Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please...dog with congestive heart failure.

• 17-04-2015 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All
    Some months ago, our ten year old JRx was diagnosed with advanced heart disease. She was put on vetmedin, frusemide and bexepril. Within days, she was like a puppy again. Because, there was still some fluid in her lungs later, the vet added Tempora.
    They were delighted with her at her check-up two weeks ago, no fluid, not breathless and full of energy.

However, on Tuesday, she had a set back, lots of fluid build up again, putting huge strain on her heart. Even the vets are puzzled.
    It seems she's not drinking enough, therefore not eliminating enough.
    Because of her teeth, her kibble has to be soaked, and I wondered if this could mean she's not getting enough 'salty' taste in her mouth, meaning she's not inclined to drink as much as she should.

Does anyone have experience of this or advice on what we can do?
    We're in bits watching our baby girl go downhill again.
    Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Maybe its time to forget about kibble and start to give her food that she will relish and eat with more enthuasism... When my old boy started to have medical problems, and was getting older, I swapped all of them over to home cooked food. I would make up a soupy brothy mix of chicken, rice, veg every week - he wolfed it down, and really enjoyed it... The kibble is already dry, even if you are soaking it - I wouldnt try to give anything salty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Unfortunately, she also suffers from pancreatitis, so is is on a very strict diet. No meat of any kind, only the kibble with some cooked green beans and carrots. I would love to give her all her old favourites, sausage, chicken etc. anything to make her happy, but sadly, those days are gone.
    I know she would relish what you cooked for your boy, bowl would be licked clean. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have an elderly dog with pancreatitis too, and I feed her a home-cooked diet with chicken and turkey breast as the meat component. The fat content of fresh chicken or turkey breast is lower than any dry food I know!

Her next appointment is on Thursday, so I will discuss a change to her diet with the vet.
    Over the last two days, she's been drinking a good amount and peeing as much as she needs to, so fingers crossed, this should help with the fluid build up.
    Thank you both so much for the advice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Fingers crossed for you and your pup Vickie! Glad to hear she's drinking better.

• Advertisement

Kylith, thank you. Honestly, you have been on my mind all week. I hope you are doing okay, God knows, I know how it feels to lose a precious fur baby.
    Hugs. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Kylith, thank you. Honestly, you have been on my mind all week. I hope you are doing okay, God knows, I know how it feels to lose a precious fur baby.
    Hugs. x

It's taken me a while to post in this thread simply because it's still so raw. I'm doing as well as I can. I know I made the right choice, hard as it was, and that helps.

You do everything you can for your pup. Talk to the vet about changing your girl's diet. Fingers crossed she keeps improving for you. Her drinking well is a good sign.

Hugs to you.

kylith wrote: »
    It's taken me a while to post in this thread simply because it's still so raw. I'm doing as well as I can. I know I made the right choice, hard as it was, and that helps.

You do everything you can for your pup. Talk to the vet about changing your girl's diet. Fingers crossed she keeps improving for you. Her drinking well is a good sign.

Hugs to you.

You absolutely made the right choice for your fur baby, never doubt that.
    I changed our girls Thursday appointment to tomorrow instead, just to make sure all is okay. She's flying around like a two year old today..so fingers crossed. :)
    Take care of yourself...and thank you. x

Advertisement