Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf and Turf

Options
  • 17-04-2015 9:24am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may know I bedded finishing bulls on peat last winter. I mucked it out at the end of the closed period, into what I thought was a heap, but it has since almost spread itself, downhill mostly.

This gave me an idea, I'm thinking of dumping the bulls bedding into a watery tank of slurry,agitating it and spreading it with the slurry tank. Has anyone any experience of this? A slatted shed with lying area/creep area bedded in turf and some of it goes down the slats? Any problems spreading it? I don't own a dungspreader and I'm locked up with TB.

Not exactly SURF but there is sh1t loads of TURF involved:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

blue5000 wrote: »
    Some of you may know I bedded finishing bulls on peat last winter. I mucked it out at the end of the closed period, into what I thought was a heap, but it has since almost spread itself, downhill mostly.

This gave me an idea, I'm thinking of dumping the bulls bedding into a watery tank of slurry,agitating it and spreading it with the slurry tank. Has anyone any experience of this? A slatted shed with lying area/creep area bedded in turf and some of it goes down the slats? Any problems spreading it? I don't own a dungspreader and I'm locked up with TB.

Not exactly SURF but there is sh1t loads of TURF involved:o

Last year I had heifers in a one pen of slats out of a three bay shed that had about a foot of turf dust under them . It all fell through and there wasn't a bother agitating it . I was worried beforehand though that it might clog .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

a couple of clods of turf stuck in the tanker nozzle would really make your day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

a couple of clods of turf stuck in the tanker nozzle would really make your day :D

Lucky enough it didn't happen and there was a fair few clods in this stuff but I suppose they were well broken before they got down between the slats

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Blue how much was turf per ton/m3 delivered
    Ans how long did a load last under x amount of cattle??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ya have to keep stirring it under the cattle aswell don't ya

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

ellewood wrote: »
    Blue how much was turf per ton/m3 delivered
    Ans how long did a load last under x amount of cattle??

Twas either 270 or 370 (have to look it up) for a redrock silage trailer delivered. I only used about half of it. Started on dec 1st with 18 bulls in a shed approx 45' x 25'. Bulls on 12kg meal would be a lot drier though than cows or heifers on wet silage and only 1 or 2kg of meal. Started selling the bulls in January. Only advice I'd give is the shed needs to dry, with no rain blowing in or leaky gutters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mancity1

What difference would the turf dust do to the soil?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mancity1 wrote: »
    What difference would the turf dust do to the soil?
    I reckon it is like compost/ FYM, but I've never spread it before. Will probably use it on fields with high pH though.

Advertisement