Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best views of Dublin City?

Options
  • 17-04-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

CCqHd_CW8AAiL9i.jpg

The Poolbeg Lighthouse photo from another thread got me wondering about views of our Fair City and where some amazing and maybe unusual vantage points may be hiding.

I know of the Viewpoints along the Kilakee Road, which is amazing. Brought binoculars up there the last time and it was great fun picking out landmarks. You can see the whole breadth of the city and county including the ships coming and and airplanes landing and departing. The above mentioned lighthouse, the Papal Cross if you're keen eyed, the Aviva, the remaining Ballymun flats.

What others are there? Has anyone been on top of Liberty Hall? Along the M50 between Blanchardstown and The Airport you can catch some nice views if you're a passenger or (careful driver). This one from Dunsink is defiantely a lesser seen one I'd imagine. Pic is small though.

4411844585_a69de6875e_m.jpg

So any other ideas, stories or photographs you'd like to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Very top of St. Stephens Green carpark is an odd, but nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Very top of St. Stephens Green carpark is an odd, but nice one.

There is only really a view of the Northside from it. But its still impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Rotunda hospital top floors

ballymun towers (gone now prety much)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

The view from anywhere on Blackglen road (near M50-J13) are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

From Three Rock Mountain above Rathfarnham

Mount Merrion's Deer Park also has decent views of the city from a suburban perspective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Bambi wrote: »
    Rotunda hospital top floors

ballymun towers (gone now prety much)

I was fortunate enough to get up at a charity abseil event. Stunning day helped a lot

https://flickr.com/photos/52206812@N00/sets/72157638222803156

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

the blue light pub has great views of the city

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Driving into Dublin along the M7 at night is nice, you can't really make out any landmarks, but the lights are spectacular and you know you're coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Howth head up behind the summit pub is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cro123

The marker rooftop bar, deer park, killiney hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cro123

The marker rooftop bar, deer park, killiney hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Nothing better than the view from the plane coming into Dublin. It's a real eyeopener on the shape of the city, and how rural Co. Dublin still is. Aside from that Mount Merrion has a decent view, and the view up at the Hellfire club is stunning.

Northside, the view along the cliff walk from Sutton to Howth (the nicest walk in Dublin bar none - it's like being in coastal Donegal or Kerry!) is good over near the Baily lighthouse end, but the Summit is probably better still. I quite liked the view out at the lighthouse at the end of the North Bull Wall and the one across the way at the end of the South Bull Wall. Both gave me a different perspective on the city.

Best views in Dublin:

1) Balscadden Road near Yeats' cottage, looking over at Ireland's Eye and Lambay Island - This house on Balscadden Road, Tara Hall, has the best view in Dublin

2) Coliemore Road, looking at the pier and out at Dalkey island. Spent all of last Sunday there just listening to the waves and soaking it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I remember walking up through the fields to Dunsink head in Fonglas years ago. It was still a dump at that time so you were dodging him lorries and waste trucks, but once you go up it was a mega view back into the city.

Good views from the Guinness Storehouse too.

7270069216_a073488853_c.jpgThe City Centre by kceire, on Flickr

7270060640_fdf4c65a8d_c.jpgThe Coombe And The Hills by kceire, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Here is another picture from Dunsink, pity about the horse in the picture but you can get the idea of what the view can be like up there.

This pic ls huge.

http://www.fingal.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Dunsink.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bit out of the way for most but I used to drive across the Ballinascorney road (Dublin mountains) from Brittas towards Bohernabreena and when you came over the mountain at the old quarry, you had a sudden great view of south Dublin.

Advertisement