Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness and Stuff

• 17-04-2015 5:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Gonna be doing hell and back in June (12km obstacle course http://www.hellandback.ie/) so may as well track what I do here for it. I'm also running a 5km race in May.
    I am in no way fit first off, bit overweight, so this will be a good challenge.

I completed c25k last year after a decade of sitting down! My first 5k took 37 mins. I then stopped for 6 months, started running again a month ago. Started off and did a few 6k runs, then a few 8k runs and finally a couple of 10k runs. I've ran maybe 100k in the last 1.5 months but have had to stop with injuries recently. Due to lack of exercise my joints haven't been holding up well. Hurt my hip, knee and ankles to far so i have learned to take it slow.

I go to the gym for non-running 4-5 days a week (generally 50 mins on crosstrainer or some light weights) and cycle to work and back every day (10 km total).

I find I have to run much slower outside than on a treadmill as I get hurt running anything over a jogging pace on concrete. PB 5k on treadmill is 27 mins, and 31 mins for concrete (that injured me for a week). I've only run a couple 10ks so far but they have been 65-67 mins each.

This month I have ran three 10ks, an 8.5k and a 3k. The 3k was last night and I had to stop wiht a sore knee, walked a further 4k. Mostly all jogging yet as anything more has ended up in injury. Going very slow but hope to increase once my body is more used to running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Welcome to the forum :-) there will be some more experienced folk than me along I'm sure with some great advice. Do you have a training plan you're following each week? Have you read about the 10% rule (when increasing distances)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks! Don't really have a plan, mostly I'm just gonna jog for an hour a few times a week and then maybe add in another day after a few weeks. I was reading this plan, looked good: https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/28tl60/how_long_realistically_would_it_take_my_4_mile/cieezxj

My problem so far is I'm jogging along and it seems really slow so for teh last few km I up the pace considerably and then hurt myself, so I must learn patience!

Advertisement