Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst song ever to top Number One

Options
  • 17-04-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

IMO Scooter's dreadful cover of the Logical Song. Illogical
    or DJ Otzi's Hey Baby - World Cup 2002.

One Day At A Time too, surely, though it has poignant resonance for being my grandmother's favourite song, which she sang at every opportunity. "Cheating and stealiiiiiiiinnggg, violence and criiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

Rene and Renato with Save Your Love were No. 1 here too. Weren't they?

Actually, feck them all, most songs in the 1997-2007 period were jointly bloody awful, especially that period when Eurodance was huge here. "Fly on the wings of love" by XTM (a track which got as far as 160 in the UK but we embraced like the Second Coming), Lubega, Eiffel 65, Basshunter, O-Zone, Scooter, Cascada, Las Ketchup. Anything with a foreign accent and an electronic sample seemed to be poised as the next 1 hit wonder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I could list a load of terrible cheesy pop music from recent years, but for me it has to be Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Hearing that song actually makes me wish music didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I could list a load of terrible cheesy pop music from recent years, but for me it has to be Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Hearing that song actually makes me wish music didn't exist.

You have got to be f'ing kidding.

Anyway:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭George White

Blobby wasn't actually No. 1 here. Irishcharts.ie will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Birneybau wrote: »
    You have got to be f'ing kidding.
    My hate for Bohemian Rhapsody goes deep to the bone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

"Shaddap your face" by Joe Dolce.

This travesty actually kept "Vienna" by Ultravox from reaching No 1 in 1981.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Maniac 2000 and it was number 1 forever ..

Reached number one in the Irish Singles Chart, staying at that position for ten weeks (March 4 - May 6). It is the fourth best-selling single in the history of the chart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Barbra Streisand Woman In Love

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Chuck Berry's version of "My Ding-a-Ling" was his only #1 hit single in the USA.

This does not say much for the rest of his output. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Blobby wasn't actually No. 1 here. Irishcharts.ie will help.

but no one cares about the irish charts you only had to sell half a dozen records to get to no.1 over here, its the UK charts is where its at

and this has to be the worst...

this is a good source of info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Barbie Girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

philstar wrote: »
    but no one cares about the irish charts you only had to sell half a dozen records to get to no.1 over here, its the UK charts is where its at

and this has to be the worst...

this is a good source of info

Spitting Image gets a pass because it's Spitting Image and the TV show was a work of genius.

Let's not forget this kept John Lennon off the no. 1 spot:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Maniac 2000 is the worst ever. I stopped going to night clubs for a few months because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭George White

loyatemu wrote: »
    Spitting Image gets a pass because it's Spitting Image and the TV show was a work of genius.

Let's not forget this kept John Lennon off the no. 1 spot:

The one thing I remember from this was one of the kids says "butchery" at 0.53, although she's probably lisping "books to read", I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Maniac 2000 is the worst ever. I stopped going to night clubs for a few months because of it.

Didn't The Breakfast Roll song make it to number 1? If so, it's infinitely worse.
    But yeah, Maniac 2000; what the f*** were people on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Maniac 2000 and it was number 1 forever ..

Reached number one in the Irish Singles Chart, staying at that position for ten weeks (March 4 - May 6). It is the fourth best-selling single in the history of the chart.

Sweet Jesus,anyone who contributed to that thing making the charts should have been taken outside and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

"Show some Concern "
    It has Twink and Linda Martin caterwauling on it ffs!
    Burn it.....and them!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Crazy frog.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4591685.stm

Never forget.....

It did give us this though!
    @ 00:45 is just too funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Wannabe by The Spice Girls. The video is even worse than the song. Five airheads terrorising a homeless man and stealing his hat.

Advertisement