Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2015

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Great Limerick Run and the Riverfest should not be on the same weekend. It's so counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Limerick500

FutureGuy wrote: »
    The Great Limerick Run and the Riverfest should not be on the same weekend. It's so counterproductive.

The organisers of Riverfest though know that the Great Limerick Run guarantees huge crowds to the city on the Sunday not just comprising spectators but each runners usually brings a couple of friends/family members as support. If they moved the Great Limerick Run there is no amount of PR spin that could hide the fact that the tacky continental market doesn't draw people anymore. Why aren't the events down by the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭CONSI

Riverfest in its current guise is very much Dead in the water, excuse the pun.....A small, badly run market and some fireworks do not make a festival. The BBQ is a complete waste of time...agree with other posters, need to use more of the Viking heritage of the city, have some events at King Johns castle...get some tall ships or Irish Navy ships to come and dock and let people on...how about an air show, line the river and have something amazing for the kids to see...

CONSI wrote: »
    Riverfest in its current guise is very much Dead in the water, excuse the pun.....A small, badly run market and some fireworks do not make a festival. The BBQ is a complete waste of time...agree with other posters, need to use more of the Viking heritage of the city, have some events at King Johns castle...get some tall ships or Irish Navy ships to come and dock and let people on...how about an air show, line the river and have something amazing for the kids to see...

Completely agree. Was there anything on for children? Is it a case of having to fork out a small fortune on fast food and snacks to distract them from the fact that it's just a big bbq/market? Oh wait sorry I am forgetting the fashion show in Arthurs Quay! Boy they know their audience.....:-/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The organisers of Riverfest though know that the Great Limerick Run guarantees huge crowds to the city on the Sunday not just comprising spectators but each runners usually brings a couple of friends/family members as support. If they moved the Great Limerick Run there is no amount of PR spin that could hide the fact that the tacky continental market doesn't draw people anymore. Why aren't the events down by the river?

Yes but they are different crowds. As a runner, the last thing I'll be going is gorging on food that is sub-optimal for my run. Marathon runners will be avoiding unnecessary walking around. As for drinking, no runner will be out having pints at the weekend.

In addition, the city is very hard to access on the Sunday and you spend a few hours out in UL trying to get your race numbers on the Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd go along with that. No idea why the expo is on out in UL. It's a big arena and maybe they're getting a good deal, but its location makes it the wrong place. The traffic chaos on Saturday evening was a sight to behold. I'd have though the large function room in the basement of the Strand Hotel would have been ideal. It's big enough and most visitors would not have to drive to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Does Shannon Heritage have anything to do with the event? If not it's a massive missed opportunity. I've been to a few SH events recently and they are fabulous. Take the Easter Monday event in Bunratty for example. They have lots on for all ages, there are cartoon characters all over the grounds for the younger kids to hug and get their pictures taken with, Easter scavenger hunts, a small parade, bouncy castles of different sizes for different age ranges, train rides around the grounds, a wrestling show, a magic show, a climbing wall, lots of chocolate, competitions and a big disco with the cartoon characters at the end. As well as that you have all of the usual attractions of the animals, the folk village and the castle. It's an absolutely wonderful event and very well run. You pay in, but once you are inside everything else is covered and under 5s are free. There are also lots of regular events in King John's Castle, often aimed at older kids but usually relating to the history of the city and castle.

I know it would be different to organise as a city isn't the same as an enclosed park but just imagine how great it would be for families if there were different cartoon characters along the various streets and a scavenger hunt that kids could do that takes in all different areas of interest in the city. Have historical re-enactments that older kids could take part in, and street performers to do acts at regular intervals. Invite the people who run the St Mary's park regatta to arrange some boat races on one of the afternoons and have some of the cartoon characters there to amuse the younger children.

I brought my son into Riverfest last year and have zero intention of ever doing so again as there was so little to entertain him. I took him to Bunratty this Easter and will happily take him again every year until he is too old for it along with any other Shannon Heritage event I think will be age appropriate for him. Hell, the free family events that the Parkway SC has on at various holidays are fantastic and well run entertaining events worth making time for if you have young kids. Riverfest really isn't.

iguana wrote: »
    Does Shannon Heritage have anything to do with the event? If not it's a massive missed opportunity. I've been to a few SH events recently and they are fabulous. Take the Easter Monday event in Bunratty for example. They have lots on for all ages, there are cartoon characters all over the grounds for the younger kids to hug and get their pictures taken with, Easter scavenger hunts, a small parade, bouncy castles of different sizes for different age ranges, train rides around the grounds, a wrestling show, a magic show, a climbing wall, lots of chocolate, competitions and a big disco with the cartoon characters at the end. As well as that you have all of the usual attractions of the animals, the folk village and the castle. It's an absolutely wonderful event and very well run. You pay in, but once you are inside everything else is covered and under 5s are free. There are also lots of regular events in King John's Castle, often aimed at older kids but usually relating to the history of the city and castle.

