Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which experiments for LC Chemistry 2015?

• 17-04-2015 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

So there have been like 3-4 changes within the chemistry practical work.
    Can someone please list every experiment we should know for the LC this year as I am very confused. Some of the experiments don't require to actually carry them out but you still have to know the reactions and all that involved in the experiment. This makes me wonder whether I've learned everything I should have. I would be super grateful. Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/Senior-cycle/Subjects/Chemistry

Those are the instructions issued to schools. There is also a link to the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hydrocerium

Here's a list of the Mandatory Experiments,
    the theory content is supposed to stay the same so you should still know the theory behind the prep. of ethanal and ethanoic acid and the other experiments involving cobalt or chromium salts that used to be on just not actually carry them out.

1. Flame tests (Li, Na, K, Ba, Sr, Cu only).
    2. Recrystallisation of benzoic acid and determination of its melting point.
    3. Tests for anions in aqueous solutions (chloride, carbonate, nitrate, sulfate, phosphate, sulfite, hydrogencarbonate).
    4. Determination of the relative molecular mass of a volatile liquid (conical flask or gas syringe may be used).
    5. Preparation of a standard solution of sodium carbonate.
    6. Standardisation of a hydrochloric acid solution using a standard solution of sodium carbonate.
    6A. (Ordinary Level only) A hydrochloric acid/sodium hydroxide titration and its use to prepare sodium chloride.
    7. Determination of the concentration of ethanoic acid in vinegar.
    8. Determination of the amount of water of crystallisation in hydrated sodium carbonate.
    9. Redox reactions of group VII elements: halogens as oxidising agents (reactions with bromides, iodides, Fe2+ and sulfites). Displacement reactions of metals (Zn with Cu2+, Mg with Cu2+).
    10. A potassium manganate(VII)/ammonium iron(II) sulfate titration.
    11. Determination of the amount of iron in an iron tablet.
    12. An iodine/thiosulfate titration.
    13. Determination of the percentage (w/v) of hypochlorite in bleach.
    14. Monitoring the rate of production of oxygen from hydrogen peroxide, using manganese dioxide as a catalyst.
    15. Studying the effects on the reaction rate of (i) concentration and (ii) temperature, using sodium thiosulfate solution and hydrochloric acid.
    16. Simple experiments to illustrate Le Chatelier’s principle:
    Fe3+ + CNS– ⇌ Fe(CNS)2+ (to demonstrate the effects of both temperature changes and concentration changes on an equilibrium mixture).
    17. Estimation of total hardness using ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (edta). (Balanced ionic equation required.)
    18. Determination of total suspended and total dissolved solids (expressed as p.p.m.) by filtration and evaporation respectively. Determination of pH.
    19. Estimation of dissolved oxygen by redox titration.
    20. Colorimetric experiment to estimate free chlorine in swimming-pool water or bleach (using a colorimeter or a comparator).
    21. Preparation and properties of ethene [combustion, tests for unsaturation using acidified potassium manganate(VII) solution and bromine water].
    22. Preparation and properties of ethyne [combustion, tests for unsaturation using bromine water and acidified potassium manganate(VII) solution].
    23. Determination of the heat of reaction of hydrochloric acid with sodium hydroxide.
    24. Extraction of clove oil from cloves by steam distillation and liquid-liquid extraction of eugenol from the emulsion produced using cyclohexane (structure of eugenol required).
    25. Preparation of soap.
    26. Properties of:
    (a) ethanal [properties limited to reactions with (i) acidified potassium manganate(VII) solution, (ii) Fehling’s reagent, and (iii) ammoniacal silver nitrate]
    (b) ethanoic acid [properties limited to reactions with sodium carbonate, magnesium and ethanol].
    27. The oxidation of phenylmethanol (benzyl alcohol) to benzoic acid with potassium manganate (VII) solution in alkaline conditions. Calculation of percentage yield (the balanced equation will be given).
    28. Separation of a mixture of indicators using paper chromatography or thin-layer chromatography or column chromatography.

Advertisement