Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs Manchester United Match Thread 18/4/15 k/o 17.30 Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd rather watch boring defensive football than this United team full of divers - Young, Rooney, Herrera etc. always at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hazard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Diving ****..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

monkey9 wrote: »
    Winning football is always great when it's your team.

It goes back to an old argument about effective/winning football vs. good football. Effective/winning football is defended by its adherents by pointing out who wins the league. However, its not a model for other football teams because only one team wins the league. So every other team that tries to play that way plays bad/boring/defensive football and still doesn't succeed. Whereas trying to play good football is something that's a good blueprint for all teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Brilliant refereeing there to be fair I thought it was a peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

jesus chelsea are some boring team

Pathetic dive in the end , classy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Herrera went fishing there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Very disappointing, but that Chelsea team are woeful. Hazard the difference with help from Mike Dean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

jive wrote: »
    I'd rather watch boring defensive football than this United team full of divers - Young, Rooney, Herrera etc. always at it

Considering it's a Chelsea team of Ivanovic, Drogba, Hazard, Costa etc, hard to be on a high horse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Unlucky United.

I hate blue buses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

In fairness though, it's not like they play like this all the time. They were destroying team earlier on in the season playing good football. He mixes it up.

But certainly, in the business end, Mourinho pulls out all the stops,

Agreed at the start of the season, but all the years he's managed Chelsea, the amount of games they play like this would be of a considerable number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

jive wrote: »

Most ironic thing I've ever read there. Must have a shady memory pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can't argue with that. You won't score if you don't create the chances. Happy enough with the overall performance, Rooney in midfield was toxic as expected. There's not all that much between these sides when at full strength.

I wonder how many more will jump on the last minute dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Utd deserved a draw but you can see that mext year theyll be a really fangerous team.

Arsenal and Utd look more likley to challenger chelsea than City, right now.

Unlucky Utd today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

edgecutter wrote: »
    Very disappointing, but that Chelsea team are woeful. Hazard the difference with help from Mike Dean.

LOL

• Advertisement

Can't argue with that. You won't score if you don't create the chances. Happy enough with the overall performance, Rooney in midfield was toxic as expected. There's not all that much between these sides when at full strength.

Bit harsh on Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Enjoyed most of that, Chelsea lucky to get all 3. Chelsea are effective, pretty ugly but effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Barr wrote: »
    The more successful a side , the more they are despised.. just goes to show

I'm not buying that. I don't know too many non Real Madrid fans that didn't love the barca team of a few years ago.

Most neutrals love good quality entertaining football and anybody who suggests otherwise doesn't understand the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Great win in spite of Mike dean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

29% Ball Possession 71%
    7 Goal Attempts 13
    2 Shots on Goal 2
    2 Shots off Goal 8
    3 Blocked Shots 3

So United had far more possession and they only had more shots off target than chelsea?

Sounds like United are messing about keeping meaningless possession and taking bad shooting options and chelsea left them to it and created the same number of decent chances but were far more efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Very disappointing, but that Chelsea team are woeful..

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Disappointed yet strangely not disappointed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Ive watched United win the league many times but I dont think ive watched them purposely defend for most of the game to do it.

I would be disappointed watching my team play like that with the quality they have.

Anyway congrats Chelsea

im off to get some redbull

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sorry lads.

astradave wrote: »
    6SMTu9.png

tumblr_n5valvRWAW1qcflxzo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Most ironic thing I've ever read there. Must have a shady memory pal.
    titan18 wrote: »
    Considering it's a Chelsea team of Ivanovic, Drogba, Hazard, Costa etc, hard to be on a high horse

What's it got to do with Chelsea? I'm a Tony Pulis fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Nice win for Chelsea and the title is surely theirs.

They are not a great side though and it's unsurprising that they struggled against PSG, who are a better side than United.

United and City will strengthen this summer and Mourinho's reliance on a genius to make something happen so he can keep playing his pragmaball may not be enough in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Utd deserved a draw but you can see that mext year theyll be a really fangerous team.

Arsenal and Utd look more likley to challenger chelsea than City, right now.

Unlucky Utd today though.

Yeah, easy to say in one respect, but respect to Chelsea for taking the points. Their goal was very well worked and we never looked like conjuring anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Trilla wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Rooney.

Nah, he doesn't have the intelligence to play that role. He seems to think that pinging high balls out wide is his main job. Totally ineffective stuff for the most part.
    Really missed him up front but he's awful in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sand wrote: »
    It goes back to an old argument about effective/winning football vs. good football. Effective/winning football is defended by its adherents by pointing out who wins the league. However, its not a model for other football teams because only one team wins the league. So every other team that tries to play that way plays bad/boring/defensive football and still doesn't succeed. Whereas trying to play good football is something that's a good blueprint for all teams.

Yeah I mean you look back to the Wimbledon of the 80's or Graham Taylor's teams. Their philosophy was just to hoof it, long ball. That was it, every game.

But as I said in a previous post, Chelsea can play good football when they want to. But when it's business time, they dig in and win.

I'm saying this as a Liverpool fan who watched Chelsea come to Anfield last season and play like a League One team in an FA Cup tie.

I know it's frustrating for you today, but that's why Mourinho is a winner. Results when it matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Chelsea need to improved massively next season. Hazard took his opportunity well, but you cannot rely on those to win all the big games. Most of the time you'll end up losing. Utd have improved vastly this season credit to LVG. If he could get a decent strike force that can penetrate his team will be very very hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I can picture LVG debriefing United team by showing them the game again

tumblr_m0gbfeu31f1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

United probably got what they deserved from that game. I'm happy enough that LVG has moved them forward but some of his decisions still baffle me. No one except him thinks Rooney can play midfield and it was crazy to take Shaw off when he did. Twice DiMaria was looking for Blackett to pass him out and he didn't do it where Shaw would have. Blackett was actually shockingly poor in everything he did really.

