Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 9/3 - Thinking of moving due to crime??

Options
  • 17-04-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! I've really hated living in Dublin 3/9 for a long time now. I feel it has gotten very rough. I was really upset this evening when my 12 year old read the story of the learning disabled man who was attacked by teenagers in Fairview Park and threatened with being raped and set alight. Truly disgusting!!. A couple of weeks ago, there was that man murdered near the Cat and Cage, which very close to my son's school. Last year, a boy in my son's class saw a man being shot while walking to school. I know Fairview Park is notorious and that about 15 years ago that Italian boy was left paralysed after being beaten up there. There has been a murder and several assaults there since then. Our own house, not too far from the Park was burgled and ransacked in the middle of the day in 2011 - they took out the front upstairs window. Closer to town, I was attending Temple Street A&E with my son around 11.30 p.m. one night last year. As I was about to drive into a parking space across from the hospital, two guys, who I felt were high on drugs - I work with people who take illicit substances - backed out on my car, narrowly missing crashing into my car. I beeped my horn once to let them know I was there. They issued a string of expletives and then tried to ram my car. My self and my son fled in our car. They followed us right up to Fagan Pub in Drumcondra, coming really close to us and trying to ram my car. My son and I were terrified. Luckily we haven't had a reason to go to A&E in Temple St. since!

I'm from down the Country - we have crime there too. We have a drug problem there etc. but the the level of crime and the seriousness of it, is far less. My aunt lives in Lucan, in the village, and when she heard my son talking about the murder near the Cat and Cage, and the fact that his friend witnessed somebody being shot on this way to school etc. she feels the level and seriousness of crime is greater where I live in Dublin 3 and 9. I have teenagers growing up here and am worried. Does anyone feel like this about this area or other areas in Dublin. Would it make you want to move, or do you think this is OTT. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Move to the south side

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The majority of Dublin seems to have turned to crap. On Tuesday morning at 5:30 am, I cycled into the city coz I couldn't sleep. I passed 5 people in all around Grafton St. 2 were trying to kick the windows in on an ice cream shop and another charmer around the corner kept calling me a f**kface for no reason. The place is a hole. Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

nc19 wrote: »
    Move to the south side

/thread

Because some of the most heinous child abuse of recent times hasn't happened on the south side? Bloody stupid comment. If it was an attempt to be funny given the OP situation you need to take a look at yourself.

OP Fairview park doesn't have the best reputation for sure. That said a few serious assaults and, callous to say it I know, a murder now and again is fairly standard for near the centre to any large urban area.

The biggest problem people face is anti social behaviour. The only way to combat that is as a community, that's very difficult to do I'm afraid. Burglaries are a common issue all over Dublin I'm afraid. The City Centre has too high a concentration of heroin addicts who are responsible for 80% of domestic burglaries in Dublin.

Best of luck to you, Dublin is a great city but it's not devoid of it's social problems. D3 is seeing some creeping gentrification but it's going to be a while before much changes. Keep on to the local guards, try and get something going in the local community if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The majority of Dublin seems to have turned to crap. On Tuesday morning at 5:30 am, I cycled into the city coz I couldn't sleep. I passed 5 people in all around Grafton St. 2 were trying to kick the windows in on an ice cream shop and another charmer around the corner kept calling me a f**kface for no reason. The place is a hole. Stay safe.

Drunken dickheads in the City Centre of Dublin? Get outta town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Im sorry did you live in Dublin in the 1990s? Dublin was rough then. You didnt dream of leaving any visible in your car due to it almost being guaranteed to be broken into for it eg bags, even jackets. The Heroin crisis was far worse than what it is now. Half of Dublin 1 was basically crumbling buildings. The city was pretty horrific.

Dublin has never been safer. I know plenty of people living in what was no go zones 20 years ago eg Summerhill with no issues. I know people walking home on their own at 3am in north inner city with zero issues. Huges amount of this city has been gentrified. Capel Street has gone from Head shops/sex shops to nice Chinese Restaurants and cafes. Even Stoneybatter is a nice place to live now.

OP I have yet to hear of a innocent person getting killed in this city. Anyone who is killed tends to be as the Americans say "connected". That guy that killed in Drumcondra, wasnt a poor innocent hard working middle class man of Drumcondra. The day an innocent person gets shot in Dublin Ill be concerned.

Living in a Capital will have issues. Dublin has social issues, but any city of 1.8 Million people has. If you think living in Lucan will shelter your children from these issues, move. But they will experience them on their way to college, on nights out in Town. Children who are raised in Dublin city, even nice suburbs are street wise and will have skills, that sheltered children in the countryside will never have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If you feel that strongly about your safety & the safety of your children where you currently live of course you should relocate, but there are no guarantees that where you move to will be crime free either. Tell your aunt that Lucan isn't crime free by any means. Just as an example have a read of this: http://www.gazettegroup.com/news/18-burglaries-reported-space-one-week/ & this: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0316/602617-lucan-stephen-moran/ but as has already been mentioned most shootings involve people who are 'connected' so you've no guarantee that someone 'connected' won't move to any area or begin to frequent a pub/restaurant/gym in any area, or travel regularly through that area, leaving them open to be shot in that area. You'd be hard pressed to find an area in Dublin where a house hasn't been broken into. Nowhere is immune.

As regards being burgled, no matter where you live it's a matter of beefing up & adding to & constantly reviewing your security measures. It's a cat & mouse game - always trying to be one step ahead of the petty thieves & junkies. Making your house less attractive & more difficult to break into than your neighbours is the way to go IMO - I know it doesn't sound very community spirited but in my experience it goes a long way to deter opportunistic burglaries but there is very little you can do about a 'professional' job, but these are mostly limited to more affluent areas. Follow the tips from the garda website and/or most alarm co websites & of course neighbourhood watch is not to be underestimated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

hfallada wrote: »

OP I have yet to hear of a innocent person getting killed in this city. Anyone who is killed tends to be as the Americans say "connected". That guy that killed in Drumcondra, wasnt a poor innocent hard working middle class man of Drumcondra. The day an innocent person gets shot in Dublin Ill be concerned.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but - Donna Cleary. Totally innocent, shot dead through a window around 2006 in Coolock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thread closed. There is outright trolling happening here. This is not acceptable. I'm not sure quite where people think they are- but this is not an appropriate venue for posts denigrating areas- such as is happening here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement