Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2015

• 17-04-2015 8:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Any buzz about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Meh! Riverfest is boring at this stage.

I love Limerick and try not to be negative about the city but I've lost interest in Riverfest. It's the same thing year in, year out and they seem to be moving it away from the river too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The poster and the line up same every year
    Call it the Denmark st pub festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's lame alright. Has been for years. If not for the Great Limerick Run it would be terrible.

I don't think the organisers are up to it, to be honest. The same crowd are given the contract to run it by the Council year after year and it's piss poor year after year. What are the bets we'll have a street BBQ, and a half hour of fireworks on the Saturday. Don't get me started on the totally contrived 'national powerboat championships', their annual sop to the 'river' theme.

It's time for this event to be contracted out to a decent events company who might actually come up with an exciting programme that this city deserves.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It's contracted to Grooveyard this year (same crew as Patrick's day parade).
    I do agree though, it's been the same for years and needs refreshing. It's great to have something like it in Limerick and there's usually a good buzz around, just something different needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The name is fairly bad too, isn't it? Something incorporating the name of the city would get more recognition nationally and internationally I think.

Examples - Dublin Film Festival, Galway Arts Week, Cork Jazz Festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

zulutango wrote: »
    It's lame alright. Has been for years. If not for the Great Limerick Run it would be terrible.

I don't think the organisers are up to it, to be honest. The same crowd are given the contract to run it by the Council year after year and it's piss poor year after year. What are the bets we'll have a street BBQ, and a half hour of fireworks on the Saturday. Don't get me started on the totally contrived 'national powerboat championships', their annual sop to the 'river' theme.

It's time for this event to be contracted out to a decent events company who might actually come up with an exciting programme that this city deserves.

It is contracted out to a new events company this year. Unfortunately the lineup of events doesn't seem much different. The Continental Market is like a second rate version of the regular market.

With regards to river activities the website says : "The day will feature a Sailing Regatta, Gandelow racing and kayaking to name but a few of the events lined up for the public to enjoy." To name but a few - i.e. we haven't come up with any other events yet.

Also the name has been changed to Riverfest Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

This festival needs a submarine!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Here's the link for the events anyway

http://www.limerick.ie/riverfest/whatson/2012-05-05riverfestfireworks.html

Hopefully the sun comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

They should bring in some tall ships, Dungarvan had one at their maritime that you could go on. The had the Garda water dog unit and loads of little bits and pieces - coast guard demo etc.

BBQ is grand but its not exactly engaging or different or particularly maritime.

They should have seaplanes and bring in maybe a viking splash and the like. As others have said it centered on food/pubs which is a bit meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Here's the link for the events anyway

http://www.limerick.ie/riverfest/whatson/2012-05-05riverfestfireworks.html

Hopefully the sun comes out

Nathan Carter? Is that the best they could do?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

You've to laugh - it's Riverfest limerick - but it's got a GALWAY contact telephone number!
    To be brutally honest - it's the same thing, year in year out. Overpriced. Looks like a Boot sale when you walk off down Michael Street!
    They need a new PR person too. There's been no advertising about it. I saw one sign lately.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

LB6 wrote: »
    You've to laugh - it's Riverfest limerick - but it's got a GALWAY contact telephone number!
    To be brutally honest - it's the same thing, year in year out. Overpriced. Looks like a Boot sale when you walk off down Michael Street!
    They need a new PR person too. There's been no advertising about it. I saw one sign lately.

It's got a Galway number because the new events company running it this year is based in Galway. Therefore there's already a new PR person. How about waiting to see how the weekend goes before saying it's the same as always.

At least in the last few years we knew that something was coming up. There were flags on all the lamp standards on Shannon Bridge.

This year - nothing. Not great start for the NEW PR company!.

I'll hold off on the same ol' same ol' until I see something different!

Will it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I know this is a bit off topic but I have friends visiting for riverfest/great Limerick run this weekend. Is the speakeasy/Dr johns upstairs in The Blind Pig still opened? I really want to go there but saw something on their facebook a few weeks ago that they are closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Nathan Carter? Is that the best they could do?!?

NC is not the worst by any means but he is again an example of how they do things in Ireland. I think NC replaced the much worse Mike Denver who a few years ago was the chosen one.

Notice how each of these is flavour of the month one minute and dropped the next? Not a fan of Mike Denver the act (as distinct from the person: don't know what he is like as a person so can't judge; or even as a singer: he has a good singing voice if he got rid of the fake accent and the poor fare he sings). The act is created by the industry not by him and he has to follow. Nathan Carter the same (though he is imo better but just ok not anything exciting). And what about Jedward? If this festival was in 2011, they'd be all over. But now they're dropped.

In such an environment, real music is not allowed to develop. I have musician friends who constantly tell me how hard it is to make meaningful music in Ireland. Some good festivals like the Cork Jazz one are exceptions to the rule but most festivals are like the Riverside one: no theme, no effort, just a fulfilling of a contract.

They should have had Garth Brooks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

panda100 wrote: »
    I know this is a bit off topic but I have friends visiting for riverfest/great Limerick run this weekend. Is the speakeasy/Dr johns upstairs in The Blind Pig still opened? I really want to go there but saw something on their facebook a few weeks ago that they are closing.

They're reopening the basement this weekend! :D I think their old Facebook page might be disappearing soon, but no sign of any of the bars going.

Passed by the Continental Market earlier. Looks to be considerably smaller than other years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Just walked through the market. For its sized it has multiple of the same stalls. Absolutely mind boggling.

Just walked through the market. For its sized it has multiple of the same stalls. Absolutely mind boggling.

Just thinking the same thing. The hot dog/burger people seem to have 3/4 stalls there :confused:

That being said, it's a little less compact which makes it easier to walk up and down the street, I found it too packed in previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Just thinking the same thing. The hot dog/burger people seem to have 3/4 stalls there :confused:

That being said, it's a little less compact which makes it easier to walk up and down the street, I found it too packed in previous years.

Definitely less packed. Last year was crazy, but multiple hot dog, crepe and sweet stalls don't make for an international market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Not sure why I expected differently but I was a little taken aback when I walked through at around 1030 this morning and saw the guy who does the tartiflette dumping bags of frozen potato slices on the pan. Like someone else said it seemed to be a lot of the same things, nothing to attract me except possibly the guy with the massive grill/smoker stylie thing. Why would you want to buy pick'n'mix or nuts there honestly. As for the baklava they are up against a serious operator in the guy in the market (Ketif??)
    I don't like to knock things for no reason and hope this weekend will be great but that market is pure rubbish, at least if i'm to be overcharged for crap I'd prefer the money to stay in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

As for the baklava they are up against a serious operator in the guy in the market (Ketif??)
    I don't like to knock things for no reason and hope this weekend will be great but that market is pure rubbish, at least if i'm to be overcharged for crap I'd prefer the money to stay in Limerick.

Sefik is the name of the market baklava man. He is, as you said, a serious operator, and a gentleman to boot. I think he trades under the name of 'baile abhaile'.

I'd agree, I'd prefer to go to the normal Milk Market than anything along there, and I hate to knock it.
    You'd expect there to be continental bread, cheese, etc that you can't normally get here. Any chance more stalls will appear tomorrow?

On a side note, it looks like anyone running on Sunday is going to get rained on (yours truly included, though only the short run) :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I much prefer running in the rain. :D

An File wrote: »
    I much prefer running in the rain. :D

I go faster! I just don't like it :)

Xennon wrote: »
    This festival needs a submarine!

Looking at the weather today it wouldnt have been a bad idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

So, is it worth dragging my family into town tomorrow, anything new or interesting?

Advertisement