I know it would be different to organise as a city isn't the same as an enclosed park but just imagine how great it would be for families if there were different cartoon characters along the various streets and a scavenger hunt that kids could do that takes in all different areas of interest in the city. Have historical re-enactments that older kids could take part in, and street performers to do acts at regular intervals. Invite the people who run the St Mary's park regatta to arrange some boat races on one of the afternoons and have some of the cartoon characters there to amuse the younger children.

I brought my son into Riverfest last year and have zero intention of ever doing so again as there was so little to entertain him. I took him to Bunratty this Easter and will happily take him again every year until he is too old for it along with any other Shannon Heritage event I think will be age appropriate for him. Hell, the free family events that the Parkway SC has on at various holidays are fantastic and well run entertaining events worth making time for if you have young kids. Riverfest really isn't.

Shannon Heritage are only interested in Bunratty Castle. King John's Castle is just a quick stop for the tourists on their coach tour on their way to the Cliffs of Moher. Shannon Heritage have no interest in Limerick city I'm sorry to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Shannon Heritage are only interested in Bunratty Castle. King John's Castle is just a quick stop for the tourists on their coach tour on their way to the Cliffs of Moher. Shannon Heritage have no interest in Limerick city I'm sorry to say.

So they operate King Johns Castle...but they have no interest in Limerick? Seriously?

Limerick is not easy to promote with its reputation issues, and a badly decaying city centre. That is the reality. Without King Johns Castle, it would be a lot worse off and KJC has gained a lot of exposure for Limerick since its revamp. Credit where it is due, and God knows Limerick needs all the positive exposure it can get.

If anyone seriously thinks Riverfest in its recent formats will attract international or any other tourists to Limerick on any reasonable scale, they are deluded. It doesn't even attract that many people from its neighbouring counties, never mind from anywhere else. (Great Limerick Run excepted)

Last weekend showed why. Its a p!ss poor excuse for a city festival. It hasn't developed at all, in fact it is regressing and this years offering was sh!te. The same market, fireworks and BBQ thing every year...and little else. The efforts in Arthus Quay Park were laughable

The Granny weekend showed what Limerick can do, but their seems to be no interest in repeating that. Its like the powers that be are waiting for someone else to do it and pay for it.

Nathan Carter.. that just about sums Riverfest up for me.

vkid wrote: »
    So they operate King Johns Castle...but they have no interest in Limerick? Seriously?

Limerick is not easy to promote with its reputation issues, and a badly decaying city centre. That is the reality. Without King Johns Castle, it would be a lot worse off and KJC has gained a lot of exposure for Limerick since its revamp. Credit where it is due, and God knows Limerick needs all the positive exposure it can get.

If anyone seriously thinks Riverfest in its recent formats will attract international or any other tourists to Limerick on any reasonable scale, they are deluded. It doesn't even attract that many people from its neighbouring counties, never mind from anywhere else. (Great Limerick Run excepted)

Last weekend showed why. Its a p!ss poor excuse for a city festival. It hasn't developed at all, in fact it is regressing and this years offering was sh!te. The same market, fireworks and BBQ thing every year...and little else. The efforts in Arthus Quay Park were laughable

The Granny weekend showed what Limerick can do, but their seems to be no interest in repeating that. Its like the powers that be are waiting for someone else to do it and pay for it.

Nathan Carter.. that just about sums Riverfest up for me.

The Granny's Journey by Royal de luxe was the undoubtedly the highlight of City of Culture 2014 and surprise surprise it wasn't the idea of the corporate suits. Former Artistic Director Karl Wallace had to fight tooth and nail to have it included on the programme and he was told it was a waste of money. I can't remember the figures but was it something like €1.5 million? Remember Jimmy Deenihan referring to the French company as "those puppets." The sweet irony that it was the success of the year and of course on the Nationwide special on the City of Culture there was Pat Cox taking the credit for the Granny. Riverfest needs a Karl Wallace type character to come in and breath new life to reinvigorate this tired festival. Something relevant to young and old. It has been reduced to something you'd see on an episode of Father Ted (except without the humour) with even the Lovely Girls competition on the Friday in the shape of a Fashion show. Time for change. Would they listen to what people of Limerick are saying? Do they care?

• Advertisement

Time for change. Would they listen to what people of Limerick are saying? Do they care?

A few people posting on boards.ie will change little imo. The usual Limerick "media" will be out in force on Thursday and Friday to tell us all how great the weekend was...and it brought millions to the city bla bla.