Basically Chelsea had a great chance and took it, United had two and didn't take either.

Chelsea were always going to win the league but it would have been another step forward if United could have made more of a fist of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah I mean you look back to the Wimbledon of the 80's or Graham Taylor's teams. Their philosophy was just to hoof it, long ball. That was it, every game.

But as I said in a previous post, Chelsea can play good football when they want to. But when it's business time, they dig in and win.

I'm saying this as a Liverpool fan who watched Chelsea come to Anfield last season and play like a League One team in an FA Cup tie.

I know it's frustrating for you today, but that's why Mourinho is a winner. Results when it matters.

Yeah, you cant argue with Mourinho's record - the guy is pretty much a guarantee of a title every other season. But tbh, Chelsea fans paid in to watch United play today and see Chelsea capitalise on one moment. Ruthlessly efficient, yes. Statistically effective, yes. But would I pay to watch it? No. There may be a similar efficient and effective golf players, but I don't know because I cant stay awake to watch it.

From a United perspective, I'm pretty positive about the game. The result is only a goal in it. United dominated it, and will have come away feeling robbed/unlucky which is good for motivation and momentum. They certainly wont feel they were outclassed by Chelsea. Shaw did very well. McNair was also strong. Rooney had a quiet, but effective game - not unlike Carrick tbh. Falcao didn't do anything to make me think anyone at United would have brainfart and decide to pay 45 million sterling to keep him. And we are still tacked on for top three, all in our own power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    United probably got what they deserved from that game. I'm happy enough that LVG has moved them forward but some of his decisions still baffle me. No one except him thinks Rooney can play midfield and it was crazy to take Shaw off when he did. Twice DiMaria was looking for Blackett to pass him out and he didn't do it where Shaw would have. Blackett was actually shockingly poor in everything he did really.

Basically Chelsea had a great chance and took it, United had two and didn't take either.

Chelsea were always going to win the league but it would have been another step forward if United could have made more of a fist of today.

Shaw hadn't played in over a month. No big surprise that he didn't complete the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Rob Thomas wrote: »

Who would you have played in there instead of Rooney? With Carrick and Blind injured I'm struggling to think of any other options.

Maybe Fellaini with Di Maria further forward? But then Di Maria hasn't been great for a while and Fellaini hasn't convinced when played in the role Rooney played today.

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Ive watched United win the league many times but I dont think ive watched them purposely defend for most of the game to do it.

I would be disappointed watching my team play like that with the quality they have.

Anyway congrats Chelsea

im off to get some redbull

Going back a bit but do you remember Newcastle away where we robbed them with a Cantona header after defending for our lives... But in modern times I can't think of any.

• Advertisement

The more I see the goal , the sweeter it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Trilla wrote: »
    Going back a bit but do you remember Newcastle away where we robbed them with a Cantona header after defending for our lives... But in modern times I can't think of any.
    When we won the title in 11/12, United came to the Etihad for the third last game of the season and gave an ultra defensive display. A draw would have suited them perfectly, but it still shocked me to see such a lack of attacking threat from them that night. Ferguson never set up his teams that way normally.

Nah, he doesn't have the intelligence to play that role. He seems to think that pinging high balls out wide is his main job. Totally ineffective stuff for the most part.
    Really missed him up front but he's awful in midfield.

He wasn't influential but he grafted, won a few challenges and did his best in a role that isn't suited for him. Poor maybe but awful is a little harsh imo.

Herrera had a mixed game, the dive and the two runs he let go for two Chelsea chances (one was the goal) will stand against him, but he covered a lot of ground in there. Mata and Fellaini were average, Falcao needs games. I just don't like it when Januzaj comes on #sigh

Shaw, Smalling, McNair, Young and Valencia were good for us I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah so woeful that they're going to win the league at a canter... Wonder what you think of everyone else if Chelsea are 'woeful'

Barr wrote: »
    The more I see the goal , the sweeter it gets.

Nice to know the blue bus has an elegant 3rd or 4th gear in Hazard alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Drumpot wrote: »
    I do recall Jose playing a 6 man midfield at old Trafford in September last season so let's not pretend he has them playing samba football!

In any of the big games Chelsea played this season they adopted similar tactics to today.
    Liverpool away in the league,Liverpool home and away in the Carling cup,Utd home and away in the league,Arsenal home in the league,Man City home and away ,PSG home and away.
    Anytime they come up against a decent side Mourinho will go back to his primary style of play.

Sure Chelsea may have played some decent football against weaker teams who naively played into their hands but on the whole the standard of Chelsea's football this season has been poor.
    Mourinho plays the way that maximises the potential of the players he has at his disposal, and the way that suits the team, rather than any individual player, the best.

No ,he doesnt,he plays the same style irrespective of the players he has or the clubs he has managed.

He failed at Real Madrid to get them to play good open possession based football ,he mostly played counter attacking football like he does with Chelsea.
    He tried to stifle the Madrid players and get them to play his ugly football and most of his efforts at trying to nullify Barcelona were to kick them off the pitch .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Yeah so woeful that they're going to win the league at a canter... Wonder what you think of everyone else if Chelsea are 'woeful'

To be fair to chelsea, they're very good at beating the smaller teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

To be fair to chelsea, they're very good at beating the smaller teams

And unbeaten against the other teams in the top 6.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Nice pic reply but he has a point, wouldn't totally 100% agree with the ref comment although he did make mistakes.

Enjoy the win and the title but his point stands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement