Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling tubing.....Acrylic vs Flex

Options
  • 17-04-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

Hoping I can get some guidance regarding the installation process of acrylic tubing? I currently have always used flex, however, for purely aesthetic reasons. I'm thinking of going down the hard-line route. Can anybody give some advise regarding the installations of this type along with how difficult or easy the bending process can be?

all information welcome!

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You would want to use PETG rather then acrylic for hard-line tubing. Its lasts longer and doesn't shatter.

If you want that sexy perfect length uniform water cooling look then hard-line is the way to go. But you need tools to do it, specifically around the bending. A jig to bend and a heat gun. I've never done it but I have bent copper piping. The principal is the same and its pretty easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Acrylic 100%. Flexible tubing looks pants now to me! From personal experience I would highly recommend E22's Ultra Clear Tubing. 5 meters work out at about €25. For me anyway, that gave me plenty of tubing to work with and practice a few bends and mess up a few more and still have some to spare.

You will need some patience, a bending cord (€2) and a heat gun (saw one in Aldi or Lidl the other day for a tenner). I wouldn't bother with the likes of the hardline mandrel kit, I made a jig out of a few bits of scrap plywood so it doesn't have to be expensive. Anything round will do to be honest if you're prepared to make a few attempts to get it right.

:EDIT: Have a look through my build log if you haven't, it shows some detailed pictures of bending and cutting acrylic and how I managed it.

20150406_142158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 XXXtitan

Hi Brian.

Firstly, thanks for the helpful information and pictures from your build log. Really appreciated

In terms of leaks, have you had much problem in that area? Also. What size Id/Od tubing would you recommend?

Could I email you a PM if I have any problems.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

No prob man. When I first turned the pump on I had a good few leaks but fortunately was well prepared and the only power was to the pump. It turns out that I had not pushed the tubes into the fittings enough. You have to really shove it right in, to the point you think the tube may shatter in your hand (it won't!) to make sure it correctly seated against the two O rings.

Since then it's been running fine without any trace of leak. The tubing I used was 10/12mm. I prefer the look of it to the thicker tubes.

It's all about preparation. Make sure you chamfer and clean the ends of the tubes. Wet the end of the tube and the O ring well before trying to connect them. And take all the usual precautions before you turn the pump on.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 XXXtitan

Hi lad.

Iv ordered some gear from overclockers to get me started. I'm going to install a small loop into a mid tower case I have handy. This will be good practice and experience with this level of tubing. I would have terrible fear of installing the wc loop into my new rig and have leaks. The fear of damaging my components.

• Advertisement
Advertisement