Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Weight Set

• 17-04-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a beginner weight set for a reasonable price. I came across this set at argos, which seems to be quite cheap. I only want it for the next few months as a beginner. I know that this set is highly recommended but paying €40 extra for the same weight when I won't be using it that long doesn't seem worth it to me. Is the first set alright or is it just a "buy cheap buy twice" situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

I wouldnt buy cheap weights but thats just me.. What do you mean you'll only be using them for a few months as a beginner?

Are you buying them in order to do a little bit of a workout for the summer and then throw them into the shed or away until next year?

If what you ment is that you were just going to increase the weight there wouldn't be any need to throw out the actual bars or the barbell. (unless you get to stage your lifting more than you can fit on the bars themselves) Could just buy heavier weights

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

I wouldnt buy cheap weights but thats just me.. What do you mean you'll only be using them for a few months as a beginner?

Are you buying them in order to do a little bit of a workout for the summer and then throw them into the shed or away until next year?

If what you ment is that you were just going to increase the weight there wouldn't be any need to throw out the actual bars or the barbell. (unless you get to stage your lifting more than you can fit on the bars themselves) Could just buy heavier weights
    I plan on using them until about October when I'll be in college and going to the gym there. There's no suitable gym around here so I'd like to be able to do the very basics at home at least (Bench, deadlift, row, overhead press etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could certainly use them to get your form right on the basic lifts. After a few weeks though, you'd probably be kicking yourself for buying cheap rather than buying inexpensive. There's a difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

I might just shell out over 100 for a set then. Anyone know where I could get a similar set delivered by courier as I'd like to avoid carrying a package over 50kg all the way out to the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Scirpt wrote: »
    I'd like to avoid carrying a package over 50kg all the way out to the car!

That your warmup set done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest, I think neither is great tbh.
    You won't get much out of deadlifts with 50kg, and the bar height will be very low. Working on bench press form is awkward with out a bench or rack. Floor press maybe.

If I had €50-100 to spend for a home gym I would go with either of those options.

Advertisement