Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talkin' To A Cactus & Succulent Enthusiast!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

To embed pictures you need to upload them to a photo hosting site somewhere. I use tinypic.com, which is handy as it will resize your image for you and will also give you a ready made link enclosed in IMG tags to insert straight into a post.

Here are some of mine ...

2eank2c.jpg

1zlsqv4.jpg

mb62xi.jpg

mvrgyd.jpg

2w7kfmo.jpg

2yxncrm.jpg

I lived in Germany too from 1980 to 1987, in Darmstadt, but moved to the Netherlands for 13 years before coming here. Some of the plants including the Crassula Ovata and the flowering cactus have made it through all those moves with me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

That's brilliant advice, thank you. I can see already I have been doing a lot of the things you're not supposed to do (wrong soil type and I think I have probably been slightly underwatering it). Hopefully now I might see some flowers this year.

Good to hear! Don't expect flowers in summer though, this plant flowers in winter, usually between Xmas and March. I've found some great tips on this species here http://www.bcss-liverpool.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Growing_Crassula_ovata.htm which comes by a member of the Liverpool branch of the BCSS (British Cactus & Succulent Society), so it probably offers good advice for us in Ireland due to similar climate conditions.
    This thread has been really interesting. I have it bookmarked and if I ever move into a south-facing place again, I will stock up on some of the more interesting variants you've mentioned.

If you can't provide a south-facing window sill, some genuses and species tolerate more shady conditions, for instance many Gasteria species. My Gasteria (not sure what species it is exactly) is constantly in a shady position: north-facing window which only gets occasional morning and evening sun in summer. It's one of my oldest plants, I've had it for maybe 30-35 years, and it seems to be doing fine.

BTW I've created a Facebook page for anyone interested to share info or ask questions in the future - if the boards admins are OK with it I will put the link up here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm going to wrap it up there, thank you so much to Pyxxel for his time and expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Dav wrote: »
    I'm going to wrap it up there, thank you so much to Pyxxel for his time and expertise.
    No problem at all, was my pleasure!

For those of you who want to continue the conversation, need more advice or have some tips themselves, I've created a Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/IrelandCactus

Feel free to like it, and you can post as well, but for the moment I have set it to approve posts.

For anyone not on Facebook feel free to message me here. If anyone wants some free starter plants I'm happy to give away some of my "babies" - either from my home in Dublin 15, or at one of the meetings of the DDCSS (cactus club) in the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin, Dublin. The next meeting will be on 11. June - the main gate will be open and security staff will know where we are! More info at http://www.irelandcactus.com/ :)

Thanks for all the questions, and happy growing!

207x9gm.jpg

- pyxxel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement