Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare Roots Staked?

• 17-04-2015 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I have some Siberian Privet and Field Maple bare roots to plant to make a hedge.

I would like advice on whether it is a necessity that they be staked? I don't really have any suitable stakes to hand it would be next week before I manage to get some.

How exactly should they be staked? With a vertical stake or using that 45 degree angle way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It isn't usually necessary to stake hedging. If it is a windy site it might be a good idea to put in a low barrier of wind break fabric while they get established, but with hardy hedging it should not be necessary. If the plants are tall (over, say 18 inches) I would suggest cutting the tops off, down by maybe a third, certainly remove the lead shoot. I know this may seem counter-productive, but it will make a much better hedge and not significantly delay growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

looksee wrote: »
    It isn't usually necessary to stake hedging. If it is a windy site it might be a good idea to put in a low barrier of wind break fabric while they get established, but with hardy hedging it should not be necessary. If the plants are tall (over, say 18 inches) I would suggest cutting the tops off, down by maybe a third, certainly remove the lead shoot. I know this may seem counter-productive, but it will make a much better hedge and not significantly delay growth.

I put down hedging on 2 boundaries last year I clipped one boundary and left the other.
    The clipped ones bushed out more and look a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

looksee wrote: »

I put down hedging on 2 boundaries last year I clipped one boundary and left the other.
    The clipped ones bushed out more and look a lot better

Advertisement