Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxis - are you suppose to sit in front or back?

• 16-04-2015 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

you know when you order a taxi when it turns up are you supposed to sit in the front passenger seat or should you get in the back - is there any kind of Taxi etiquette or do you just sit where you want to sit lol - if you sit in the front does the taxi driver think 'bloody cheek you should be sitting in the back" or if you sit in the back do they think your being offish because you chose not to sit up in front with them - silly I know but i dont know how these things work and if its formal or informal or whether there are no rules or not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I sit in the back and I listen to Rihanna's Shut up and drive on my headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Front for a chat, back if you want to pay more attention to your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Sit where you want. You are paying for the service. I like to sit in the front as there is more leg room and I like to make sure Im not getting the scenic route home. But I think if you sit in the back, you dont really have to talk to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Front if you want to chat with them

Back if you want a quiet ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Easier to get at the seat belt in the front seat plus I can keep an eye on where he's going and if necessary give directions for the shortest route. Some taxis are so clapped out that the back seat can be a large hole into which you sink - the front seat gets less wear and is often the most comfortable!

To answer your question, there is no formal etiquette here. There certainly is in some places like in NYC where you really only consider the front seat if there's four of you, otherwise you go in the back without even thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

coylemj wrote: »
    .... To answer your question, there is no formal etiquette here. There certainly is in some places like in NYC where you really only consider the front seat if there's four of you, otherwise you go in the back without even thinking.

that was gonna be my other question - is it different for other countries and you just answered it thanks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

At night, for safety reasons, drivers don't like males sitting directly behind them and they don't like females sitting up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

that was gonna be my other question - is it different for other countries and you just answered it thanks....

Over here in Italy the rule is that you are one or a couple you sit in the back, more than two then one will sit in the front seat.
    Personally I always ask the driver where he wants me to sit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

:eek:

Do you ask your waiter what he'd like you to order as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If I'm drunk usually front so I can ****e talk all the way home. Very rarely get taxis sober.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I'm pretty sure the waiter tells you where to sit too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I think it's an act of courtesy to ask the driver what the rules on his car are.
    Some of them replied that they didn't want anybody in the front seat, others don't bother at all, others are glad to have one next to them to chat with along the route :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's a decent car I will sit in the back, if it's the usual rubbish I will sit in the front for the legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I always sit in the back, it makes me feel important :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Thought I'd seen this topic here before, and indeed it seems to be a perennial question — at least six other threads on this: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=taxi+sit+front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Victor wrote: »
    At night, for safety reasons, drivers don't like males sitting directly behind them and they don't like females sitting up front.

Really ?

Sit wherever you like, front or back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In London taxis, the space beside the driver is reserved for a bale of hay for the horse, that's the (semi) official reason why you can't sit in the front!

Stonewolf wrote: »
    I always sit in the back, it makes me feel important :D

yes i bet it make ye feel like the taxi driver is your own personal chauffeur :) ... you paying enough for the taxi journey ye may as well!

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Thought I'd seen this topic here before, and indeed it seems to be a perennial question — at least six other threads on this: http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=taxi+sit+front

ooops! - soz :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Really ?
    The two big risks at night are males grabbing the driver from behind and demanding money / the car and females making accusations of sexual assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Over here in Italy the rule is that you are one or a couple you sit in the back, more than two then one will sit in the front seat.

Sit in the f****** boot you weirdo!!! :D

Victor wrote: »
    The two big risks at night are males grabbing the driver from behind and demanding money / the car and females making accusations of sexual assault.

A male (or female) could attack a driver be they sitting in front or back .
    Likewise a female (or male ) could make an accusation of sexual assault against a driver be they sitting in front or back.
    In other words if an attacker wants to do something to a driver he will.

A male (or female) could attack a driver be they sitting in front or back .
    Likewise a female (or male ) could make an accusation of sexual assault against a driver be they sitting in front or back.
    In other words if an attacker wants to do something to a driver he will.

I think it's about likelihoods ......... a female is less likely than a male to attack a male taxi driver .......... a male is less likely than a female to make sexual accusations against a taxi driver.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I think it's about likelihoods ......... a female is less likely than a male to attack a male taxi driver .......... a male is less likely than a female to make sexual accusations against a taxi driver.

Hate to keep coming on as if I am correcting people , but believe it or not females do and have attacked drivers and males have made accusations against drivers.

Hate to keep coming on as if I am correcting people , but believe it or not females do and have attacked drivers and males have made accusations against drivers.

Hate to pull you up on this but I said likelihoods .......... as in statistically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You are coming across as correcting people

The poster didn't claim these incidents never happened, only that they were less likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hate taxis.

But if I have to take one, it's always the back seat. If in a group, someone else takes the front seat, they know I never would. Female here.

I sit where I am most comfortable, and for me, that's the back seat.

I am paying for a service, not a chat and a laugh with the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I always sit in the back but I've no real reason why

• Advertisement
Advertisement