reluctant to put 4 bikes on the rack. I think the max weight capability of most racks is around 60kg.

That's right. When you think that the rack itself is about 8kg and then 4 x hybrid/mountain bikes at 12-15kg each (road bikes will be lighter) its easy to exceed 60kg. Excuse to upgrade your bikes to lighter models!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I won't fit 4 rail racks anymore unless the owner specifically insists on iT. Too much weight dancing on lightweight walls, on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

i have a Fiamma 3 bike rack in the garage at home which I took off my camper last year; replaced with a 4 bike Omnistor. I'll dig it out and see if i have all the fittings, If so, its for sale. Travelling home tonight, so it will be tomorrow before i can have a look if that's any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

There was a 2 bike camper rack for sale at the Kilkenny car boot sale today.

• Advertisement

mcquill wrote: »
    i have a Fiamma 3 bike rack in the garage at home which I took off my camper last year; replaced with a 4 bike Omnistor. I'll dig it out and see if i have all the fittings, If so, its for sale. Travelling home tonight, so it will be tomorrow before i can have a look if that's any good?

hi,sorry ionly seen this message now, that would br great if you have it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

PM Sent nedjordan

Advertisement