Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoundLounge+ (Limerick) pres RUI DA SILVA @ The Basement

Options
  • 17-04-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Vd02QkD.jpg

On Bank Holiday Sunday, May 3rd, SoundLounge proudly brings You - World Renowned DJ / Producer :

Rui Da Silva

Rui Da Silva, is a DJ, producer and songwriter synonymous with pure electronic dance music and is one of Portugal’s greatest exports.Released in 2000, his iconic single, “Touch Me,” took the world by storm in monumental proportions, holding the “#1” chart position in several countries including the UK, Portugal and Greece.
    Since then, Da Silva has arisen to international fame, being dubbed one of the best tribal/progressive-house producers in the world. Traveling the globe to destinations as far-flung as Dubai, Colombia, Albania, Australia, Singapore, Germany, Greece and the U.S., Da Silva has had the pleasure of spinning at nightclubs and festivals internationally, including Space (Ibiza), Ushuaia (Ibiza), Ministry Of Sound (UK), Rock In Rio (Portugal) and Exit Festival (Serbia), among others.

Born in Lisbon, Portugal, in 1968, Rui Da Silva began his DJ career at the age of 12, playing for friends and experimenting with sounds. By 1992, Da Silva had created his own record label, Kaos Records, as well as having formed the legendary group, Underground Sound of Lisbon, one of the most influential electronic music bands in Portugal today.

"Before Kaos [Records], there was no dance scene in Portugal. These were really early days for EDM [electronic dance music] around the world, and we had to create everything from scratch; from making the music, to releasing the records all the way to organizing the parties and DJing. We became well known for organizing raves in one-off spaces like Castles, Convents and open air places," says Da Silva.

Starting in 1993, Kaos Records ran a series of parties in Portugal called, "A Week in Paradise Called Portugal," where international talent was brought in to play. The international press took notice, and soon the Portuguese dance music scene became known as a destination for the jet-setting EDM crowd.
    Underground Sound of Lisbon’s inaugural release, “So Get Up,” reached the “#1” spot on the Billboard Dance Chart in 1994, in addition to climbing various other dance music charts. The classic record received proper remixes from Danny Tenaglia and Junior Vasquez and quickly become a staple in the dance music community. “So Get Up” was heard frequently during Tenaglia’s and Vasquez’s DJ sets at New York’s infamous Sound Factory nightclub. Not only did the landmark record impact the New York music scene, it led the way for a generation of producers who followed.

Leaving Portugal in 1999 for London’s flourishing music scene, Da Silva received a high level of exposure throughout his constant networking. With the city of London as inspiration, Da Silva founded a new label in 2000, Kismet Records. A Turkish word for ‘fulfillment of destiny,’ ‘Kismet’ embodies Da Silva’s commitment to creating and sharing high-quality house music. With support from the biggest names in clubland, including, Sasha, Danny Tenaglia and John Digweed, Kismet gained a loyal following from the dance music cognoscenti. Kismet’s fourth release was the now iconic, “Touch Me” featuring Cassandra in 2000, a major crossover success that topped both pop and dance charts worldwide. Besides holding the #1 spot on various charts throughout several countries, "Touch Me" was the most played record in the UK for three solid months. Every influential DJ and producer in the industry supported "Touch Me" after it became a worldwide hit, but a few DJs bear mentioning for having helped put the single on top: Pete Tong for relentlessly hammering the track on his BBC-Radio1 show for weeks on end; and Paul Oakenfold for having played “Touch Me” an astounding five times in a single DJ set. When legendary tastemakers like that break a record, the resounding endorsement does not go unnoticed.

Other noteworthy releases from Rui Da Silva include 2001’s "Earth" (Kismet Records), a track that became a connoisseur's classic with support from DJs like Sasha. Playing "Earth" regularly on the Amnesia (Ibiza) terrace, as from the words of their resident, to this day, they have never seen a record create such an intense emotion on the Amnesia terrace.

Two thousand two’s "Saudade" (Kismet Records) became another signature track for Tenaglia throughout his sets. So much so that Tenaglia featured “Saudade” as the opening track on his Global Underground London compilation, helping annoint yet another classic from Da Silva.

"Pacman" was released in 2004 through 64 Records and it was an inspiring hit that still holds water today. Da Silva said, "Playing this record at Circo Loco in DC10 and seeing the damage the record created on the dance floor was just incredible."
    Fast-forward to the present day and Rui Da Silva has never been so inspired to produce new music. As a performer, Da Silva DJs mainly with Pioneer CDJ-2000Nexus, a Pioneer mixer and some effects boxes and samplers with his music stored on an SD card. Things have evolved a lot since his 1990s setup consisting of a drum machine and sampler. In the studio, Da Silva’s setup consists of LogicPro and Ableton Live, with hardware ranging the gamut from analog Roland TB-303, TR-909 and TR-808 drum machines and synths to newer gear like the Elektron Monomachine and even the odd circuit-bent instrument or two.
    After taking a three-year sabbatical from the music industry to raise a family and live in Ibiza, Da Silva returns to the studio with a renewed focus on pushing the boundaries of EDM. With eyes set on the explosive EDM scene in the U.S., plans are under way for experimenting with a more commercial sound of dance music though the underground will always be home for Da Silva.
    Said Da Silva, “After so many years in the business, I’m in a position to help people and develop new talent. I started producing before I began DJing, whereas now you’ll find DJs want to become producers. For me, producing will always come first. I see my DJing as a platform to share my work with a live audience and that thrill brings the music full-circle, to me.”

The five top Rui Da Silva tunes:

1. Rui Da Silva – “Touch Me” (2001)
    Certified Gold Record in the UK. Released by Kismet Records

2. Underground Sound Of Lisbon – “So Get Up” (1993)
    Released by Tribal Records. Charted “#1” on the U.S. Billboard Dance Chart in 1994 and in several dance music charts around the world. In the UK, it reached “top 10” of releases on independent labels.

3. Rui Da Silva – "New Lover" (2014)

4. Rui Da Silva – “Fire/Earth” (2001)
    Released on Kismet Records and licensed countless times to various mix compilations around the world.

5. Coco Da Silva – “Saudade” (2002)
    Released on Kismet Records and licensed countless times to various mix compilations around the world.

Your RIVERFEST Weekender is Complete !!!
    WE CAN'T WAIT ...............!
    CARLITO BRIGANTI
    TREVOR ROCHE
    * 5 Euro before 10.30pm // 10 Euro after.
    * The Basement, Glentworth St. (Left of the Entrance of Pery's Hotel).
    * To avoid disappointment please do come early.
    * R.O.A.R.
    * Dress with Finesse.

Advertisement