Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei HG658c low signal/range

Options
  • 17-04-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all. We moved to the new house. I got Vodafone fibre broadband. Everything is grand, speed is 95Mbps on cable, wifi is half speed... Issue is that house is too big (approx.180 sq.meters) and downstairs in dining room or far corner of the kitchen I can't get decent signal (router is upstairs in my gaming room :)
    I tried airport extreme in bridge mode with Huawei router but signal and speed is even worse. I disconnected airport extreme and I am using now just Huawei router. Also I bought Tp-link range extender WA850RE and plugged it in the living room. Now my speed downstairs in lower than my upload speed.
    My question is.. Can I buy just better router with better range/signal? If yes, which one? And can I use it without Huawei router or I have to use it in a bridge mode again? Thanks in advance for help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

You have the router in the wrong location for a start but if you are stuck then its tricky. What you really want to do is set up a wireless access point downstairs. The best way to do this would be to run a cable from the existing router ie one of the lan ports to the other router and create an access point (AP) If thats a no no then you need to use Homeplugs ie put one plug near the router hook it up with a lan cable put the other plug downstairs hook it up with a lan cable to another router put it in AP mode., I don't know that airport extreme it may be tricky to set up. And you can have quite a few homeplugs as well.

The problem you are going to have is configuring the huawei so I would always say use bridge mode but then you need a new router plus another router as an AP AND YOU ALREADY HAVE an Airport extreme plus that extender. That huawie is so bad its only useful as a modem ie not even worth using it as an access point.

Because you are upstairs the signal can struggle to get downstairs!! so getting a more expensive router may improve things but not a lot. The wireless signal in that huawei is very poor. I got VF fibre from the start and as I had previously a netgear wireless router I could tell instantly that Wi Fi was hopeless, I am in a bungalow. I got a netgear wdnr5400 and never looked back. I can use laptop in an outside shed!! BUT I had a plan and the router is positioned in the best possible location ie in the centre. I use mine in bridge mode as that ensures I get VF support in case things go tits up. You can buy a modem/router that will work and give better signal but you need to know how to configure it. I believe a fritzbox will work and a few others but its not worth the hassle and expense. The best wireless are ASUS, BUFFALO, NETGEAR.

Advertisement