I don't think they do care to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

vkid wrote: »
    A few people posting on boards.ie will change little imo. The usual Limerick "media" will be out in force on Thursday and Friday to tell us all how great the weekend was...and it brought millions to the city bla bla.

I don't think they do care to be honest

Jesus it sounds like it was absolute horse manure.No doubt the usual cheerleaders like the leader will say it was a wonderful success.

sleepyman wrote: »
    Jesus it sounds like it was absolute horse manure.No doubt the usual cheerleaders like the leader will say it was a wonderful success.

We were only in there Saturday and it was very poor imo. It could be so much more.

Other people may have had a different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

zulutango wrote: »
    I'd go along with that. No idea why the expo is on out in UL. It's a big arena and maybe they're getting a good deal, but its location makes it the wrong place. The traffic chaos on Saturday evening was a sight to behold. I'd have though the large function room in the basement of the Strand Hotel would have been ideal. It's big enough and most visitors would not have to drive to it.

have to disagree. the run should be entirely based out of UL. Build the new Horizon mall and finish the original planned park and open area... put the glr there for start and finish and run it around ul and the river .

Right now The city has one plan ... save the city shops at any price. The fiasco that is the riverfest is proof. The intl traders that setup were in an internment camp way away from the "Fest"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

FutureGuy wrote: »

Plus one. I imagine the greatest minds and bodies from limerick were either running in or helping out with the GLR. No one left to carry the can for the riverfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Sean Amhlaoibh

Should be a great event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

An interesting take on the Riverfest Festival 2015................

https://brianleddin.wordpress.com/2015/05/06/riverfest-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gohaha

Hi, having organised market in Ireland for over the last 6 years, I have been contacted by the Festival Organiser who wanted to outsource to me the organisation of the market less than four weeks before the due date of the festival, with unspeakable financial conditions.

For future reference, I was wondering if someone could tell where the market was held this year. In other words, I'd like to know if my suggestions had been taken into considerations?

My experience of Councils in Ireland is appauling. As mentioned by Brian Leddin, the Councils in Ireland are not working properly or are the object of general misrepresentation.
    ie is a Council runs by an elected bunch of Councillor
    or is it run by a bunch of none elected and none accountable Civil Servants.

Over the years, I have seen disaster, mostly when people look at something well runs, found that easy, and decide to run it by themself,
    without understanding why and how it so smoothly run in the first place...
    When I mean disaster, I am considering the position of the casual traders brought into those mismanaged event, without the slightest bit of a vision
    or leadership, and losing a fortune, facts never shared neither on the local nor the national media.

A democratic process, should be going through an open selection process, for approval by Councillors (by way of a majority vote) and the Civil Servant to follow the Assembly of Councillors' decisions.

The lack of democracy at local level (but not limited to) is also well outlined in "Enough is enough" by Fintan O'Toole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

gohaha wrote: »

For future reference, I was wondering if someone could tell where the market was held this year.

It was held where it has always been held, down the side of the Granary on Michael street away from all shops and kind of near but not really near a river...shame really seeing as we spent all that money doing up the river walk to the castle only for the market to end up nowhere near it.

I wouldn't be surprised that you were contacted with hardly any time to organise anything, there was zero mention of Riverfest even a week beforehand and I was looking out for it as I used to love Riverfest! It was a complete farce this year.

I notice that the photos on the Riverfest website are from years ago and not recent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

how many thousands or millions of euro were spent widening footpaths and generally prettying up the Howley's Quay / Bishops Quay area in last few years. It could have hosted the market and entertainment, showcased the river, been close enough to city centre that random people in town would have heard and seen the activity. the quays combined with Bedford Row are a great wide open space just dying to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gohaha

I wouldn't be surprised that you were contacted with hardly any time to organise anything

"Whatdoicare" How did you guess? this first contacted me on St Patrick weekend, sending me a preagreement after 2 weeks, and then changing the terms every single day...! Time waster as me we may say!

gohaha wrote: »
    "Whatdoicare" How did you guess? this first contacted me on St Patrick weekend, sending me a preagreement after 2 weeks, and then changing the terms every single day...! Time waster as me we may say!

It's testimony that they were inexperienced and seemingly left it until the 11th hour to start organising.

Just saw this advert for Dublin Riverfest - this is what our Riverfest should have been :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick Riverfest could be worse...

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Just saw this advert for Dublin Riverfest - this is what our Riverfest should have been :mad:

Definitely needs more pirates

Treepole wrote: »
    Definitely needs more pirates

Well, obviously we have to replace pirates with Vikings. For added awesomeness.

Advertisement